Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdender 2011 And Rescue Cd Not Picking Up Viruses

Options
battleblazer
edited February 2022 in The Archive

Hi

I have created a support ticket for this a few days ago, but as yet still have not heard from anybody.

My faith in BD has been badly shaken. A virus was stopped from accessing my laptop about 2 weeks ago. After that, I decided to be sure and run the BitDefender Rescue CD. It had the latest virus definitions, so I did not worry about updating because I had problems connecting to the network as pointed out in a previous thread. After running the scan, it found a virus in the LibreOffice soffice.bin file which I deleted.

Libre Office did not work after that, so I reinstalled it and ran the Rescue Disc again, but this time checking my external drive as well. It showed the same file was infected but nothing else. So i deleted it again. Now I need Libre Office, so I decided to make sure about the virus. I downloaded the AVG rescue disk and ran it overnight with it also checking my external drive.

It found 19 viruses, 7 PuPs (I take are adware) and had 99 warnings. Now I need to point this out: BitDefender Rescue Disc did NOT find ANY of these things, but did have a false positive.

I realise the difficult job BitDefender has, but 19 virus infections????

I just thought BitDender needs to know about this. I unfortunately do not have the log file from AVG because - as I discovered afterwards, I needed to save it from the virtual drive. It is now too late to get it.

Please take this in the spirit it is offered. I am still using BD (currently).

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hello :)

Welcome to our forums.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Could you please tell me the ticket ID so I can search it in the system?

Thank you very much. Have a great weekend!

• Hi Christian

Thank you. The support id is 201203201025953, but I have now received a reply and is apparently being investigated. What should I do about the false positive regarding the soffice.bin file? BitDefender scan picks it up now as well and LibreOffice will not operate without it.

Best regards

Warwick

Welcome to our forums.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Could you please tell me the ticket ID so I can search it in the system?

Thank you very much. Have a great weekend!

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome back.

Could you please tell me which version of LibreOffice are you using? Is it the last one available?

I want to test to see if detection was removed for that file.

Take care.

• keiooz
    Options

Hi there.smile2.png

How does the Rescue CD works? I don't know where should I get started..

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forums.

You have here all the details:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=16602

Take care.

• Hi Christian

Apologies for not replying earlier. It happened with both the current latest version as well as earlier versions. I see it has now also shown that FireFox (latest) is infected but this only happens while scanning.

If these files are infected, then why did BitDefender not pick the infections up beforehand?

Best regards,

Warwick

Welcome back.

Could you please tell me which version of LibreOffice are you using? Is it the last one available?

I want to test to see if detection was removed for that file.

Take care.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

Have you tried to upgrade to Bitdefender 2012?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=223&id=42

The upgrade is Free of charge. Let me know if those files still get flagged.

Take care.

• battleblazer
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi Christian

I actually bought 2012 but after installing over 2011 (which 2012 uninstalled during installation), the PC became very unstable. I don't have a big powerful machine, but it is by no means a small one. AMD Athlone X2, 4 GB RAM, Win 7 Prof, etc.

Is BD 2012 more stable now?

Best regards,

Warwick

Have you tried to upgrade to Bitdefender 2012?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=223&id=42

The upgrade is Free of charge. Let me know if those files still get flagged.

Take care.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

It will run properly on that machine.

Please make sure that you uninstall all other security solutions before the installation process.

Take care.