[resolved] Firefox Unable To Get Connection Occasionally

Duradel
edited July 2012 in Privacy

Workaround:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=150213

Once in awhile I notice that Firefox tends to stop working and I basically need to kill the firefox.exe process off in order to get a connection back for it. Anyone else encountered this problem and found a way to fix it?

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Firefox 13.0.1

I've followed the recommended firewall settings thread's instructions and the problem still occurs.

Comments

• Duradel
    edited July 2012

Currently running BitDefender Total Security 2013 Build 16.16.0.1349

• Duradel
    edited July 2012

I was wondering if someone could explain what "Stealth Mode" & "Generic" mean in the manage adapters section of the firewall settings?

The sticky thread doesn't actually explain why we need to change the settings nor does it explain why they aren't the default settings to start with o.O

• Duradel
    edited July 2012

Example:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at forum.bitdefender.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as

ww.example.com instead of

www.example.com

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

• The problem doesn't seem to be isolated to FF. When this occurs I notice all browsing is disabled and all of a sudden there is some HD activity and then the browsing is back again.

• Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Please lock this thread.

• No ones even going to lock my thread for me?

• Posting on my progress again (wishes I could edit my posts instead of creating new ones each time).

Ever since uninstalling Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete I haven't had the problem with disconnections.

I'll need to look into which files need to be added as exceptions in each program at some point but hopefully that should stop the immediate problem from re-occurring.

• No ones even going to lock my thread for me?

Given the level of response from Bitdefender on these forums I am getting the idea that the last person has left without turning off the lights!

There is another thread in the general section regarding firefox, with a similar lack of help from BD :huh:

Show thread

• Given the level of response from Bitdefender on these forums I am getting the idea that the last person has left without turning off the lights!

There is another thread in the general section regarding firefox, with a similar lack of help from BD :huh: i

Show thread

I think your right, I've haven't seen any response from Bitdefender in weeks ... looks like everyones on their own !

Mozilla anything and Bitdefender DO NOT work together ! Please FIX IT !

• I think your right, I've haven't seen any response from Bitdefender in weeks ... looks like everyones on their own !

Looks like they want us to troubleshoot our own problems and post the resolutions here so they can claim they thought them up -.-

Firefox seems to be working OK for me right now with no problems. Using version 14.0.1 now.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Thank you for your feedback!

Let's try something and please confirm me if everything is OK after.

Please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray(the "B" icon) and choose "Show". In the main window, click on "Settings". From the advanced interface, click on Privacy Control module and select the Antiphishing tab.

Please disable all the options from there and reboot your machine.

Let me know if everything is OK now.

Take care.

• Firefox crashed 3 times this morning.

Went through the Privacy procedure as outlined above and repeated one of the actions that has frequently crashed FF. No crash, though did get a red critical warning on BD about Anti-Phish being off.

Restored all anti-phish options as outlined, then noticed that Windows 7 was warning that firewall, virus protection and anti-spam were all turned off. Went into BD and saw that Auto Pilot had been changed to User Mode although all seemed to be running and the B icon was in place. Changed back to Auto Pilot but W7 warning still there. Rebooted. All OK.

Went back online and repeated the procedure that had often caused FF to crash (anti-phish now restored to ON) and no crash. Yet.

• Tom H
    edited July 2012

Just did as suggested and still within a couple of minutes I got a crash ... here it is :

about:crashes

Yesterday morning I counted 14 references to Bitdefender.

• ... and I have just had two crashes of FF.

Disabling a major part of BitDef cannot be a solution to the problem.

• I am not getting any crashes at all so I don't believe this is a BD issue. More like a FF issue. But I am using "Pale Moon" a FF Derivative Version 12.3

Pale Moon Project

• I have this issue as well. Can't load more than 5 pages without it crashing my Firefox.

• Towle
    edited July 2012

Can you guys use Pale Moon FF browser without crashing?

• HyperFocus
    edited July 2012

Hi Guys,

I upgraded to Firefox 15 (beta) and all problems seems to be solved.

After 24 hours the browser didn't crash any more.

Regards,

Richard

• AstroMax
    edited July 2012
    Hi Guys,

I upgraded to Firefox 15 (beta) and all problems seems to be solved.

