Fire Wall Problems

Christian, in your article "How To Create A Zone In Bitdefender Firewall" you advise on the settings for the network type. However I can't change any of the values. For the Stealth mode, I can see the options are Remote/On/Off yet the setting remains fixed at Remote whatever I select.

I'm running Windows 8/64 and trying to network with my wife's PC running Windows 7/64.

Pings work OK, and I can see the other PC in Windows Explorer. I use CodeTwo Outlook Sync to sync our Outlook calendars which works OK, but I can't share files and can't set up a Homegroup.

I've read page 109 which you refer to in another posting, but I can't change anything. Help please!

Nigel

Comments

• Christian, in your article "How To Create A Zone In Bitdefender Firewall" you advise on the settings for the network type. However I can't change any of the values. For the Stealth mode, I can see the options are Remote/On/Off yet the setting remains fixed at Remote whatever I select.

I'm running Windows 8/64 and trying to network with my wife's PC running Windows 7/64.

Pings work OK, and I can see the other PC in Windows Explorer. I use CodeTwo Outlook Sync to sync our Outlook calendars which works OK, but I can't share files and can't set up a Homegroup.

I've read page 109 which you refer to in another posting, but I can't change anything. Help please!

Nigel

I'm not an expert but I would try the following:

1. Turn off the BD firewall.

2. Setup a new HomeGroup - Windows 8 and Windows 7 computers.

3. Make sure it's working.

4. Turn on the BD firewall.

5. Add your wife's PC address to a new Zone if needed.

• I'm not an expert but I would try the following:

1. Turn off the BD firewall.

2. Setup a new HomeGroup - Windows 8 and Windows 7 computers.

3. Make sure it's working.

4. Turn on the BD firewall.

5. Add your wife's PC address to a new Zone if needed.

Thanks for the input indie. I'm away from home at the moment but will use your recommendations when I get home. :) . However, I still wonder why I can't turn off being in stealth mode, which I feel is key to my problem. It may be I'll have to do a re-install, but thanks for taking the trouble to email.

• Thanks for the input indie. I'm away from home at the moment but will use your recommendations when I get home. :) . However, I still wonder why I can't turn off being in stealth mode, which I feel is key to my problem. It may be I'll have to do a re-install, but thanks for taking the trouble to email.

On the Windows 8 computer, you need to log-in as Administrator in order to change your settings for BD firewall.

• On the Windows 8 computer, you need to log-in as Administrator in order to change your settings for BD firewall.

Understood. I must confess to always logging in as Administrator even though it's not recommended, to keep life simple!

But I come back to the point that I can't get out of stealth mode. Is there an "Administrator" mode in BD other than 'manual' mode?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi Nigel and welcome to our forum!

To further investigate the cause of this issue, please post here a support tool log by following these steps:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

You may not be able to upload the files here as they are too big so you can put them on www.sendspace.com and post the download links.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day!

• Understood. I must confess to always logging in as Administrator even though it's not recommended, to keep life simple!

But I come back to the point that I can't get out of stealth mode. Is there an "Administrator" mode in BD other than 'manual' mode?

Right click on the BD Icon and on "Run As Administrator".

Go to the firewall settings and change them.

• Hi Nigel and welcome to our forum!

To further investigate the cause of this issue, please post here a support tool log by following these steps:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

You may not be able to upload the files here as they are too big so you can put them on www.sendspace.com and post the download links.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day!

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi Nigel,

I didn't receive the logs.

Please upgrade for free to The New Bitdefender and let me know if the issue still persists afterwards. You have here all the details for that:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=366&id=58

From now on, post in this area of the forum in case you encounter further issues after the upgrade:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you.

• Hi Nigel,

I didn't receive the logs.

Please upgrade for free to The New Bitdefender and let me know if the issue still persists afterwards. You have here all the details for that:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=366&id=58

From now on, post in this area of the forum in case you encounter further issues after the upgrade:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you.

• Thanks for the prompt Georgia. Your advice in an earlier email on how to run BitDefender in Administrator mode solved the problem. So apologies for not acknowledging this earlier - I've been in France for a month during which my wife had a heart attack! (She's fine now <_<).

So my CodeTwo program to sync the calendars between my PC and my wife's is working well. (Thank goodness )

So case closed. Thanks.

Nigel

• I am glad to hear this. Since the issue is now resolved, I declare this topic closed.

If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a nice day! :)

This discussion has been closed.