Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is It Possible To Have Bitdefender Ask Me What To Do When Detecting An Infected File?

Options

Hi there.

I just bought Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 today.

After installing it, I did a full system scan. It found a few infected files and deleted them instantly. The problem is, all of them were false positives. The files it detected as infected were all copies of a small executable, that I've been using for a long time.

Instead of just deleting the files, I'd like Bitdefender to ask me what I want to do with the infected files. Is this possible?

Also, after Bitdefender deleted the files, I re-downloaded the executable. But upon extracting it from the zip-archive, Bitdefender immediately deleted the executable again. So now I don't know how keep Bitdefender from deleting that file, so that I can copy it to the ~10 locations where I previously had copies.

Comments

• coolcool1227
    Options
    Hi there.

I just bought Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 today.

After installing it, I did a full system scan. It found a few infected files and deleted them instantly. The problem is, all of them were false positives. The files it detected as infected were all copies of a small executable, that I've been using for a long time.

Instead of just deleting the files, I'd like Bitdefender to ask me what I want to do with the infected files. Is this possible?

Also, after Bitdefender deleted the files, I re-downloaded the executable. But upon extracting it from the zip-archive, Bitdefender immediately deleted the executable again. So now I don't know how keep Bitdefender from deleting that file, so that I can copy it to the ~10 locations where I previously had copies.

What you are asking is not present in the product at present but a feature request for the same is posted here Prompt For Action

• columbo
    columbo
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Riboe, and welcome :)

In order to not have that file be deleted, you will have to include it in exclusions. You may then also have to turn off On Access Scanning, in Antivirus settings, depending on if Bitdefender excludes all parts of the unzipped file, and exclude the .exe file. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35502

As ONT mentioned, we are hoping for more user control options, but for now, until then, you can set the default to Quarantine, as to not automatically delete files: go to Settings/Antivirus/on access scanning/Modify/Actions/Move file to quarantine, and then to hopefully exclude any future files.

Hope this helped,

Columbo

• ................... But upon extracting it from the zip-archive, Bitdefender immediately deleted the executable again. So now I don't know how keep Bitdefender from deleting that file, so that I can copy it to the ~10 locations where I previously had copies.

Just stop antivirus for the time you need (in antivirus settings) then it will not delete your files. Of course when you turn antivirus on it may delete them.

The way to keep them is to zip/rar them with a password, so that antivirus will not be able to look at them.

• Riboe
    Options
    What you are asking is not present in the product at present but a feature request for the same is posted here Prompt For Action

That's a shame. I consider it to be a basic feature for any anti-virus software. I might be switching away from Bitdefender already then... At least until this feature is added.

For any Bitdefender employee, who might be reading this, I've posted a slightly longer response in the thread linked above.

• That's a shame. I consider it to be a basic feature for any anti-virus software. I might be switching away from Bitdefender already then... At least until this feature is added.

For any Bitdefender employee, who might be reading this, I've posted a slightly longer response in the thread linked above.

Other products behave in the same way for security reason.

You can follow Columbos' advice and wait for more user control options.

• Riboe
    Options
    Other products behave in the same way for security reason.

You can follow Columbos' advice and wait for more user control options.

I've never tried any anti-virus software without this feature. Some products might have it disabled by default, but at least you could turn it on if you wanted.

• coolcool1227
    Options
    That's a shame. I consider it to be a basic feature for any anti-virus software. I might be switching away from Bitdefender already then... At least until this feature is added.

Its not a shame, its Silent Security introduced by the Bitdefender since the release of 2012 version. But its so Silent for Advanced Users. I also suggested a Advanced Notification system here Separate Notification/pop-up Settings For All Modules.

• Riboe
    Options
    Its not a shame, its Silent Security introduced by the Bitdefender since the release of 2012 version. But its so Silent for Advanced Users. I also suggested a Advanced Notification system here Separate Notification/pop-up Settings For All Modules.

I think it's a shame. Why remove the option for advanced users to have control over what happens when infected files are found, in favor of letting BD users have little or no control over their own files?

• I think it's a shame. Why remove the option for advanced users to have control over what happens when infected files are found, in favor of letting BD users have little or no control over their own files?

This is a pretty common feature. Other antivirus packages I've used in the past often will quarantine files that are suspicious then ask the owner what he would like to do with them. Therefore momentarily they are kept from causing harm to your computer and then you can decide to override. While running in silent mode is certainly a desireable feature being able to toggle it off and on seems like a no brainer. I own this computer but I have no idea what this software is deleting in the background.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

A feature request has been posted by ONT here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35631

This discussion will continue over there if you have suggestions.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.