Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Cannot Uninstall Bdav W/control Panel Or Bd Uninstall App

Options

I'm new Bitdefender user and it appears that Bitdefender Antivirus 2013 has become a virus and has hijacked my system.

The only program Bitdefender wants to run on my system is Bitdefender itself and not much else.

This scenario reminds me of SkyNet in The Terminator movies.

I'm using Win-XP-Pro-SP3

After installing BD AV 2013, the prog has taken over all my critical computer functions including the ability to configure

my folder views. I can no longer view my system files and System Volume Information folder.

Most importantly I cannot uninstall Bitdefender AntiVirus 2013 with either the Wndows Control Panel or the Bitdefender

uninstall app that installs with the program.

I also cannot complete a repair function of Bitdefender. It just hangs at about 30%. I let it run for over two hours with no change in status.

I had to stop it with Task Manager.

Can anyone point me to a complete manual uninstall solution?

BTW - I want to completely remove Bitdefender from my system forever and have no intensions of ever reinstalling it in the future.

I am not an IT Professional but I am and advanced user.

Many Thanks

Comments

• I'm new Bitdefender user and it appears that Bitdefender Antivirus 2013 has become a virus and has hijacked my system.

The only program Bitdefender wants to run on my system is Bitdefender itself and not much else.

This scenario reminds me of SkyNet in The Terminator movies.

I'm using Win-XP-Pro-SP3

. . . .

Can anyone point me to a complete manual uninstall solution?

BTW - I want to completely remove Bitdefender from my system forever and have no intensions of ever reinstalling it in the future.

I am not an IT Professional but I am and advanced user.

Many Thanks

Progress Report -

I found the new BD AV 2013 here: and after rebooting into Safe Mode I was able to run the uninstall tool. It did remove most stuff but I want the prog completely off my hard drive.

NOTE: The uninstall tool does not "completely" remove all Bitdefender dust from your hard drive.

I next ran a windows search on my C:\ drive (main HD where the OS and progs are installed) and found more files.

I'm in the process of removing all these now. I found several prefetch files (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch) and removed them.

Next is to clean the system registry. This step is not recommended for novice users.

I'll update later as I have found and removed more stuff.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Welcome to the forums!

Did you used this uninstall tool for Bitdefender 2013?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35804

Thank you!

• Hello :)

Welcome to the forums!

Did you used this uninstall tool for Bitdefender 2013?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35804

Thank you!

Greetings Christian,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes I did use your new BD 2013 uninstall tool.

It did not run well when my machine was in normal operating mode so I rebooted into Safe Mode (Win-XP reboot + F8).

With the machine running in Safe Mode the BD uninstall tool was able to run through a full cycle with no drama and did

remove most of the files, folders and system registry entries. Please note that I always create a restore point before making

any changes to my system such as installing software. Unfortunately Bitdefender removed a number of my recent System

Restore points so I was not able to do a simple restore back to the point just before I installed Bitdefender.

Forum user "ONT" has posted an excellent BitDefender Uninstall guide - "How To Completely Uninstall Bitdefender, Detailed

Procedure". Once I was able to get through the basic program removal with your uninstall tool, I was able to complete

the job manually and with using some of the tools ONT recommends in his guide. I think I found and removed about 99%

of the files/entries the Bitdefender instillation creates but my system is still not exactly like it was before.

I am a product manager for a company that manufactures audio hardware and software and spend a lot of time testing

software, uploading/downloading files/beta software, installing/uninstalling beta apps, and doing market research on the

internet from my home office computer. I must have complete control of my machine at all times. Bitdefender is an extremely

aggressive program to its host and I request that you suggest to the developers that they find a way to make this program

less destructive to the machine it is installed on. Looking through these forums I noticed a high number of issues posted by

advanced users. Perhaps this program is more suitable for more consumer-like users and not-so-much for professional-type

users.

I'm sure Bitdefender is a great product, it gets the highest ratings from the test labs and that is why I installed BD

on my machine in the first place. Unfortunately it has made my machine unproductive and cost me too much time sorting out

the issues. I cannot work with this program on my machine.

I learned a valuable lesson from this experience - create and keep a backup image of your hard drive so you can completely

and quickly restore your system to its previous perfect condition as you need it.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave :)

We apologize for any negative experience you have encountered with our products or our support. Your feedback is appreciated, and will be directed to the appropriate team for review, to enable us to improve our support and services.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.