Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Reinstall Problem

Options

I purchased Bitdefender Total Security 2012 a few months ago with a free upgrade to 2013. It was for two years, and good for three computers. I installed the program on my Windows 7 computer and then did the upgrade to 2013, everything went well. A months or so ago, I upgraded to Windows 8. When I did, Bitdefender got messed up. I later read somewhere that I should have first removed Bitdefender Total Security, did the upgrade to Windows 8, and then reinstalled BD Total security, but I thought I would try Windows Defender AV that came along with Windows 8. Well, I am not happy with Windows Defender, so I tried to reinslall Bitdefender Total Security 2012 on this computer with the CD that came with the package. No luck, I was told that the program was NOT compatible with Windows 8. After doing a lot of searches on this help site I found links for the different bitdefender products that Christian had posted. I found the one for 2013 Total Security (64) bit and downloaded it. It appeared to install OK, after I gave my registration key etc. Down on the lower right side on the Taskbar, I see a big "B" with a small circle at the bottom. If I put my mouse over it, it tells me I am in AUTOPILOT MODE. I also see two icons on the DESKTOP. One says SAFEPAY, which does open when I click on it. The other icon on the desktop says Bitdefender Total Security. But when I click on it, a large B appears down on the Taskbar, but it never opens the Main control area where I used to see different items such as Antivirus, Antospam. Privacy, Tuneup, Firewall etc. If I look in Windows Action Center, it tells me that Bitdefender antivirus, antispam, and the firewall were "ON" so I believe the program is installed on my computer. Somehow I even managed to do a complete system scan that took 75 minutes. My question is, how do I get to the main control center ?? I know there is another Bitdefender product designed for Windows 8, but I believe there are more features in the Total Security 2012 / 2013 program, and I would rather get this program to work, than to go to the one for Windows 8. I tried that REPAIR feature, but that did not work either. HELP, PLEASE, Mike

Comments

• I was just reading about Bitdefender 2013 Total Security on their web site. There is a Windows 8 logo there, that says it is Windows 8 compatible. ?????????

I purchased Bitdefender Total Security 2012 a few months ago with a free upgrade to 2013. It was for two years, and good for three computers. I installed the program on my Windows 7 computer and then did the upgrade to 2013, everything went well. A months or so ago, I upgraded to Windows 8. When I did, Bitdefender got messed up. I later read somewhere that I should have first removed Bitdefender Total Security, did the upgrade to Windows 8, and then reinstalled BD Total security, but I thought I would try Windows Defender AV that came along with Windows 8. Well, I am not happy with Windows Defender, so I tried to reinslall Bitdefender Total Security 2012 on this computer with the CD that came with the package. No luck, I was told that the program was NOT compatible with Windows 8. After doing a lot of searches on this help site I found links for the different bitdefender products that Christian had posted. I found the one for 2013 Total Security (64) bit and downloaded it. It appeared to install OK, after I gave my registration key etc. Down on the lower right side on the Taskbar, I see a big "B" with a small circle at the bottom. If I put my mouse over it, it tells me I am in AUTOPILOT MODE. I also see two icons on the DESKTOP. One says SAFEPAY, which does open when I click on it. The other icon on the desktop says Bitdefender Total Security. But when I click on it, a large B appears down on the Taskbar, but it never opens the Main control area where I used to see different items such as Antivirus, Antospam. Privacy, Tuneup, Firewall etc. If I look in Windows Action Center, it tells me that Bitdefender antivirus, antispam, and the firewall were "ON" so I believe the program is installed on my computer. Somehow I even managed to do a complete system scan that took 75 minutes. My question is, how do I get to the main control center ?? I know there is another Bitdefender product designed for Windows 8, but I believe there are more features in the Total Security 2012 / 2013 program, and I would rather get this program to work, than to go to the one for Windows 8. I tried that REPAIR feature, but that did not work either. HELP, PLEASE, Mike
  • I was just reading about Bitdefender 2013 Total Security on their web site. There is a Windows 8 logo there, that says it is Windows 8 compatible. ?????????

Any help out there ???????????? Is there a fix for this, or do I just remove Bitdefender and throw the box away. It was supposed to be good for two years, and could be put on three computers. So far, I can not get it to work on one computer. If I need to go to the Windows 8 version, then so be it. But as of now, I have nothing.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi Mike :)

It looks like you tried the repair, so we can forgo that.

My thought is, with Windows 8 overlay install of Bitdefender, may still be causing some problems. We can try to more thoroughly uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender, to see if that helps.

What we'ld need to do is:

• First, download the full install/direct download of your 2013 Bd Total Security along with the uninstall tool found at the bottom of that page, found here (or my siggy below): http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35494

• Download the 2012 Bd uninstall tool form here: http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall Disclaimer, I do not know if this will do anything, as it may not work on Windows 8, and if you had previously used this tool to uninstall 2012 when you upgraded to the 2013 version. If you did, you don't need to use/try this in the step mentioned here and below.

• Also, if you don't already have the free version of CCleaner, download it from here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

• Right click and run as Admin. the 2013 Bd uninstall tool . Restart your PC.

