Update Problem

just installed bitdefender antivirus 2008 trial version, and when I try with the update , it can't connect to the update server. of course interbnet connectio works perfectly.

windows xp pro

Comments

• Hello birba,

Please check that your firewall is set to allow BitDefender to connect to the update server.

The module needed to update is livesrv.exe, so this process has to be allowed to connect to the internet.

Cris.

• Hello birba,

Please check that your firewall is set to allow BitDefender to connect to the update server.

The module needed to update is livesrv.exe, so this process has to be allowed to connect to the internet.

Cris.

thanks Cris, once I set my firewall what am I supposed to do with lierserv.exe ? where I find it? how can I make it work.

thanks for your patient

• BitDefender Antivirus 2008 doesn't contain the Firewall module. So if this is the cause of BD not being able to update, it means that you have a 3rd party firewall, with which I cannot help you (because each firewall has unique settings).

If you are not the administrator of your computer (and there is another person who takes care of installing/configuring applications...mainly the security settings), then please contact that person to guide you in configuring your firewall.

If you are the one that installed and configured the applications of your PC and you don't know what firewall you have, it's somehow probable that you don't have any firewall (except the Windows Firewall). In this case, BD might be blocked by something else.

In this case... you might be connected to the internet through a proxy server, and you need to introduce those settings into BitDefender so it can use the connection. Do you know your proxy settings?

Cris.

• birba
    edited March 2008

BitDefender Antivirus 2008 doesn't contain the Firewall module. So if this is the cause of BD not being able to update, it means that you have a 3rd party firewall, with which I cannot help you (because each firewall has unique settings).

If you are not the administrator of your computer (and there is another person who takes care of installing/configuring applications...mainly the security settings), then please contact that person to guide you in configuring your firewall.

If you are the one that installed and configured the applications of your PC and you don't know what firewall you have, it's somehow probable that you don't have any firewall (except the Windows Firewall). In this case, BD might be blocked by something else.

In this case... you might be connected to the internet through a proxy server, and you need to introduce those settings into BitDefender so it can use the connection. Do you know your proxy settings?

Cris.

hi Cris, I'm the administrator. I use to have zone alarm as antivirus and firewall, after I had some virus problem with it I installed BD and zone alarm is no more active. so I cannot undersdtand which appication is bocking BD ( that successfully solved my virus problem), and I don't know how to connect through a proxy server . I have a flat cable connection, xp pro.

thanks

a.

• hallo , is anybody there? I'd like to buy bitdefender but if I can not update the antivirus I have and npbody can help me I have to change my mind.

please help me, thanks

a.

• Hello birba,

Try to access, in your browser, one of the following addresses:

http://upgrade.bitdefender.com

http://upgrade1.bitdefender.com

http://upgrade2.bitdefender.com

http://upgrade3.bitdefender.com

You should get a 403 Forbidden error. This means that the server can be reached, but you don't have access to it with your browser (which is normal). If you get a 404 Not Found or Server not found error, then it means that something blocks access to the update server (which is not normal).

If one server responds (you get the 403 error), then put that server in BitDefender -> Update -> Settings -> Primary location. Try to make an update, and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then it means something blocks BitDefender from accessing the network.

Cris.

• G’Day “birba”

Help is at hand, however I must admit that your PC setup leaves some doubt as to why the BD anti-virus is not updating.

Firstly, if there are other Firewall and Anti-virus and other similar protection programs running, then any other of these programs will have issues in installing them and performing their assigned tasks correctly.

After running the tests for “cris”, and posting the results you experience, then

- Please answer these questions so that someone can help you solve your difficulties and find the source of your problems more quickly.

1. What Firewall and Anti- Virus or other protection of this type of software do you have installed?

2. What did you have installed and how did you uninstall them. i.e. you mentioned that you had ZoneAlarm installed at one time, how did you uninstall it?

3. Is the default Windows Firewall active?

4. Do you have the Windows Defender installed, and is that active?

5. What was the problem with ZoneAlarm, and was this with the free version or the paid Pro version, and which program version did you have of what was installed.

