Windows Smartscreen

Hi

I have been having an issue with Bitdefender internet security 2013 and Windows Smartscreen filter. Bitdefender seems to be blocking this service in windows 8 pro.

I have uninstalled bitdefender and this feature works without issue, but as soon as the firewall is running I get a message saying that the servers cant be reached right now.

Is there a learning mode I can switch to that will prompt the user for all traffic?

I am quite new to bitdefender and cant seem to find an option to check for all traffic.

Thanks

John

Comments

• I've got this problem too. When I tried to install an app, there was a notice that Smartscreen's server couldn't be reach at that time. Another issue is after install Windows 8 security, the People App of windows 8 pro can't get the information for who's online, it just show "Your contacts are offline". I remember that last time when I installed my computer without Bitdefender, every thing worked normal. I didn't get the notice of Smartscreen and the issue of People app too. Then I install bitdefender windows 8 security, all problems appeared immediately. I have reinstalled my computer for 3 to 4 times so I can make sure that this is the problem of bitdefender windows 8 security. I hope you can solve these problems soon.

• I have same problem here bitdefender block windows smartscreen . Windows 8 pro.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

Please apply the settings below and let me know if Windows smartscreen filter is working afterwards:

- bring up the Bitdefender interface

- click on Settings > Firewall > Settings tab

- click on General rules > Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP > use the drop-down menu to select 'Allow'

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

• I had the same issue as others and changing to allow Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP did NOT work. It DOES work if I disable the Firewall.

Hello,

Please apply the settings below and let me know if Windows smartscreen filter is working afterwards:

- click on General rules > Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP > use the drop-down menu to select 'Allow'

• zoli62
    edited April 2013
    I had the same issue as others and changing to allow Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP did NOT work. It DOES work if I disable the Firewall.

Hi staff!

I would like to add to the above comment, that the Smart Screen Filter will not work if we turn off the firewall. Georgia's recommended setting has no effect

• I'm having the same problems. Reading various forums on the net, it seems BitDefender is not alone in having problems with Windows 8's start screen and allowing various apps access to the internet. The consensus seems to be to ditch the third party security software and just use Windows firewall+defender. This surely can't be the route BitDefender wants us to take??

• Hello,

It's not a good idea.

===============================================

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=32586

"The HTTP traffic is denied by default for Windows Explorer because some malware could inject into this process and all the data will be send to the attacker using this legitimate part of Microsoft Windows."

• I have changed "Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP" to "Allow". And I realize that the livetitle of Weather App of win8 now works. But until now, I haven't found the way to make the People App of win8 work, it always shows "Your contacts are offline" when I choose "show online contact only". I can't check if the Smart Screen Filter work or not

• Does not work with "Windows Explorer traffic on HTTP" set to "Allow"...

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

A quick solution for the encountered issue is to upgrade to The New Bitdefender. The upgrade is absolutely free of charge and due to the many improvements brought to this lineup any issues you may have encountered with your current product are now solved.

In order to upgrade to the new version please follow the steps below:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=366&id=58

From now on, post in this area of the forum in case you encounter further issues after the upgrade:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you.

• Hello,

Hello Guru. I am sure that many of us can't get to Bitdefender's interface. I can't. I turned off the Smartscreen and still have same problem. I feel that turning off Windows 8 Defender would be the best route to go. I am going to try this and see what happens. I think that this and Bit is clashing against one another. And I feel that Bit should be helping their customers more with this problem by coming up with a solution for it.

Take care. Pia

• Hello Guru. I am sure that many of us can't get to Bitdefender's interface. I can't. I turned off the Smartscreen and still have same problem. I feel that turning off Windows 8 Defender would be the best route to go. I am going to try this and see what happens. I think that this and Bit is clashing against one another. And I feel that Bit should be helping their customers more with this problem by coming up with a solution for it.

Take care. Pia

It did not work. And I can't get into the interface. If you know a way please tell me. I also added Bit to the Windows Firewall to see if that would work. I feel it is a Bit problem more than a Windows 8 problem. I am sue that they did not thoroughly test it on Windows 8. Thanks Pia

• Hello Pia and welcome :)

I'll take the chance and remind you that the EULA clearly states that you should not install Bitdefender along other security solutions. You might also want to read Microsoft official position about using multiple security solutions installed at the same time:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...pyware-programs

This is why we don't recommend running Bitdefender along other similar applications, including Windows Defender.

If anyone else is still experiencing the same issues after upgrading to the new Bitdefender please create a new topic in this area:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.