Windows Won't Start After Downgrade

I installed a 3 months giveaway "bit defender total security 2013" in my "windows 7"

N just few days back i upgraded my windows to "windows 8", everythng worked just fine

But today only 2 days of my giveaway license were left, so I downgraded to "bitdefender internet security 2013" by inserting a key in "total 2013", it told me that it is a "internet security key" and advised me to downgrade, and so i did

Took some time, then at the end of process, it said 'restart the computer to complete the i stallation'

I clicked on "restart now"

My laptop did shutdown as usually but upon power up it is showing a message

"Your PC needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\drivers\bdelam.sys

Error code: 0x000000f"

Please help me out, solving this cause my laptop won't start now

P.S. I do not have windows installation media, but i have Ubuntu in a pen drive, if it helps

Comments

• sollord
    edited March 2013
    I installed a 3 months giveaway "bit defender total security 2013" in my "windows 7"

N just few days back i upgraded my windows to "windows 8", everythng worked just fine

But today only 2 days of my giveaway license were left, so I downgraded to "bitdefender internet security 2013" by inserting a key in "total 2013", it told me that it is a "internet security key" and advised me to downgrade, and so i did

Took some time, then at the end of process, it said 'restart the computer to complete the i stallation'

I clicked on "restart now"

My laptop did shutdown as usually but upon power up it is showing a message

"Your PC needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\drivers\bdelam.sys

Error code: 0x000000f"

Please help me out, solving this cause my laptop won't start now

P.S. I do not have windows installation media, but i have Ubuntu in a pen drive, if it helps

Hit F8 during boot and use the option to disable Early launch antimalware protection it's like the second to last option. I just had this exact same issue on a reboot with bdelam being missing something in bit defender is broken and it's messing up windows8.

This is a bit of a major issue as it makes it look like Windows 8 is totally broken and requires a re-install to fix when it's just bit-defender breaking windows 8 new early launch antimalware system when it tries to take over. Highly annoying but bypassable.

• Hit F8 during boot and use the option to disable Early launch antimalware protection it's like the second to last option. I just had this exact same issue on a reboot with bdelam being missing something in bit defender is broken and it's messing up windows8.

This is a bit of a major issue as it makes it look like Windows 8 is totally broken and requires a re-install to fix when it's just bit-defender breaking windows 8 new early launch antimalware system when it tries to take over. Highly annoying but bypassable.

You the man, Sol Lord :):)

Seriously i thought i will have to formaty laptop, erasing the all movies n songs collection :(

Thanka for saving my a** man, really (:

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello pushkar,

I am glad to hear this.

When upgrading the operating system we highly recommend you to make a fresh reinstall of the security solution to prevent any incompatibility issues.

Please follow the steps explained in the article below and send me via PM the generated log file:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and send me a PM with the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the message above and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day! :)

• The key to the answer provided which makes this totally impossible is the comment, "When the Windows 8 Logo appears" many will find their boot process doesn't get to a logo. It falls far short. You may if your lucky boot to the recovery console. Thus unless there is more tools in the recovery console on a USB stick then there is remaining on the partition on the hard drive it may help you.

Its become a sad adventure for people with these issues not wanting to lose data. Gone is your recovery disks, many times they leave you with a split HD, well what if the HD is bad? Basically your in a lesson learned situation, they want you to go through these processes of backing up your OS, creating a recovery disk, making a system image. The last being the best option.

If not pay a service to backup, services like Buffalo, and WD are thriving for a reason with their personal clouds. People think to themselves, "I can't trust these services to keep my data private or to keep it to themselves." Although I agree unless you want to lose important information you must jump through these hoops so they can save 20 bucks a pc sold you don't want to hear the lectures while your in the middle of a pc emergency.

Just find a solution to a issue that should be easily solvable. Really how hard can it be to repair the boot section enough to boot up, pull data and do a claen reinstall. I refuse to beleive it should be this difficult. I understand protecting licenses but this silly create this make that, backup here...enough already this should have been solved ions ago, make a Windows based program that doesn't just do backups but full images of the hd. Hookup a 1tb drive and boom your done. Or you can check if this article work.