After 24 hours the browser didn't crash any more.

Regards,

Richard

Yes, read somewhere else also that 15 beta seems to be stable, so I guess it's really a FF issue.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Thank you very much for your feedback!

For those that still encounter the same issue, could you please update to Firefox 15 Beta and let me know if everything is OK after?

http://www.mozilla.org/en/firefox/beta/

Thank you!

• I installed FF 15 beta, have played with it for one hour and NO CRASH (cross fingers).

IMHO the problem is FF 14.0.1.

• I installed the FF15 beta but FF is STILL crashing...just not as often.

• Check that you have latest Flash Player 11.3.300.265 installed

• Only 1 crash in first hour on FF15....otherwise so far so good.

• We shouldn't have to install an unstable beta version to fix a problem... firefox continues to crash, everything is up to date, turned off all browser protection setting off bit defender, turned of computer, hard searched for more updates on anything and restarted again... still crashes.. im turning off cloud protection, BD toolbar, search adviser, SSL scanning, protection against fraud, phising and for IM, antivirus is set to normal, firewall to permissive... deleted all cache and re-purged my ip.. restarted all routers and removed all backup power... what else is there to do??

• I was having the problem with constant crashes with Firefox 14.0.1, I "upgraded" to the version 15 beta and have had no crashes for 2 days now going to the same pages I do on a daily basis and also looking at pages with a flash videos and java ****** that would cause 14.0.1 to crash... so far so good with the beta. I imagine they'll do a final release of this version soon.

• Mozilla QA is happy to help with this issue, but we haven't had success being able to reliably reproduce this issue. Bug 530074 is on file for this issue but we need more information from users regarding:

*Exact settings that are configured in BitDefender

*Did you install the Root Certificate?

*What are you doing when the crash happens? One person mentioned it happens more when running Flash.

*Does it only happen with Firefox 14.0.1 or other Firefox versions as well?

I think your right, I've haven't seen any response from Bitdefender in weeks ... looks like everyones on their own !

• I downgraded to Firefox 12 - that works.

• Towle
    edited July 2012

Does not happen with Pale Moon 12.3 -x64 version (64 bit) a Firefox derivative optimised browser

Pale Moon

• MartineM
    edited July 2012
    Yes, read somewhere else also that 15 beta seems to be stable, so I guess it's really a FF issue.

I am glad I found this, It was getting on my nerves because of Firfox crashing every 5 minutes or so on my PC and laptop sins I installed Bitdefender 13 but this Beta version seems to be stable now.

Thanks.

• (BD dev here). I asked QA about bug #530074 at mozilla and they said a fix for a bug very similar to #530074 will be put on update next Monday (July 30th).

Thanks adean14, towley, firefoxenthusiast, astromax and the others for chasing this.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

As my colleague mentioned, the current situation will be fixed soon from our side and via an updated version on Mozilla Firefox.

Thank you in advance for your patience!

• Just installed new update for 15 beta, no crashes at all!

• However I have a problem with Bitdefender shopping cart page in FF: what I get is this one

post-107140-1343679569_thumb.jpg

and I am not able to continue.

This does not happen in IE9, where I get (here is top part of page):

post-107140-1343679802_thumb.jpg

Is it only me?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Are you talking about Firefox 15 Beta or 14?

Thank you!

• Hello :)

Are you talking about Firefox 15 Beta or 14?

Thank you!

FF 15 beta, don't know if it happens also in FF 14.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

I have tested now that page and seems to be working properly with Firefox 15.

Could you please send me the buy link that you accessed?

Thank you!

I have tested now that page and seems to be working properly with Firefox 15.

Could you please send me the buy link that you accessed?

Thank you!

I first go here:

https://store.bitdefender.com/order/checkou...-security.html#

then I hit "Billing and payment info"

and this is the page I get

post-107140-1343741135_thumb.jpg

note that its URL is the same as the one above.

I have Italian FF 15 beta, but the language should not matter.

If I use Safepay, all is OK.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

I have tested your scenario and I can see that billing page on Firefox 15 Beta English version.

post-9374-1343746009_thumb.png

Thank you!

