Nmap Doesn't Work With Nmap Stealth Tcp Scan

Hi,

I have just installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2013, and it turns out that none of the stealth TCP scanning options (SYN stealth, XMAS, ACK, FIN, etc.) of nmap (network scanning tool, http://www.nmap.org) work with the firewall turned on. When I fire up Wireshark, I can see the packets being sent to the target when the firewall is turned off; whenever I turn the firewall on, I don't see any packets.

I have been a Norton Internet Security customer for a very long time, and I have never experienced such an issue with the firewall turned on. I do most of my scanning on Linux boxes, but I use Windows from time to time and I don't want to have to turn the firewall off when I'm scanning. This may even be a show stopper for me.

Could someone please help?

Regards,

Ertugrul.

P.S. I can see that nmap has been granted network access in Firewall Setting ==> Application Rules, and regular TCP connect scans work just fine.

Comments

• Well, obviously the title should have been "Nmap TCP Stealth Scan Doesn't Work With Bitdefender Firewall" as you can understand from the previous post. ;) I don't know what made me write that stupid title. :D

P.S.: I'm right in the middle of a SYN stealth scan with the firewall turned off. Let's see if I can live with that...

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi Ertugrul Gokcen,

Please let me know if you still need further assistance.

Thank you :)