6. I would not suggest the use of ONLY a single Anti-Virus program to protect your PC system and recommend that you consider BitDefender Internet Security 2008 or Total Security 2008.

This is recommended in view of Cable and ADSL fast ISP services which also allow your system to be compromised more quickly by hackers and other spammers who want to infiltrate and otherwise compromise your PC.

7. Have you performed any virus scans on your PC to ensure that it is clean and free from Virus and other infections e.g. Trojan, Worm, spyware, Malware, etc. etc.? – if your current virus scanner is not updating correctly, (which you say it is not) then please go to the Online scanner and follow the instructions to perform a scan on your system.

8. To perform the Online scan go to this link http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ and click on the “Start BitDefender Online Scanner…” This will take some time depending on the Internet connection speed (ISP plan) you have, but is necessary to ensure you have a clean system as it is difficult to install any program on a infected PC and foremost it is useless to install Firewall or Anti-Virus programs to attempt to remove viruses that the system is already infected with.

Help is not always a “Cut and Dry” case, and to ensure that the help that is offered will fix your problems, I would suggest that you answer the question so that we are clear on what we are dealing with, and in this way you can then obtain specific clear instructions of what you need to do and how to do it.

pcbugfixer :ph34r:

• thanks to both. althought zone alarm was not active , his firewall was indeed. I uninstalled and everything works fine t

a.

• G'Day “birba”,

Glad this forum was helpful.

Have you installed a new firewall ?

Ref item 6 in my last post.

“6. I would not suggest the use of ONLY a single Anti-Virus program to protect your PC system and recommend that you consider BitDefender Internet Security 2008 or Total Security 2008.

This is recommended in view of Cable and ADSL fast ISP services which also allow your system to be compromised more quickly by hackers and other spammers who want to infiltrate and otherwise compromise your PC.”

• birba
    edited February 2008
    G'Day "birba",

Glad this forum was helpful.

Have you installed a new firewall ?

Ref item 6 in my last post.

"6. I would not suggest the use of ONLY a single Anti-Virus program to protect your PC system and recommend that you consider BitDefender Internet Security 2008 or Total Security 2008.

This is recommended in view of Cable and ADSL fast ISP services which also allow your system to be compromised more quickly by hackers and other spammers who want to infiltrate and otherwise compromise your PC."

that's why I installed trial version of total security and soon i'll buy it.

thanks for yout help

• Hello, I have just installed the Bit defender antivirus 2008 trial Version, and it won't update.

I have configured my proxy setings (the server use Windows 2003 with ISA Server 2000) but BitDefender says I an not authoprized to use the Proxy Server.

My local firewall (Windows XP) is not active, and the server administrator says that Bitdefender should be able to updates.

I have also tried AVG antivirus and other products, and they easily updated themselves through the same configuration.

What can I do?

Thanks

Ezequiel

• Dear Ezequiel,

Can you please go to the update section click on the settings tab once you started BitDefender Internet Security 2008? Press on the button manage proxies. Now enter the settings of your proxy. Don't forget to press on ok to confirm. Once you are in the settings menu press on apply.

Best regards

Niels

• Ezequiel
    edited March 2008

Thank you, Niels. Can you please read muy post?

It clearly says "Bit defender antivirus 2008 trial Version". It doesn't say "BitDefender Internet Security 2008".

Thanks for your nice helping!

Ezequiel

Can you please go to the update section click on the settings tab once you started BitDefender Internet Security 2008?
  • Dear Ezequiel,

In this case that doesn't make any difference because in every BitDefender 2008 solution on that same location you can enter your proxy settings. Sorry about that.

Best regards

Niels

• Thank you, Niels.

Niels and everybody, the thing is that my proxy settings are already Ok, but Bitdefender doesn't update.

I have just found the same problem testing NOD32. The seller's computer guy says it's aproblem of the last version of NOD32. We have suspended the buying until there is a solution, and I'm testing other antivirus. I like Bitdefender, but if it won't update, we won't buy.

Does anybody have a clue about this?