I have tested your scenario and I can see that billing page on Firefox 15 Beta English version.

Thank you!

Well, I am glad for BD that it is my problem! Thanks.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Maybe one of the extensions installed generated the issue. Have you tried to start Firefox with the extensions disabled?

Take care

Maybe one of the extensions installed generated the issue. Have you tried to start Firefox with the extensions disabled?

Take care

You are right, it is some plug-in that causes the problem. In safe mode I get the right page. Good to know.

It's nice when problems get solved.

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    You are right, it is some plug-in that causes the problem. In safe mode I get the right page. Good to know.

It's nice when problems get solved.

Which extension(s) is causing the problem? I will report it to the developer.

• Which extension(s) is causing the problem? I will report it to the developer.

Well, in Safe Mode all of them are disabled so at present I can only guess (today I don't have time to disable them one by one).

It could be:

Ghostery

Better Privacy

NoScript

DoNotTrackPlus

• Odd. I uninstalled BD with their Uninstaller and computer runs fine with Firefox beta too. No more crashes and "Tell us about it" messages.

I was also having an issue with OpenOffice.org crashing repeatedly, and it stopped crashing since I remove BD 2013 as well. I believe OpenOffice on launching calls home for updates so maybe why it crashes with BD 2013?

I don't know why it is disabling my Netgear router either. I would run the Windows Troubleshooter and it would restore the net connection. I get some sort of "Net Sessions lost" which has also ceased since removing BD 2013 under Windows 7. My XP machine was crashing also with Firefox 15 beta 1. Worse is it would not alwyas shut down either with BD running and even scheduled to shut down after a run.

I reinstalled the newest versions of BD 2013 and it still is causing crashes. Uninstall it and it runs smoothly. BD does seem to show up in Firefox about:crashes listings a lot for some reason. I don't see it in the Firefox plugins though.

I uninstalled Firefox, all Java, Flash, and reinstalled all, and it still will randomly crash. I uninstall BD 2013 and it stops crashing. Seems worse in Windows 7 64 bit than XP too.

Mack

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited August 2012

I have Windows 7 64 bit, OpenOffice 3.4, and Firefox 14.0.1 and have had no crashes. I have BD antivirus 2013. I have read that the parental control driver may cause this. Maybe this is why I have not had any problems with crashes. I wonder if there is any way to disable the parental control driver for testing?

• I have Windows 7 64 bit, OpenOffice 3.4, and Firefox 14.0.1 and have had no crashes. I have BD antivirus 2013. I have read that the parental control driver may cause this. Maybe this is why I have not had any problems with crashes. I wonder if there is any way to disable the parental control driver for testing?

This may help as far as that process of elimination/test driving: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=147857

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Odd. I uninstalled BD with their Uninstaller and computer runs fine with Firefox beta too. No more crashes and "Tell us about it" messages.

I was also having an issue with OpenOffice.org crashing repeatedly, and it stopped crashing since I remove BD 2013 as well. I believe OpenOffice on launching calls home for updates so maybe why it crashes with BD 2013?

I don't know why it is disabling my Netgear router either. I would run the Windows Troubleshooter and it would restore the net connection. I get some sort of "Net Sessions lost" which has also ceased since removing BD 2013 under Windows 7. My XP machine was crashing also with Firefox 15 beta 1. Worse is it would not alwyas shut down either with BD running and even scheduled to shut down after a run.

I reinstalled the newest versions of BD 2013 and it still is causing crashes. Uninstall it and it runs smoothly. BD does seem to show up in Firefox about:crashes listings a lot for some reason. I don't see it in the Firefox plugins though.

I uninstalled Firefox, all Java, Flash, and reinstalled all, and it still will randomly crash. I uninstall BD 2013 and it stops crashing. Seems worse in Windows 7 64 bit than XP too.

Mack

It appears like there is a fix for a crash in Firefox along with many other fixes in the new program update. You might want to update to 16.18.0.1406 to see if it solves your problem.

Change log: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry151654

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

We did release that update yesterday and the issue should be resolved on our side.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=151654

Also, when Mozilla will release Firefox 15 Final, all the issues should be resolved.

Take care.