Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Vsserv.exe Delays Opening Notepad And Other Apps

Options

Opening any program can take 30 seconds after booting my PC.

ie, Notepad, Metapad (Notepad replacement), Firefox browser, Postbox (desktop email)

This business PC is used for email and web browsing only, no games nor office applications.

(emails + file downloads only)

CPU vsserv.exe is running at 2%-5% and no other services are running.

The HD is flat out and I get no response from clicking on EXE file icons to open a new document or open the browser.

(Multiple clicking out of frustration eventually opens multiple instances of the doc or browser)

Even BD-show delays opening -- I like to ensure BD is awake and on guard

The delay is in excess of 30 seconds, very frustrating !!

In idle time vsserv.exe CPU = 0 but vsserv.exe memory usage is between 5,000KB and 32,000KB ... why?

- BD has nagged me about obscure Windows updates so I gave in just to stop the nagging (last week)

- I have ignored Win updates for last few years, this is a 10 year old OS and most updates have been cosmetic.

- problem has got worse after Windows updates last week

After about 15 minutes it all settles down and opening EXE files is not a problem.

I clean-disc each week + system defrag + data defrag each week

In desperation I do a deep defrag (against recommendations of "MyDefrag" specs) trying to improve slow starts etc

-----

Have just purchased two new PCs, both to be exposed to the web so AV/IS will be essential.

I have been assessing BD-IS on my older WinXP laptop before I commit to Bitdefender

-----

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5315 (circa 2007)

Intel Celeron 1.7GB -- (others tell me this is not brilliant)

2g ram (max, factory was 1g + added 1g)

WinXP sp3 32bit (originally a Vista OS that took 30minutes to show Windows Explorer on very first use)

Clean re-install Dec 2011 after another AV let me down (4 viruses + 2 trojans)

-----

Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 -- updated daily

Is my Acer too old for BD-2013 ?

I would appreciate any help, thank you

Comments

• Georgia
    Options

Hello grayghost2 and welcome to our forum!

We will assist you further via ticket ID 201302211019839 .

Thank you! :)

• grayghost2
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thank you "Georgia" for your response. :)

We will assist you further via ticket ID 201302211019839

What do I do next ?

Edit:

My apologies: second email just arrived, I will follow your instructions and reply. Thanks again

• Georgia
    Options

You're welcome, grayghost2.

Please follow the steps provided in my e-mail and reply with the necessary information.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!