Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Vsserv.exe Causes High Disk Utilization

Options

Ryan Goode posted this back in Feb 2011: "After being on for a few hours, vsserv.exe begins high amounts of disk i/o which causes the machine to slow to a crawl. Memory and processor usage seem to also fluctuate at this time."

I have the same problem. With nothing else running, the hard drive is getting hammered. Task manager shows vserv.exe is the only thing using cpu besides System Idle Process.

I am running Windows XP sp3 and Bitdefender Antivirus plus 2012.

THANKS

Comments

• Georgia
    Options

Hi Nick, thank you for reporting this issue.

A major system slowdown only occurs when Bitdefender is installed over another security suite (antivirus, antispam, antispyware, firewall) or when there are too many applications launched at system start-up.

It's important to make sure the PC meets the recommended system requirements. Otherwise, Bitdefender may not work properly and could cause system slowdowns and instability. Here are the recommended system requirements for running Bitdefender 2012 on Windows XP:

*CPU: Intel CORE Duo (1.66 GHz) or equivalent processor

*Memory (RAM): 1 GB

*Available free hard disk space: 2.8 GB free space (at least 800 MB on system drive)

[To find this information click on Start and right-click on My Computer. Then choose Properties and there you will be able to see what operating system you have.]

If your computer meets the requirements we have the following recommendations:

1. Make sure to completely uninstall all other security solutions using the removal procedure supplied by the software manufacturer. All the security solutions perform their job based on a similar architecture, thus having two or more security solutions installed may lead to computer slowdown or even serious system issues.

2. Set Bitdefender on the 'Default' protection level: open Bitdefender, click Settings in the upper-right corner of the window > Antivirus > Shield. Drag the slider for the Protection Level to the Default/Normal position.

After performing the above steps restart your system and check its performance.

Please post back and let me know how it goes.

• Hi Georgia, thanks for responding.

As far as I can tell I don't have any other security suite installed. I looked thru "add/remove programs" and didn't see anything that looked security related. I used to have Zonealarm but when it expired I uninstalled it before installing Bitdefender. I do see that Windows Firewall is turned on - is that in conflict with Bitdefender? I also notice AVG Installer and various other programs/services are listed as exceptions to windows firewall blocks... I think I had AVG Free before Zonealarm but I'm sure I uninstalled it.

My PC seems to meed the recommended requirements. I have Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz - next line says 2.99 GHz, 3.49 GB of RAM. I have 647 GB free space on the C: drive.

I also verified Bitdefender is at the default/normal protection level.

The problem with the hard drive getting hammered seems to happen late in the day (I usually power on in the morning and power down late at night). Once it starts it doesn't stop. Last time it happened I rebooted and it stopped, so I guess if this isn't a "known problem" I'll just reboot as needed.

Thanks again.

-nick

Hi Nick, thank you for reporting this issue.

A major system slowdown only occurs when Bitdefender is installed over another security suite (antivirus, antispam, antispyware, firewall) or when there are too many applications launched at system start-up.

It's important to make sure the PC meets the recommended system requirements. Otherwise, Bitdefender may not work properly and could cause system slowdowns and instability. Here are the recommended system requirements for running Bitdefender 2012 on Windows XP:

*CPU: Intel CORE Duo (1.66 GHz) or equivalent processor

*Memory (RAM): 1 GB

*Available free hard disk space: 2.8 GB free space (at least 800 MB on system drive)

[To find this information click on Start and right-click on My Computer. Then choose Properties and there you will be able to see what operating system you have.]

If your computer meets the requirements we have the following recommendations:

1. Make sure to completely uninstall all other security solutions using the removal procedure supplied by the software manufacturer. All the security solutions perform their job based on a similar architecture, thus having two or more security solutions installed may lead to computer slowdown or even serious system issues.

2. Set Bitdefender on the 'Default' protection level: open Bitdefender, click Settings in the upper-right corner of the window > Antivirus > Shield. Drag the slider for the Protection Level to the Default/Normal position.

After performing the above steps restart your system and check its performance.

Please post back and let me know how it goes.

• Georgia
    Options

Hello Nick,

You're welcome, thank you for taking the time to follow the recommendation.

In this case, please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a lovely day!