Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Choppy Slow Internet

Options

Hello I am having problems with slow connection speeds on my Firefox 15.0.1 and Internet explorer. I have updated all plugins for both browsers, updated bitdefender ( ), and windows. Videos sometimes lose connections while during the buffering period and will stop buffering or ill have slow buffer speeds. Pages are loading slower and when I went to test my internet connection is was unreposive at first and then had spikes and drops in connection speed on both browsers. I have attached a picture if the internet speed test. I have a fiber optic connection speed at 35mbpsDownload/35mbpsupload and I know that I never had problems reaching that speed with bitdefender 2012. No other computers are on this network and it is wired directly to the router.

post-101014-1349375740_thumb.png

Comments

• ..... anyone help? Ive tried reducing all my seeting to the lowest setting, turndoff BD firewall protection, turned off all browser proctection software and I am still having slow choppy speeds......

• ..... anyone help? Ive tried reducing all my seeting to the lowest setting, turndoff BD firewall protection, turned off all browser proctection software and I am still having slow choppy speeds......

Sorry, I've had trouble with Firefox pages loading with Bitdefender since installing months ago. Lots of pages just sit there loading and I have to click stop then refresh to get them to load.

If your lucky and persistent you might get a answer here in a couple of months, at least that's my opinion. They might answer one or two questions once a week.

• Sorry, I've had trouble with Firefox pages loading with Bitdefender since installing months ago. Lots of pages just sit there loading and I have to click stop then refresh to get them to load.

If your lucky and persistent you might get a answer here in a couple of months, at least that's my opinion. They might answer one or two questions once a week.

well im glad to see someone else has the same problem, I have tried everything in BD setting making it like I almost don't have anything on... now im thinking whats the point of having it if I turn off everything....

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Do you have the firewall set like here?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35496

Thank you!

• Hello :)

Do you have the firewall set like here?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35496

Thank you!

the picture i posted was with windows and Bitdefenders firewall turned OFF

I tested my connection on both Internet explorer and Firefox, with the same result

Okay so know I followed your link and changed settings to your configuration with firewall ON and I got the same results

The new test is posted

post-101014-1349549461_thumb.png

• the picture i posted was with windows and Bitdefenders firewall turned OFF

I tested my connection on both Internet explorer and Firefox, with the same result

Okay so know I followed your link and changed settings to your configuration with firewall ON and I got the same results

The new test is posted

Here is the same computer, with an old harddrive that has also windows 7 64bit professional installed

This harddrive does not have bitdefender installed on it

As you can see the connection does not lag or spike and drop like my HDD with bitdefender does. I know it is bitdefender causing the irregular internet because if I uninstall it, my connection is back to normal. I want a fix for it

post-101014-1349550128_thumb.png

• I am having the exact same problem. With BitDefender TS 2013 installed, my internet speed drops drastically, from 16 mbps to between 5 mbps and 8 mbps, when I uninstall TS 2013 and retest I get 16 mbps every time.. I have tested this on all 3 of the computers that have TS 2013 installed on them, the result is the same with each of them. I then bring in another computer that does NOT use Bit Defender TS 2013 and I consistently get 16 mbps..

Another problem that I am now having, is that I am unable to UPLOAD videos or music files to any site unless I uninstall TS 2013. (I upload videos to an education website - last video size was 29 MB.) As soon as I uninstall TS 2013 I can upload without any hitch. Again, this is the same on ALL 3 computers that have TS 2013 installed. A repair and a brand new install does NOT fix this issue..

• flac2000
    edited October 2012
    Options

just wanted to add something here these speed test sites can be un reliable at times make sure when you use them to pick a server in your country and near were you live also your ping s look fine and i had this problem with anothner security suite the needle used to go mental on speedtest.net but it wasnt affecting my internet speeds just that site.What you really should try is downloading a very large file from microsoft and see if your speed fluctuates then as i said these test depend on how many people are using the server at any given time,just some ideas you can try.

