Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

problems with bitdefender

Options

hello i am very new here and i have got bitdefender v 10 internet security that i have bought , i have picked up 2 virus according to bitdefender they are

Trojan.FatObfus.Gen

Adware.Netpumper.A

i have done a full deep scan and it said that it cannot delete these files , and yet it says to let bitdefender resolve this issue .

i have reinstalled firefox and it keeps coming up with these 2 problems and now the firefox screen goes pink in colour for around 5 seconds then goes to a normal colour

any help would be very greatfull

many thanks :blink:

Comments

• Niels
    Options
    Hmm basicly all the things i have to do in RUN.I'm not that experienced with it.I don't think i used it more then once or twice in years so i'm basicly afraid of sc**ing things up!

Hi bingo

Could you please post where BitDefender finds these infections? You can find that information when you open BitDefender,general,events. Post the location here. Or what you can also try is booting your pc in safe mode. By pressing several times on the f8 button and choose for safe mode. To perform a scan do this:

Go to start,run,at the run dialog box type cmd press enter. Then type the follow commands:

%SystemDrive% (press enter)

cd %ProgramFiles%Common FilesSoftwinBitDefender Scan Server (press enter)

Here are the commands how that BitDefender must react on infected files:

To disinfect the infected files type the command:

bdc /files /boot /arc /mail /log=bdcscan.log /fixed /dis

To quarantine the infected files type the command:

bdc /files /boot /arc /mail /log=bdcscan.log /fixed /move /moves

To delete the infected files type the command:

bdc /files /boot /arc /mail /log=bdcscan.log /fixed /del

Or you can try this put in your installation disc reboot your pc. Now linuxdefender will start for disinfecting your pc.

Regards

Niels

I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum section.

• bingo
    Options
    Hi bingo

Could you please post where BitDefender finds these infections? You can find that information when you open BitDefender,general,events. Post the location here. Or what you can also try is booting your pc in safe mode. By pressing several times on the f8 button and choose for safe mode. To perform a scan do this:

Go to start,run,at the run dialog box type cmd press enter. Then type the follow commands:

%SystemDrive% (press enter)

cd %ProgramFiles%Common FilesSoftwinBitDefender Scan Server (press enter)

Here are the commands how that BitDefender must react on infected files:

To disinfect the infected files type the command:

bdc /files /boot /arc /mail /log=bdcscan.log /fixed /dis

To quarantine the infected files type the command:

bdc /files /boot /arc /mail /log=bdcscan.log /fixed /move /moves

To delete the infected files type the command:

bdc /files /boot /arc /mail /log=bdcscan.log /fixed /del

Or you can try this put in your installation disc reboot your pc. Now linuxdefender will start for disinfecting your pc.

Regards

Niels

I will move this topic to a more appropriate forum section.

many thanks for your response

the problems are located at :

File c:\documents and settings\deanmandelainem\local settings\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\rrw5n1h5.default\cache.trash\trash\cache\9bbcff59d01=](Instyler o)=](Instyler Module 78)

infected with Trojan.FatObfus.Gen

File c:\documents and settings\deanmandelainem\local settings\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\rrw5n1h5.default\cache.trash\trash\cache\9bbcff59d01=](Instyler o)=](Instyler Module 8)

infected with Adware.Netpumper.A

many thanks again ;)

• vladx
    Options

These are located in firefox' cache so the solution is to disable BD's Realtime protection and clear the cache from Tools->Options->Advanced->Network->Cache->Clear Cache and of course re-enable Realtime protection. ;)

• Niels
    Options

Hi bingo

Do what vladx told you. I suggest that you also enable this option in Firefox so that the cache will be automatically cleaned when you exit FF. I use a non English FF version so it could be have a different name:

tools,options,confidential files,place a check by clear always my confidential files when I exit/quit Firefox. You can also uncheck what you don't want to remove. Confirm by pressing on ok. It was a pleasure that I could help you.

Regards

Niels

• vladx
    Options

That's a good suggestion from Niels.The exact location is:Tools->Options->Privacy->Private Data->Always clear my private data when i close Firefox.

• bingo
    Options

many thanks for all your help it worked great , but why does bitdefender say let it sort the problem out if it cannot delete it ,

many thanks again ;)

• kninejim
    edited May 2007
    Options

Unfortunately BitDefender protects your computer too well sometimes. When it locates a virus, but can't delete, disinfect or move it, then it denies access to it so it can't infect your computer. The bad thing about that is when you run an on demand scan it seems to deny access to the virus even by it's own scan engine (hmmm, maybe something the BitDefender folks ought to look into fixiing??). A couple of workarounds is to go into the management console, the antivirus module, and in the general tab temporarily disable the real time protection like vladx said, then run another on demand scan. Sometimes that works, but I'm not sure if that leaves your computer open to an infection while running the on demand scan.

Also, BitDefender may be denied access to a virus file because it is already loaded into memory or in use by some program, so you can either get a program, such as Unlocker, to unlock the files and delete them, or run BitDefender in safe mode with command lines starting from the run dialog box. Niels has provided the means to do the command lines in several other topics on the forum, plus I think there is an article about it somewhere in the support section at BitDefender.

