From Wireless To Wired

I just changed my laptop from wireless to wired because I don't move it at all and I feel I am safer with the ethernet plugged in. Aside from that I have a smaller 15" Acer that I can use wireless if need be. Anyhow, what I was wondering was changing the settings in the firewall. When I first opened the firewall where you can view the network activity and the settings I noticed that the settings had changed by themselves to "Public" Stealth Mode was "On" and I can't remember the Generic settings.

I switched it to Home/Office, Stealth is Off and Generic is set to Yes. Is that OK for a wired network? My house I mean. Now if I turn on my little laaptop what am I going to have to do for those because then I will be using both wired and wireless? This can get confusing at times. :blink:

Comments

• Stealth mode is enabled by default in public since there are hackers out there when using a public wifi to scan the area and look for laptops that they can easily crack. smile2.png

• Randyboy99
    edited March 2013
    Stealth mode is enabled by default in public since there are hackers out there when using a public wifi to scan the area and look for laptops that they can easily crack. smile2.png

Thank you my friend for at least explaining that to me which makes perfect sense. I didn't get a heads up in my email when you gave me an answer. What is wrong with this forum and giving notifications on answers? Are they expecting us to start paying for notifications? I saw something about paid notifications somewhere. I just went into my settings to look for that paid notification setting and couldn't find it but when I went to close out the settings I noticed there was a change made in notifications that went something like this. post-22122-1363542451_thumb.png

post-22122-1363542469_thumb.png

• The main thing I wanted to say was I wasn't getting any email notifications when you or anyone commented. I had to search out the replies or comments myself. Even though I have clearly marked for notify by email after a comment in my settings. You get what I'm saying right? Let me know when you post and someone like me comments behind you are you getting a notification by email that I commented?

The reason I had to double post was I couldn't get the top comment to edit again.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    I just changed my laptop from wireless to wired because I don't move it at all and I feel I am safer with the ethernet plugged in. Aside from that I have a smaller 15" Acer that I can use wireless if need be. Anyhow, what I was wondering was changing the settings in the firewall. When I first opened the firewall where you can view the network activity and the settings I noticed that the settings had changed by themselves to "Public" Stealth Mode was "On" and I can't remember the Generic settings.

I switched it to Home/Office, Stealth is Off and Generic is set to Yes. Is that OK for a wired network? My house I mean. Now if I turn on my little laaptop what am I going to have to do for those because then I will be using both wired and wireless? This can get confusing at times. :blink:

Those are the right settings.

Feel free to post back if you have other questions or concerns. Thank you!