Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can You Use Combofix With Total Internet Security Installed?

Options

Dear Bitdefender forums. I want to use Combofix because it is the most powerful scanner from my understanding and what my brother has told me who works in Computers. I do not know if it is ok to use while Bit defender Total Internet Security 2013 is installed and if you can even use it how do you go about doing it?

Thank You,

Rich

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi Rich :)

Thanks for asking first and not installing it, just because your brother uses it, good move on your part to confirm it first :) That tool is usually used in conjunction with other tools on malware removal sites by experts, for malware removal, and not for everyday use.

A couple of disclaimer warnings:

Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper. From the Combofix disclaimer, Bleeping Computer.

Also:

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix on your own.

This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use. ComboFix Should Not be used unless requested by a trained Anti-Malware helper. From a disclaimer on Geeks to Go.

So the answer is no, don't use it. The best 2nd opinion option would be to get the free version of Malwarebytes, and run a scan from that every now and then. It has been sanctioned by Bitdefender. Be sure to at the end of the set up of MBs to deny the free trial option to try the Pro version, which has a real time scanner which would conflict (cause issues, freezing, slow downs etc) with Bitdefender. When doing a MBs scan, temporarily disable Bitdefenders On-Access scanning as to not have both scanners trying to scan the same accessed file.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with to much information :wacko:

Scott :)

• coolcool1227
    coolcool1227 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi

Read about Combofix from here

http://www.combofix.org/

As far as I know, its not an alternative of an Antivirus, and is like On-Demand Scanner or Portable Scanner without Real Time Protection etc. Used only to remove some of the of common malwares. However if you want to use it any way, first backup your data by making some ghost etc, create System Restore point from Windows Safe Mode (it is necessary because Bitdefender's processes and drivers are not active/loaded in Safe Mode and you will be easily create the Restore Point) and then try to use ComboFix. Also disable Bitdefender's RTP, AVC and IDS etc, so that you can use it with no problem.

And if you are more interested, then first scan your system with updated and properly configured Bitdefender and then scan with ComboFix and compared the results of both.

P.S: You can find more information about ComboFix from the bleeping computer forum.

• Hi

Read about Combofix from here

http://www.combofix.org/

As far as I know, its not an alternative of an Antivirus, and is like On-Demand Scanner or Portable Scanner without Real Time Protection etc. Used only to remove some of the of common malwares. However if you want to use it any way, first backup your data by making some ghost etc, create System Restore point from Windows Safe Mode (it is necessary because Bitdefender's processes and drivers are not active/loaded in Safe Mode and you will be easily create the Restore Point) and then try to use ComboFix. Also disable Bitdefender's RTP, AVC and IDS etc, so that you can use it with no problem.

And if you are more interested, then first scan your system with updated and properly configured Bitdefender and then scan with ComboFix and compared the results of both.

P.S: You can find more information about ComboFix from the bleeping computer forum.

I will try Malbytes for sure thanks for the information. :).

• columbo
    Options
    I will try Malbytes for sure thanks for the information. :).

You're welcome, we were glad to help. For now, I think that is a good choice. Just remember to disable BDs On-access scanning during a MBs scan: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=39510

Thanks for posting back :)