44rAC.png

• just wanted to add something here these speed test sites can be un reliable at times make sure when you use them to pick a server in your country and near were you live also your ping s look fine and i had this problem with anothner security suite the needle used to go mental on speedtest.net but it wasnt affecting my internet speeds just that site.What you really should try is downloading a very large file from microsoft and see if your speed fluctuates then as i said these test depend on how many people are using the server at any given time,just some ideas you can try.

44rAC.png

I know how speed tests works, I am certain and I can test my connection all day and I will get same results.. I uploaded a pic of my connection without bitdefender and I never had the same problem. Yes my speed is okay, but im not reaching my full download speed and upload speed when Im downloading torrents. I know I am using same server on the torrents Im downloading from and I am not getting the same speeds, additionally sometimes when I'm watching a video the connections cut and it stops the buffering process causing the video to crash halfway or so. I have also tested speed test on other sites and I get same result I am using speedtest because it shows a visual picture on how stable the connection is.

Next you uploaded a picture without the connection stability like I highlighted in my screenshoots, to show you what this irregularity does Ill do a ping test.. I have always had grade A connections.... the following screen shoot was the best score of 10 tests!!

I would like you if you have total security to reupload a speed test and take a screen shoot when it is testing upload or you can wait till it finished, just hover over your download speed like the second pic

post-101014-1349627006_thumb.png

post-101014-1349627401_thumb.png

• Sir_Vikin
    edited October 2012
    Options

I too know how to use the speed tests and I can tell you that I am still having the same exact issues.. In fact I can see this when wirelessly transferring files between my computers on the same network! With TS 2013 the speed is cut in half- without it it is normal.

I'll give another example for you..

With TS 2013 installed - I can log into ESPN (or ANY OTHER SITE to watch a video including Netflix) and I get nothing but stutter. Each and EVERY time I try to play a movie!

However, when I uninstall TS 2013 - I can log into ESPN (or ANY OTHER SITE and watch the same EXACT video WITHOUT any stutter or interruption at ALL.

Take it one step further... I can log into the same site with 2 computers (1 with TS 2013 1 without) at the SAME EXACT time and NOT get stutter on the PC NOT running TS 2013 while the other CONTINUOUSLY stutters with TS 2013 installed.

I've purchased BD products for the last 3-4 years now and I have NEVER had this issue before.

BigBird-

Those jagged cliffs that you see on the speed test, I see the EXACT same thing when I run ANY speed test with TS 2013 installed. But, if I uninstall TS 2013 there are no jags and EVERYTHING runs smoother..

• I too know how to use the speed tests and I can tell you that I am still having the same exact issues.. In fact I can see this when wirelessly transferring files between my computers on the same network! With TS 2013 the speed is cut in half- without it it is normal.

I'll give another example for you..

With TS 2013 installed - I can log into ESPN (or ANY OTHER SITE to watch a video including Netflix) and I get nothing but stutter. Each and EVERY time I try to play a movie!

However, when I uninstall TS 2013 - I can log into ESPN (or ANY OTHER SITE and watch the same EXACT video WITHOUT any stutter or interruption at ALL.

Take it one step further... I can log into the same site with 2 computers (1 with TS 2013 1 without) at the SAME EXACT time and NOT get stutter on the PC NOT running TS 2013 while the other CONTINUOUSLY stutters with TS 2013 installed.

I've purchased BD products for the last 3-4 years now and I have NEVER had this issue before.

BigBird-

Those jagged cliffs that you see on the speed test, I see the EXACT same thing when I run ANY speed test with TS 2013 installed. But, if I uninstall TS 2013 there are no jags and EVERYTHING runs smoother..

yup post #7 shows how it looks without bitdefender on the same computer just different hard drives.... I think they released 2013 too soon, its a power hungry program too if you don't turn everything down

• yup post #7 shows how it looks without bitdefender on the same computer just different hard drives.... I think they released 2013 too soon, its a power hungry program too if you don't turn everything down

I have the same issue with the spikes, I just wish I had your speed.

