Configuring For Windows Live Messenger

Hi all,

What path do I need to add to Windows live messenger to ensure it uses bitdefender to scan incoming file transfers under tools/options/file transfer in WLM?

Regards,

Paul

Comments

• That would be

o control panel

o add/remove programs

o uninstall bitdefender

o install somethat that works

• That would be

o control panel

o add/remove programs

o uninstall bitdefender

o install somethat that works

Oh......

So this is not such a good idea then ?

• Oh......

So this is not such a good idea then ?

Has anyone got an answer to this? I cannot find anthing on the net and I cannot beleive it has not been a problem for anyone else???

Basically Windows Live Messenger either needs to be pointed towards your AV product of choice or you need to enable the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner otherwise you will not be able to transfer exe files etc using WLM.

What I am not sure about is what to point it towards, I don't want to install the OneCare safety scanner if I can help it

Regards,

Paul

• Has anyone got an answer to this? I cannot find anthing on the net and I cannot beleive it has not been a problem for anyone else???

Basically Windows Live Messenger either needs to be pointed towards your AV product of choice or you need to enable the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner otherwise you will not be able to transfer exe files etc using WLM.

What I am not sure about is what to point it towards, I don't want to install the OneCare safety scanner if I can help it

Regards,

Paul

You are not alone. I too have the same problem. Bitdefender is an awsome AV but is not perfect. That flaw is stupid and very annoying. I'm also looking for a solution. Anyone?

• Dear Alluca

You don't need to enter any part of BitDefender to be able to scan the incoming file transfers because BitDefender realtime protection does this by default. uiscan.exe is used for scanning a folder or harddisc or partition.You can find that in the BitDefender installation directory.

Best regards

Niels

• Dear Alluca

You don't need to enter any part of BitDefender to be able to scan the incoming file transfers because BitDefender realtime protection does this by default. uiscan.exe is used for scanning a folder or harddisc or partition.You can find that in the BitDefender installation directory.

Best regards

Niels

I've seen this answer in a couple of places and it does not address the basic issue.

Messenger does not care about the on access scanner, and neither do I or the original poster.

Messenger requires that downloaded files be scanned with an external virus scanner, at least ones with extensions on it's "potentially unsafe" list. If you don't, you can't get the files. Messenger has no way to tell that there is an on access scanner installed, so it errs on the side of caution, and rightfully so.

This is a very basic function. An executable file that you pass a command line containing the path to the directory or file to be scanned. Scan the file(s) and return a pass or fail. A good programmer could probably add this in under an hour.

AVG Free does this with no muss or fuss. I'm guessing the full version would as well. Perhaps I should take my ten license, three year BitDefender purchase and go there?

FYI C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2008\uiscan.exe does in fact work, after a fashion, but requires you to browse to the folder in question ("My Documents\My Received Files" in this case) and then it scans the whole folder. Messenger seems to accept this, but it's still a royal PITA.

I'm going to report this as a bug to BitDefneder and see what happens, otherwise I think g4hlf's solution has some merrit.

• goetz.lohmann@gmx.de
    edited November 2008
    I've seen this answer in a couple of places and it does not address the basic issue.

Messenger does not care about the on access scanner, and neither do I or the original poster.

Messenger requires that downloaded files be scanned with an external virus scanner, at least ones with extensions on it's "potentially unsafe" list. If you don't, you can't get the files. Messenger has no way to tell that there is an on access scanner installed, so it errs on the side of caution, and rightfully so.

there are some options:

1. use

%windir%\system32\attrib.exe

This program which should exist in nearly all Windows Instalations is normal used to set file attributes like read only or hidden, etc. If you call that program without parameter it just display the attribute and do ... nothing ... so exactly what you want in Windows Messenger to please it without much bothering.

2. use

a third party scanner (e.g. the old f-prot dos scanner which is discontinued or the always free http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamwin/ ) .... I know that this may be a competitor to BitDefender but at least they offer a good independent commanline solution and this way you get absoluty sure that your downloaded file is virus free because another scan engine with other scanning data checked that file as well. Also this scanner can completly sleep in the background as a real on-demand scanner.

3. use

Windows Live OneCare ... I guess really the worst Solution, but as long as BitDefender refuses to give us an easy way to go around those things ... or as suggested in another thread

About the MSN, we have a pretty nice new feature, in the upcoming version, that is called IM Encryption. You can try the Beta for BitDefender 2009 here: http://beta.bitdefender.com
    ... which would be interesting to take a look at

4. maybe

I read in the documenatation that you can save tasks as desktop shortcuts. So one try would be to create a "single file scan task" or "Empfangene Dateien scan task" and save that as a shortcut "scan.exe". Then use that shortcut to please the Messagner?

• Since BitDefender does negate the need for direct integration, simply follow the steps below:

1. Open the "Options" menu item

a. Click Show Menu

b. Point to "Tools"

c. Click Options

2. Click "File Transfer"

3. Clear the check box "Scan files for viruses using:"

If you using Windows Messenger, you really should upgrade to Windows Live Messenger. It's a free download and the basic security is significantly improved.