Feature Creep

I had used McAfee AV for 10+ years, until it got over-loaded with extraneous "features", multiple (and confusingly-named) variants and a complicated and buggy license tracking mechanism that even McAfee "support" (ha!) couldn't decipher.

So a couple of years ago, I decided to switch to a more focused product, which Bitdefender seemed to be. And until recently, it's worked fine, without being excessively intrusive.

But the "early renewal" upgrade from Bitdefender 2012 to 2013 did not go smoothly for me, and it appears that feature-creep may be a contibuting factor.

With each new release, Bitdefender seems to be getting loaded-down with features of marginal value. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, although I fear it is.

I can understand how marketing types keep arguing for an ever-longer feature list, so the product will score well in simplistic and superficial Consumer Reports-like "product comparisons". And then, of course, there's the revenue that these added features can generate.

But Bitdefender should focus on doing its' primary job well, and leave out the extraneous stuff. Otherwise, I'm afraid that in a few years, there will be a more-focused product (and support organization) that I'll move to.

DadCat

Comments

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013

What do you mean by, 'loaded-down with features of marginal value'? I'm not seeing this. Will you please give examples? In fact, they have taken away many advanced features starting with 2012.

Thanks,

Charyb

• columbo
    columbo
    edited January 2013

I'm with Charyb on this one, DadCat. (not trying to pile on)

What do you see as excessive features? I do have AVG on 1 partition of a Notebook I hardly use, and do know what you mean in that sense, all the options and settings, which can be confusing. Yet, the 2012-2013 versions of Bitdefender are pretty basic, and "user friendly", so much so that many of us are looking to regain some of those lost features, or implement more user control features...say, more advanced settings, user control settings, without throwing out what they have now. (peruse this Feature Request forum)

I did buy my sister a Bitdefender license this Christmas, for the "set it and forget it" simplicity and it's security, as that's all she needs and can handle... kudos, Bitdefender and Christian. Yet, some of us would like more controls/options and settings.

Kind regards,

Columbo

• I'm with Charyb on this one, DadCat. (not trying to pile on)

What do you see as excessive features? I do have AVG on 1 partition of a Notebook I hardly use, and do know what you mean in that sense, all the options and settings, which can be confusing. Yet, the 2012-2013 versions of Bitdefender are pretty basic, and "user friendly", so much so that many of us are looking to regain some of those lost features, or implement more user control features...say, more advanced settings, user control settings, without throwing out what they have now. (peruse this Feature Request forum)

I did buy my sister a Bitdefender license this Christmas, for the "set it and forget it" simplicity and it's security, as that's all she needs and can handle... kudos, Bitdefender and Christian. Yet, some of us would like more controls/options and settings.

Kind regards,

Columbo

Well Columbo, I'm afraid I'm with DadCat on this one. I think what he is possibly referring to are features such as the tuneup utility which in my humble opinion is an absolutely useless module. If it wasn't, don't you think BD would recommend using their own utility to clean up after an uninstal rather than recommending C(crap)CCleaner. Not only that but when I try to run a registry cleaner that I have bought and paid for, I get bluescreened unless I turn off the On Access Scanning. I don't think he was referring to scan scheduling or the other user tweaks that have been taken away. Just my two cents worth.

• Well Columbo, I'm afraid I'm with DadCat on this one. I think what he is possibly referring to are features such as the tuneup utility which in my humble opinion is an absolutely useless module. If it wasn't, don't you think BD would recommend using their own utility to clean up after an uninstal rather than recommending C(crap)CCleaner. Not only that but when I try to run a registry cleaner that I have bought and paid for, I get bluescreened unless I turn off the On Access Scanning. I don't think he was referring to scan scheduling or the other user tweaks that have been taken away. Just my two cents worth.

forgot to mention that the darn thing crashes whenever it tries to clean temporary system files no matter how many updates, reinstalls or repairs have been performed.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited January 2013

Good points in that sense, ozziebear, I didn't think in terms of Total Security, as I tend to only use the Suite (and AV+), for the reasons you mentioned. (add ons I don't need, as I find my other alternatives personally work better for me i.e. Axcrypt, CCleaner, etc)

Thanks for speaking your mind, I didn't think of those.