• Now right click and run as Admin. the 2012 Bd uninstall tool to remove any traces of that version. Restart your PC.

• Install and run CCleaner in Registry mode, and only delete any Bd reg. keys that may be left. Also, run it in Cleaner mode. Restart you PC.

• Right click your saved Bitdefender file, and run as Admin. When Bitdefender asks you if you want to download the latest files, deny it for now, as they will be downloaded after the install by running an "manual "update.

• Confirm that Windows Defender and Firewall were shut off by Bitdefender.

Hopefully this gets you with a clean running install :)

Scott

• Hi Mike :)

It looks like you tried the repair, so we can forgo that.

My thought is, with Windows 8 overlay install of Bitdefender, may still be causing some problems. We can try to more thoroughly uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender, to see if that helps.

What we'ld need to do is:

• First, download the full install/direct download of your 2013 Bd Total Security along with the uninstall tool found at the bottom of that page, found here (or my siggy below): http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35494

• Download the 2012 Bd uninstall tool form here: http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall Disclaimer, I do not know if this will do anything, as it may not work on Windows 8, and if you had previously used this tool to uninstall 2012 when you upgraded to the 2013 version. If you did, you don't need to use/try this in the step mentioned here and below.

• Also, if you don't already have the free version of CCleaner, download it from here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

• Right click and run as Admin. the 2013 Bd uninstall tool . Restart your PC.

• Now right click and run as Admin. the 2012 Bd uninstall tool to remove any traces of that version. Restart your PC.

• Install and run CCleaner in Registry mode, and only delete any Bd reg. keys that may be left. Also, run it in Cleaner mode. Restart you PC.

• Right click your saved Bitdefender file, and run as Admin. When Bitdefender asks you if you want to download the latest files, deny it for now, as they will be downloaded after the install by running an "manual "update.

• Confirm that Windows Defender and Firewall were shut off by Bitdefender.

Hopefully this gets you with a clean running install :)

Scott

Hi Columbo, Thanks for the reply. This is what I tried last night. I ran the Total Security Uninstall tool. And then I tried to install Total Security from one of the downloads that Christian has posted somewhere. No luck. I then did the uninstall again and tried to download and install Total Security again, no luck. I tried this one more time, no luck. Everything goes OK up until I enter my registration key. When I hit register, it tells me that the key is valid. Then I hit continue or finish near the bottom, and then that is where it just hangs, and does not do anything more. Before that I also removed Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware. But those two programs did not stop the original install of 2012 and the 2013 upgrade a few months ago when I installed everything on this computer when I still has Windows 7. I can try again tonight running CCleaner. What do you mean to run CCleaner in REGISTRY mode ?? Do you mean SAFE mode. ?? Maybe Total Security does not play well with Windows 8 and maybe Christian can help with a key or something to load bitdefender specifically designed for Windows 8 ?? Thanks, Mike

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    Options

Two things I can help you with:

1) Malwarebytes is the only "sanctioned" non real time scanner that is compatible with Bitdefender 2013, Superantispyware is not. For now, I would uninstall both of them, before proceeding with my uninstall/reinstall instructions. You can reinstall Malwarebytes after we hopefully get Total Security installed...or as you implied work with Christian in getting a Bd W8 version key as that has been preforming very well, perfect no, but maybe more stable than the 2013 versions on Windows 8.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=151353

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=129818 as far as Superantispyware etc.

2) Good question as far as CCleaner, thank you for asking, just to be sure :) CCleaner in Registry mode is an option found in the console itself, and thus does not need to be run in safe mode. When you run it, and it asks to make a back up, you can if you want, but since we are only deleting leftover listed Bitdefender keys, is ok to delete them.

post-4566-1360761294_thumb.jpg

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    Options

Two things I can help you with:

1) Malwarebytes is the only "sanctioned" non real time scanner that is compatible with Bitdefender 2013, Superantispyware is not. For now, I would uninstall both of them, before proceeding with my uninstall/reinstall instructions. You can reinstall Malwarebytes after we hopefully get Total Security installed...or as you implied work with Christian in getting a Bd W8 version key as that has been preforming very well, perfect no, but maybe more stable than the 2013 versions on Windows 8.

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

Just to clarify that, the only real problem I've personally had in my use of the BD W8 version, is that once in awhile the Auto Scan is disabled when I restart Windows 8, and is easily fixed/restored by Bitdefender itself. Yet, at this point, I'm sure you would be satisfied with a minor glitch like that ^_^

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

Welcome to the forums!

Please send me a PM with the email address that you used to register the My Bitdefender account and you current license key so I can check them in the system.

DO NOT POST THEM ON THE FORUMS!

Thank you!

• Hello :)

Welcome to the forums!

Please send me a PM with the email address that you used to register the My Bitdefender account and you current license key so I can check them in the system.

DO NOT POST THEM ON THE FORUMS!

Thank you!

Hi Christian, I believe I sent you the info. requested via PM. If you did not get it, please advise. Thanks, Mike

• Hi Columbo, I got tired waiting for Christian to reply with maybe another key to download BD for Windows 8, so I tried all your steps to get BD Total Security 2013 installed and running.