Anyway, BitDefender usually will at least deny access to the virus files so they can't infect your computer, but it can't always get rid of the files without going down a little different road. If I've screwed up any of my explanations about why BitDefender can't always delete the virus files, then Niels, Cris or Florin.....please feel free to slap my hand and correct me. I don't want to give out bad information.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hi kninejim,

The bad thing about that is when you run an on demand scan it seems to deny access to the virus even by it's own scan engine (hmmm, maybe something the BitDefender folks ought to look into fixiing??)
    This is not correct. BitDefender On Demand Scan can delete the infected files that Realtime Protection has blocked.

The problem with the previous files (that were located in Firefox's cache) was that they were archived.

c:\documents and settings\deanmandelainem\local settings\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\rrw5n1h5.default\cache.trash\trash\cache\9bbcff59d01=](Instyler o)=](Instyler Module 78)

infected with Trojan.FatObfus.Gen

BitDefender uses many un-pack plug-ins to scan packed files for viruses/malware. But when it finds a virus in an archive, it can only block it, because BitDefender can't pack files. (as I said, it can only unpack them).

When this happens, the only solution you have is to delete the hole archive file.

I've suggested this feature a while ago in the New Feature thread. Hopefully, BD v11 will be able to delete the hole archive when it finds a virus in it. :)

Cris.

• kninejim
    Options
    Hi kninejim,

This is not correct. BitDefender On Demand Scan can delete the infected files that Realtime Protection has blocked.

The problem with the previous files (that were located in Firefox's cache) was that they were archived.

BitDefender uses many un-pack plug-ins to scan packed files for viruses/malware. But when it finds a virus in an archive, it can only block it, because BitDefender can't pack files. (as I said, it can only unpack them).

When this happens, the only solution you have is to delete the hole archive file.

I've suggested this feature a while ago in the New Feature thread. Hopefully, BD v11 will be able to delete the hole archive when it finds a virus in it. :)

Cris.

Hey Cris

Thanks for correcting me. It didn't really make much sense to me that BitDefender would block itself from deleting viruses when real time protection was enabled, but I had seen several times on the forum to turn off real time protection then delete files...........but deleting files manually is different than running an on demand scan, isn't it. I agree, the ability for BitDefender to delete infected archive files would be nice, and/or the ability to repack files after they are opened if that's possible after removing the virus from the file. More things for the programmers at BitDefender to consider :)

• alexcrist
    Options
    [...] and/or the ability to repack files after they are opened if that's possible after removing the virus from the file. More things for the programmers at BitDefender to consider :)

Hi kninejim,

Re-packing files would not be such a good idea. To do that, BitDefender would have to become a real Universal packer. There are tons of packing algorithms out there, and many of them have to be paid for to be able to use the packer algorithm.

To make BD be able to pack back the cleaned files (or to delete them from the archive) would mean two things:

1) BD will become a lot resource consumer (at least from the point of view of HDD space requirement), because it will have to have a lot of packing modules

2) BD will be more expensive, because of the packer licenses that need to be paid for

So, IMO, I don't think this would be a very practical solution, especially because viruses that are inside archives are not active (I hope I'm not mistaking, but if I am feel free to correct me ;) ).

Cris.

• Hi kninejim,

Re-packing files would not be such a good idea. To do that, BitDefender would have to become a real Universal packer. There are tons of packing algorithms out there, and many of them have to be paid for to be able to use the packer algorithm.

To make BD be able to pack back the cleaned files (or to delete them from the archive) would mean two things:

1) BD will become a lot resource consumer (at least from the point of view of HDD space requirement), because it will have to have a lot of packing modules

2) BD will be more expensive, because of the packer licenses that need to be paid for

So, IMO, I don't think this would be a very practical solution, especially because viruses that are inside archives are not active (I hope I'm not mistaking, but if I am feel free to correct me ;) ).

Cris.

Viruses inside archives can't be active, since they are also packed. However, a virus can infect a SFX archive, since it is a program.

• vladx
    Options
    Viruses inside archives can't be active, since they are also packed. However, a virus can infect a SFX archive, since it is a program.

Yes that's right, i saw many situations like this with infected SFX archives. :)

• alexcrist
    Options

I know that it can infect SFX archives... but I was talking about files that actually are inside an archive :)

Cris.

• kninejim
    Options

See, I'm learning more every day, even if I have to ask stupid questions. Oh, well....if you don't ask, you will never find out. Thanks for the info.

Jim

• If a virus wanted to infect a file inside an archive, it would have to unpack the entire archive, infect the file, and then re-packing it. A little bit hard, if we think that there are many packing algorithms out there...

• alexcrist
    Options

Yeas, but consider this: a virus could point to only one type of archives (let's say, zip files). That is not so hard to do. There are many viruses that infect packed files.

But for BD to clean those files, it should have ALL packing algorithms, because you can never know what virus you get. It's always easier to destroy data then to keep it safe.

Cris.