• I am also having the same problem with BitDefender. I was having a similar problem with Total Security 2012. I was told to upgrade to TS 2013. I thought that I noticed a slight improvement, but it has some moments where I get irked.

My system:

Windows XP Media Center Edition

Pentium 4HTx2 3.4 MHz

2 GB RAM

250 GB HD

Intel Integrated Graphics

BitDefender Total Security 2013

Prior to purchasing BitDefender, I used Microsoft Security Essentials (FREE) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I used this for YEARS and never had any major issues.

Since installing BitDefender, I have the following issues:

- Video is often choppy when streaming (especially in full screen mode).

- Internet is VERY choppy at times -- even for pages like Craigslist.

- I receive pesky "warnings" for websites that are obviously find -- like major job searching websites.

- It often takes a long time (and a refresh) to open web pages.

- I sometimes feel a similar lag when opening other programs on my PC. It takes an eternity to open a file or browse folders through Photoshop.

- My computer actually feels LESS secure -- because I feel like it is compromised by the program itself. Today, I noticed that I am missing 15 GB of hard drive space that was there a couple of days ago...and I haven't had any major downloads. I have used the program since June...and I regret the purchase now.

I am VERY close to uninstalling the Bitdefender Total Security 2013 and going back to Microsoft Security Essentials. Even though I paid quite a bit for the program at a store, I am willing to count it as a loss if my computer can run as smoothly as it has for the past few years (before Bitdefender).

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Am I alone...or is this the "normal" with this program?

I have a suspicion that my computer will be back to its normal fantastic and smooth performance if and when I uninstall BitDefender.

• Chris I see you are have same problem I am, Turning off all the privacy protection(in web browser) protection drastically increases browser speeds, although leaving you very vulnerable to attack sites. Im still waiting for a fix that doesn't involve turning off all my protection.

• Chris I see you are have same problem I am, Turning off all the privacy protection(in web browser) protection drastically increases browser speeds, although leaving you very vulnerable to attack sites. Im still waiting for a fix that doesn't involve turning off all my protection.

Interesting.

Does anyone know why or how I would lose 15 GB of memory since the last time I checked? It makes me think that either I have a virus that went undetected by Bitdefender Total Security 2013...or my computer might be "backing up" some files without my knowledge.

Does Bitdefender "backup" certain files on a daily or weekly basis?

I woke up this morning and 200 MB was gone.

:blink:

• flac2000
    edited October 2012
    Options

here you go bigbird

TyPx0RX2.png

BitDefender total security 2013 on my pc bitdefender has the least foot print out of all the security suites i have used also i wasn't trying to insult you just offering up some suggestions i could be a number of causes like not un installing previous security suites fully ect or as you say it could be bitdefender but i havnt experienced any problem with my computer ,but it will need someone like christian with better knowledge to help with your problem .

• here you go bigbird

TyPx0RX2.png

BitDefender total security 2013 on my pc bitdefender has the least foot print out of all the security suites i have used also i wasn't trying to insult you just offering up some suggestions i could be a number of causes like not un installing previous security suites fully ect or as you say it could be bitdefender but i havnt experienced any problem with my computer ,but it will need someone like christian with better knowledge to help with your problem .

Thank you thats what I wanted to know, I just wanted to see how yours compared to mine. I appreciate the feedback, to bad Im not getting any from the mods so Ill lbe making a ticket

• ..... cant even make a ticket says my license key is invalid....

• Sir_Vikin
    edited October 2012
    Options

Seeing as the mods are ignoring us here on the forums (unusual), I went ahead and opened a ticket-

I hope that they do not ignore that as well..

I will keep you guys updated as to what I find out..

• Seeing as the mods are ignoring us here on the forums (unusual), I went ahead and opened a ticket-

I hope that they do not ignore that as well..

I will keep you guys updated as to what I find out..

'

thank you!!!!!!!

• Sir_Vikin
    edited October 2012
    Options
    '

thank you!!!!!!!

