Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

No Http At All After Bd Is 2013 Install

Options
GP_Racer
edited July 2012 in Installation

Hello. I have been using BitDefender for years, but I eventually left it after system resource issues. Last night, I decided to give it another go. I purchased Internet Security and downloaded the installer. All went well. The system did a restart and I was up and running with a few issues.

#1: My system resources were banging at 100%, and this is no small feat to accomplish as I am running an Alienware M17X. (See System Info below)

#2: All of my HTTP traffic was blocked. I got no blocked messages, I just could not load a single web page in any of my browsers. Not all internet traffic was blocked however. I was still able to open up and connect to my remote VPN. I was able to open up a torrent client and connect to that as well, just no WEB.

I uninstalled IS and restarted thinking this would solve the problem... wrong. I actually had to do a system restore to get back HTTP traffic.

I am hoping that someone out there has had this issue and can tell me what I need to do to fix it. It is quite annoying that I buy a new software bundle that completely frags my ability to be able to do something as simple as open up google.com. Any help is greatly appreciated.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name ALIENWARE_M17X

System Manufacturer alienware

System Model Alienware M17

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Extreme CPU Q9300 @ 2.53GHz, 2533 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Intel W841.B10, 10/14/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.99 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.17 GB

Total Virtual Memory 7.99 GB

Available Virtual Memory 6.02 GB

Page File Space 3.99 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Comments

• Wanted to add a few more bits of information to solve this riddle.

After I experienced the above, I uninstalled IS, and did a restart. After the restart, my HTTP traffic was still completely blocked. So I then went to a system restore point (the day before yesterday) and restored to that point. Whaalaaa, all was good with the world again, and I had web traffic back.

To validate that nothing else caused this anomaly, I repeated the install process with the exact same results. No HTTP and my system was consuming 100% of my CPU resources on both processors. I again did an uninstall, and again HTTP did not work until restored the system to a previous date.

Now, I am sitting with no AV protection, no firewall protection but my system is consuming only 2% of available resources, and of course (by the mere fact that I am posting to an HTTP site), I have web traffic again. I will tell you that I am no computer idiot. I am no genius either, so I am eagerly awaiting someone with insight into my issues. I gave many thanks in advance for that tech advice.

• Wanted to add a few more bits of information to solve this riddle.

After I experienced the above, I uninstalled IS, and did a restart. After the restart, my HTTP traffic was still completely blocked. So I then went to a system restore point (the day before yesterday) and restored to that point. Whaalaaa, all was good with the world again, and I had web traffic back.

To validate that nothing else caused this anomaly, I repeated the install process with the exact same results. No HTTP and my system was consuming 100% of my CPU resources on both processors. I again did an uninstall, and again HTTP did not work until restored the system to a previous date.

Now, I am sitting with no AV protection, no firewall protection but my system is consuming only 2% of available resources, and of course (by the mere fact that I am posting to an HTTP site), I have web traffic again. I will tell you that I am no computer idiot. I am no genius either, so I am eagerly awaiting someone with insight into my issues. I gave many thanks in advance for that tech advice.

I had a similar problem (x64, install didn't really work 100%, BD was only partially functional afterwards, could not access any pages in any browser etc. etc., tried various uninstalls / reinstalls / system restores etc. What helped for me was after installing BD and it was not working well, I did the "Repair" option from the Start > Bitdefender 2013 > Repair or Uninstall. After rebooting it was working much better, but I do still get the browser unable to browse anything problem after several hours of use. Hoping a new version will fix this.

Cheers

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi :)

Welcome (back) to the forums!

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day.

• Was there a resolution to this? I just upgraded internet security 2011 to 2013 and I'm also unable to use my browser. It just stays stuck connecting. My internet connection is fine as i'm able to ping websites and use my ventrilo client successfully. The only issue I have is web browsing using IE9 on windows 7 x64. I've also tried uninstalling, repairing, etc. with no success.

I also do not want to go thru the hassel of generating a log file for a fresh install. This is why i'm asking if there was a resolution to this post the OP made.

If no resolution has been found, I might as well install 2011 back as it seems 2013 has many issues reading thru the forums.

• I figured it out after hours of reading other peoples post. I followed VFilipov's suggestion

Press the start button and type in the search box cmd, run it as administrator!

In cmd, type netsh winsock reset catalog and press Enter

Now restart your computer and the problem is gone!

The above worked for me. Thanks VFilipov

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Microsoft has also a KB for this over here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Have a great day!