Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved] Total Security - Uninstall To Install

Options

Hi

This was raised as a ticket 201301111030078 and frustratingly its still outstanding since 14 Jan 2013- no response to several emails. I hope the forum can help. Apologies in advance fr the following-

I have a dell desktop PC. About 6 years old. I subscribed to Bit defender total security 2012 a year ago and had no problems. it was excellent.

In November 2012 I moved from XP SP3 to Windows 7 Pro. (32 bit) and everything worked ok. About 1 month ago I was offered free upgrade to BD Total security 2013 which I upgraded to and had no problems

With about 15 days to go before BD was due to expire I paid for another year subscription to BD total security 2013. Since then I have had problems.

It appeared I had 2 Bit defenders? The reason being that the widget was running as though there was an update, but the display box of BD didn't say it was updating. I also got messages from my windows stating my antivirus needed updating yet bit defender said it was up to date. Safepay didn't show and search advisor didn't work.

I have used the BD repair tool and the BD uninstall tool but one of the items 'executing additional tools.exe didnt get removed. I used windows search and typed 'bit defender' and found i still had files . i removed the files by right clicking on each and hitting delete. eventually there remained nothing left when I used the search again (for bit defender). When I try to reinstall using the installation disc or the download link, it still states that Bd is running on my PC . I searched for safebox using windows search as the safebox icon was still on my desktop. I found various files and used right click delete to delete the files and deleted the shortcut until the search revealed nothing.

I have been on 'safe mode networking', and on my 'windows old' I found files for BD 2012 and BD 2013. I have used the unistall exe that was in the 2011 files. Message said 'uninstall succesful. So now in 'windows old' i have files for BD 2013 but cannot find a way of uninstalling this or, trying to find a file here to install it. Curently my program files list and uninstall programmes list does not show the Bit defender programme as being on my computer ??? I am sure it is in my PC somewhere but cannot uninstall/ install . Please help as I have not used my PC for 2 weeks trying to resove the issue.

I looked on my system to look for previous system restore points but apparently none have been created ...!

I have attached a copy of what is showing in windows old.

post-128362-1359490954_thumb.png

Comments

• werby3
    edited January 2013
    Options

Hello,

I think the problem is "WINDOWS.OLD" folder. You've performed upgrade and not fresh/clean installation of Windows 7 which usually is not good for system stability.

I'm not an expert but, if I were you, I would perform a fresh/clean installation of Win 7, deleting or formatting C partition (or whole drive if you have not partitions).

Of course, you're going to loose all data (apps & files) in this partition.

I think that now there is a big "chaos" in your system.

Perhaps, someone expert should give you better advises for this but if you don't bother about a new installation, do it ASAP.

Regards

• coolcool1227
    Options

I agree with werbe3, you've to perform clean installation of Windows and then install Bitdefender with its offline setup. Backup your data on that partition to other location. If you don't want to do this then uninstall Bitdefender with its unnstall tool in Safe Mode and try the procedure explained here

How To Remove Previous Antivirus Traces And Re-installation Of Bitdefender, Detailed Procedure

Don't forget to manually locate and delete all the Bitdefender remnants from your HDD. When you try to re-install the Bitdefender, verify its installation path according to the new Windows.

• I agree with werbe3, you've to perform clean installation of Windows and then install Bitdefender with its offline setup. Backup your data on that partition to other location. If you don't want to do this then uninstall Bitdefender with its unnstall tool in Safe Mode and try the procedure explained here

How To Remove Previous Antivirus Traces And Re-installation Of Bitdefender, Detailed Procedure

Don't forget to manually locate and delete all the Bitdefender remnants from your HDD. When you try to re-install the Bitdefender, verify its installation path according to the new Windows.

Hi

Thank you for your replies. unfortunately I am not a technical pc person and was worried regarding what you advised. Microsoft had done the upgrade for me so I wasn't sure what to do next.

however I received a reply to my ticket from Bitdefender support, I used the uninstall they provide me with, right click deleted all the files in windows old , and then installed the programme using the link they gave me. The installer did not advise I have another version of BD running and all the files have been deleted from widows old. All seems to be working ok.

Here s hoping !

Thank you once again

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hello :)

I am glad this is now resolved.

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day!