NP- got my first reply asking me to run the support tool... Did that, but when I went to attach it to the e-mail back to them (replying) - BD TS 2013 had a fit and refused to allow me to attach it.. So I had to uninstall BD TS 2013 and re-boot just to attach the file that their own support tool created!! Now if that doesn't tell you that there is a problem with BD TS 2013, then nothing does!

• you won't get any help from there forums

• you won't get any help from there forums

• Well, Catalina Stoica is the tech support engineer that contacted me via e-mail Sunday the 14th. I just re-sent the e-mail with the support tool file in it again in hopes that I hear something soon.. I do have to say though, 3 days after I sent in the requested information and no contact whatsoever doesn't leave me with a good feeling about the state of Bit Defender products..

I understand that they are busy, but when support (one of the big selling points of BD in my opinion) stops "supporting", or communicating, it sends up a flag that says something is not quite right.. They could at least acknowledge receipt of my file and let me know that they are looking into my problem.. Instead there is nothing, no communications at all....

If I don't hear something from support by monday (thats 8 days from my support tool submission) then I'll have no choice but to find a new AV. I'll simply wash my hands of the whole thing as I cannot afford to uninstall my AV every single time that I need to upload a file to a website, or every time I try and attach a file to be e-mailed...

• I have to EXACT same problem. Here's a screenshot of my speedtest (looks very similar to yours). I can't get any reponses from anywhere, including the Bitdefender Support Tool (which crashes).

post-114046-1350523942_thumb.png

• I have to EXACT same problem. Here's a screenshot of my speedtest (looks very similar to yours). I can't get any reponses from anywhere, including the Bitdefender Support Tool (which crashes).

I lucky got in touch with online support and they are had me send a log to their senior tech support team to analyze it. So hopefully by tomorrow or if im lucky again Ill get a response back today

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Thank you for your feedback.

First of all, please accept our apologies for the situation created. Please follow the steps below to check if the issue persists.

1. Open BitDefender -> Settings -> Update -> here select under Update processing rules -> "Prompt me before downloading updates".

When an update is performed, you will see a box from which I kindly ask you to choose ONLY Signatures Update (do not perform product updates, otherwise the solution below will be canceled).

2. Restart your computer in Safe Mode:

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click "OK" to acknowledge.

3. Go to C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2013, find the file called "bdtl.dll" and rename it to "bdtl.dl_".

4. Restart the computer normally and let me know if the issue persists.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Take care.

• jonathan_quintana
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Wow it changed alot for the better, but the connection still isn't smooth and sometimes it gets abnormal spikes. The connection speed although is at what it is suppose to be, my connection is suppose to be 35/35

post-101014-1350584457_thumb.png

• Christian-

Thank you! This made it so that I no longer have to "uninstall" BD TS 2013 to be able to upload or attach files and my internet speeds are back where they belong! Big thank you for that..

Question though- are we to leave it permanently set to the settings you mentioned? IE updates only or do we eventually shift it back to update everything?

Thanks again!!

• Christian-

Question though- are we to leave it permanently set to the settings you mentioned? IE updates only or do we eventually shift it back to update everything?

Thanks again!!

It would be nice if you would answer this .... Thanks

• It would be nice if you would answer this .... Thanks

yeah i have already been asked skipped product update 3 times, are you guys still working on a permanent fix? it seems that process was doing most of the damage although not all of it.

• christian Id like a reply to my post #29, I also tried turning back on all the privacy settings back on and it made the problem come back? I have updated many times now, when will there be a fix?

• freeman1762
    edited October 2012
    Options

Seems like you all are having a time with Total Security 2013. I know how frustrating this can be. You see I am a customer support rep at a call center and here a lot of various problems that occur with products. I am new to BD and do not know how there levels work with ter resolution; but when I have a customer call in and cannot find a fix, I can take the ticket number and call headquarters and get a resolution quite fast and effectively. They can usually alert the market in your goeographical location and escalate it. I hope I don't get kick off the forum for this; but maybe you all can try that! Best of luck!

• It is amazing the difference it made on the speed test site, my graph before was 2 spikes up then drop to almost zero twice. This was almost consistent the whole test.

