Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender stops Alexa Toolbar working.

Options

Hi Peoples,

I want to have Alexa toolbar on my PC, but Bitdefender sees it as spyware and stops it from loading.

Is there a way I can overide the spyware settings and force it to allow the toolbar?

Thanks

Bandicoot

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi Bandicoot

Alexa is spyware take a look here : http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=418

You can try this but BitDefender will remove and detect it during an on demand scan. Open BitDefender go to antivirus,shield,adjusted level and select the option don't scan this path on all level. Press on add new item and browse to the installation folder of alexa. Now the realtimeprotection will not react anymore on that folder.

Regards

Niels

• cwikla
    Options

Actually if you read the spyware take it's ratest as low, as it is collecting surfing habits, but anonymously.

There are many legitimate reasons to use Alexa toolbar -- it should be tagged as "ask" instead of automatically block.

It's very annoying I can't use that toolbar.

It's probably collecting about the same information as the google toolbar is, but that one is let through...

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi cwikla,

Do you know where Alexa toolbar is installed?

If you do, follow Niels' instructions and add that folder to the Excluded from scan list. By doing this, you should be able to use the toolbar.

Cris.

• Niels
    Options

Hi cwikla

They lowered the rating because in the past they collected more information. Also because they have now a clear EULA. Softwin isn't the only that still detect alexa toolbar also other anti-spyware programs detect it.

Did you tried what I said? Normally then you can use it.

Regards

Niels

• cwikla
    Options

I sort of followed the steps:

Had to exclude the download directory and then dowload it.

Excluded the Alex install directory and installed it.

Looks like it's installed -- but --

it then complains about a DLL in the Windows\System32 directory

with only the option to "OK" (I can't exclude WIndows\SYstem32 -- that

would be crazy :) ) and on restart the Alexa toolbar is gone.

• Niels
    Options

Hi cwikla

Till now you can't exclude a file in realtime protection. But you can try to put that .dll file in a new folder. Then you can try to exclude it. But I can't guarantee that the toolbar will work properly. If you really want to allow alexa make a new topic in the malware section of this forum.

Regards

Niels