I ran the 2012 Uninstall tool, ran CCleaner, rebooted. Then I ran the 2013 uninstall tool, ran Ccleaner, and rebooted. Then I tried to install again. NO LUCK. I always get to the point where I enter the key, hit register, then I get a message that the key is valid. I then click on finish, and then nothing. Nothing else happens. As I said in my first post, there is a B in the lower right taskbar, and if I put my mouse over it, it says that I am in AUTOPILOT. the same two icons are on the desktop as before, but only SAfeplay works. I then I thought I would try everything again, but this time instead of entering my registration key, I would just check that I want to evaluate the product. Well, same thing happened. The program stopped installing or whatever. I am pretty disappointed at this point. I have been trying to get a good install

working for about a week now, and nothing. That is totally unacceptable. Maybe Bitdefender is a good product, but I could never attest to that. Mike

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    Options

At this point I really don't know what to say, other than it may take Christian reading a log file to see what may be causing the issue.

Last week I did try (trial version) another vendors AV, just to keep up with what's out there, to check out the competition ;) Needles to say, 3 of the windows (erasing, data security, and parental control) did not show any text for setting those options. I did try my own trouble shooting, and then out of curiosity, paid for the remote desktop Install service.

The first tech was not able to get past this issue after about 45 minutes of trying, and elevated me to the 2nd tier. After about another 45 minutes to 1 hour they were not able to fix the issue. We ran a log file, uploaded it to them, and was told they would contact me the following night (at a time of my choosing) after reading the log.

The next night, after about 1 hour of uninstalling FF and Chrome (and reinstalling), and installing Java, uninstalling and re-installing the AV (new files, new downloads etc) it never was fixed. They did offer to send the information onto the next tier level, and that they could contact me in 48 hours, but I declined, and chalked it up to experience.

I did ask for and did receive a refund, considering they couldn't even get a trial version up and running. But, with all that we have on our PCs (software, what was previously installed and uninstalled), and all the processes running on them, it's a wonder a times that so much can play nicely together at all.

Anyway, sorry I could help you, maybe Christian can or somebody else here has an idea that we haven't tried, or that I've overlooked.

Scott

• Hi Mike :)

At this point I really don't know what to say, other than it may take Christian reading a log file to see what may be causing the issue.

Last week I did try (trial version) another vendors AV, just to keep up with what's out there, to check out the competition ;) Needles to say, 3 of the windows (erasing, data security, and parental control) did not show any text for setting those options. I did try my own trouble shooting, and then out of curiosity, paid for the remote desktop Install service.

The first tech was not able to get past this issue after about 45 minutes of trying, and elevated me to the 2nd tier. After about another 45 minutes to 1 hour they were not able to fix the issue. We ran a log file, uploaded it to them, and was told they would contact me the following night (at a time of my choosing) after reading the log.

The next night, after about 1 hour of uninstalling FF and Chrome (and reinstalling), and installing Java, uninstalling and re-installing the AV (new files, new downloads etc) it never was fixed. They did offer to send the information onto the next tier level, and that they could contact me in 48 hours, but I declined, and chalked it up to experience.

I did ask for and did receive a refund, considering they couldn't even get a trial version up and running. But, with all that we have on our PCs (software, what was previously installed and uninstalled), and all the processes running on them, it's a wonder a times that so much can play nicely together at all.

Anyway, sorry I could help you, maybe Christian can or somebody else here has an idea that we haven't tried, or that I've overlooked.

Scott

Hi Columbo, Thanks for the reply. I know you are trying to help. It seems like you are the only one. Yes, I wonder sometimes how all these programs can play together. Since I had tried at least five times, and uninstatlled five times, I was afraid I would mess something else up, but all seems OK. It must be something to do with Windows 8, because I had installed 2012 and the upgrade to 2013 without a problem. As I said before when I get to that screen to either enter my registration number or choose the trial version is the problem. When I hit the FINISH button, nothing happens, and the FINISH button is still very bright, like I never hit it at all. ??????I did install Classic Shell on this computer to give me the old Windows 7 desktop, but I do not think that has anything to do with the problem. Oh well, I guess I just wait to see if Christian gets back to me with maybe a key for the Windows 8 version. At this poit I just wonder if that will install.

Thanks again Columbo, Mike

• rootkit
    Options

Hello Mike :)

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I will send you a PM message with some steps to follow.

Please provide me with your feedback after.

Thank you!

• Hello Mike :)

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I will send you a PM message with some steps to follow.

Please provide me with your feedback after.

Thank you!

Christian---The new set of instructions WORKED !! Thank you. Mike

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2013
    Options

OK Christian, you're holding 4 Aces, are you ever going to share that one with us, or is it going to take a little more testing before it can be revealed in a post :ph34r::D

Very happy for you, Mike :)

• OK Christian, you're holding 4 Aces, are you ever going to share that one with us, or is it going to take a little more testing before it can be revealed in a post :ph34r::D

Very happy for you, Mike :)

Columbo---Thanks for all your help also. Mike

• columbo
    Options

You're welcome, Mike :)

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have further questions. Have a nice day! :)

- This topic will be closed -

This discussion has been closed.