I need to do more browsing to see if this corrects the pages not loading the first time and having to stop then refresh.

• UPDATE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have now turned on all security settings and have done a product and signature update and restarted my computer and everything is fixed!!!

• UPDATE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have now turned on all security settings and have done a product and signature update and restarted my computer and everything is fixed!!!

So, your saying that its ok to allow updating as per the normal way? Fantastic! I will try this and see how it goes! Thanks BB!

• So, your saying that its ok to allow updating as per the normal way? Fantastic! I will try this and see how it goes! Thanks BB!

Ugh.. I tried turning everything back on and enabling updates again and UGH!! Then I tried updating BD 2013 TS and its not fixed here...

Not sure if you have something different BB, but here is what I have and I am still having issues:

Build 16.22.0.1534

Signatures: 7697921

Engine Version 7.43763

• OK-

I finally got TS 2013 to update and work correctly, here is the new update info and what I had to do to get it working right-

Enable everything & update to the following version:

Build: 16.22.0.1534

Virus Signature: 7698696

Engine Version: 7.43764

At first I was still having problems despite the update.. I was still getting the jaggies and not able to upload files, etc.. To fix that I had to boot into safe mode and delete both the bdtl.dl_ and the bdtl.dll that were there and then I re-booted again. Since then its working!

• I think I'll wait and see if Christian will give us any kind of low down and hope it's not another week.

• well it updated again and now it back again to the same thing..... wow! had to rename the file and turn off privacy again

• Exact same thing here BB.... This is really getting bad, support wont respond via e-mail, support on the forums is here every other day or two, and we cant get an answer to simple questions...

Absolutely ridiculous!

• Exact same thing here BB.... This is really getting bad, support wont respond via e-mail, support on the forums is here every other day or two, and we cant get an answer to simple questions...

Absolutely ridiculous!

have you tried online chat? ask for their advance support team

Absolutely ridiculous!

I could live with every other day or two BUT that is NOT the case. It's more like , here for a hour or two and gone for a week or week and a half.

I for one am getting very tired of it ! Please fix this !

• I could live with every other day or two BUT that is NOT the case. It's more like , here for a hour or two and gone for a week or week and a half.

I for one am getting very tired of it ! Please fix this !

Doesn't BD have a phone support?

• Doesn't BD have a phone support?

If you have to rename files and not update the program, a fix is required. Phone support can't do squat !

• If you have to rename files and not update the program, a fix is required. Phone support can't do squat !

This makes me wonder if I should go back to Emsisoft. I never had a problem with them!

• This makes me wonder if I should go back to Emsisoft. I never had a problem with them!

The sooner you go back, the better. Stop waiting for their update. It won't resolve anything (lie). How many times they have to say "it will resolve the next product update"?

I don't care if BD BAN me but i'm just saying the truth here. If they do BAN me, that means they are BAD because i'm just telling the truth, hehe. :)

• I still have the Program updates disabled and waiting for a Fix or response.

• I think I'll wait and see if Christian will give us any kind of low down and hope it's not another week.

Okay so I got a message back after awhile, they were trying to find a solution. They are stating that "The Bitdefender build number is 16.23.0.1637" should be the solution to our problems. I am still going to wait to see if this update is stable before recommending updating, but the picture attached is the results after updating and restarting my computer. The connection still isn't stable, but it is much better than what it was without Christian's little tweek.

• Okay so I got a message back after awhile, they were trying to find a solution. They are stating that "The Bitdefender build number is 16.23.0.1637" should be the solution to our problems. I am still going to wait to see if this update is stable before recommending updating, but the picture attached is the results after updating and restarting my computer. The connection still isn't stable, but it is much better than what it was without Christian's little tweek.

Thank You !

I just checked my build number and it is 16.23.0.1637 even though I have denied every attempt to update.

I guess I'll go look and see if I have a new bdtl.dll file and then see how my downloads look, tomorrow.

Gotta go watch some TV, Thanks for the update.

This discussion has been closed.