:)

• Good points in that sense, ozziebear, I didn't think in terms of Total Security, as I tend to only use the Suite (and AV+), for the reasons you mentioned. (add ons I don't need, as I find my other alternatives personally work better for me i.e. Axcrypt, CCleaner, etc)

Thanks for speaking your mind, I didn't think of those.

:)

Yes I agree Columbo. I currently have TS but if I do renew, I think I will downgrade to IS because I have never used any of the extra features provided in TS.

• What I guess from the subject poster that he is demanding some Advanced User and Customized Settings/Configuration which the Bitdefender lacks a lot since 2012 version.

@DadCat

If you want to say the same as I guess, then I strongly agree with you. I also can't understand what they dreamed of the user's skills?

I posted a lot of features requests. Some of them are listed here

1) Separate Notification/pop-up Settings For All Modules

2) [escalated] Prompt For Action

3) [escalated] Sandbox For Files/applications/processes

4) [escalated] Privacy Control Module As Hips, like in 2011 Version and not Silent

5) Take Action According To Suspected/infected Files

6) Virus Traces And Leftovers Indication

7) Restrict Access/opening/creating/modifying Any File, on HDD and USB devices

8) Service And Support Module

9) Integrate Sending And Quarantine The Suspected Files Manually

10) Take Proper Action For Auto Pilot Mode & Prompt For Action For User Mode

11) [resolved] Separate Viewing Of Events

Here were the some suggestions which I posted, there are also good feature requests posted by other users as well, but most of them seems to be not implemented even after escalation. I also posted about the Silent Behavior of the product here, but got no convincing reply as well

Why Silent Security?, Pros and Cons……Discussion

And if you are referring to some other concerns, then kindly elaborate further.

• I'm with Charyb on this one, DadCat. (not trying to pile on)

Kind regards,

Columbo

I disagree with your statement "....... and do know what you mean in that sense, all the options and settings, which can be confusing. Yet, the 2012-2013 versions of Bitdefender are pretty basic, and "user friendly......",

The product should be designed for all level of users (Novice and Advanced), and these settings are not confusing, if someone bother to read about the product from the User Guide or Help. The user have find time to post here the problem on the forum, but don't bother to read. And by the way these so-called "pretty basic" settings are of no importance, if the user don't have rights to handle the product according to his requirements. User Mode and Paranoid Modes are not enough. Instead the presently designed Bitdefender products (2012 and 2013 versions) should be called as "Novice User Friendly".

• I disagree with your statement "....... and do know what you mean in that sense, all the options and settings, which can be confusing. Yet, the 2012-2013 versions of Bitdefender are pretty basic, and "user friendly......",

The product should be designed for all level of users (Novice and Advanced), and these settings are not confusing, if someone bother to read about the product from the User Guide or Help. The user have find time to post here the problem on the forum, but don't bother to read. And by the way these so-called "pretty basic" settings are of no importance, if the user don't have rights to handle the product according to his requirements. User Mode and Paranoid Modes are not enough. Instead the presently designed Bitdefender products (2012 and 2013 versions) should be called as "Novice User Friendly".

Yes Ont, it is quite possible he was talking about auto pilot.

• Charyb
    Charyb ✭✭✭

I hope DadCat returns to clarify his point.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited January 2013

This all could be taken a little to seriously ^_^ Let's see what OP has to say

• Yes Ont, it is quite possible he was talking about auto pilot.

Thank you for that kindness, ozziebear :)

• Thank you for that kindness, ozziebear :)

Columbo. Rock on in peace my brother.

• You too, my friend :D

• Hi :)

We will do our best to improve our products and services.

Right now we need your help for Bitdefender 2014.

Please post all your ideas over here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=361

Thank you!