Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Options

Just installed the above software. Understand that this is a "on-demand scanner". As such, is it normal that there are 2 processes (bdss.exe and bdswitch.exe) running in the background even when I have not run the program. Is there anyway to turn these off until I run the program. Thanks

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi altechk

Try this go to start,run,at the run dialog box type msconfig press enter then go to latest tab (start up or boot). There you will find items with bdss.exe and bdswith.exe. I only recommend that you uncheck bdss.exe that is part of their virus shield (=realtime protection). Confirm by pressing on apply and ok.

Regards

Niels

• altechk
    Options

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the reply. So you still will have bdswitch.exe running in the background ? Since this is a on-demand tool, I still don't understand the need to have background activity when I have not even run the program. My problem is that my PC is quite resource-limited, so I am trying to keep the bare minimum of resource usages. Thanks.

• Niels
    Options

Hi altechk

You must run that process to let BitDefender run on all accounts. I suggest that you check other start up items with this website: http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html If you see an N or X you may uncheck that item. I can't tell you why they let the process start with windows while the free version doesn't offer realtime protection.

Regards

Niels

• altechk
    Options

Hi Niels,

Thanks. Will check out your suggestion.

Since this is their official forum, maybe someone from the BD can comment if there is a way to turn these off. In fact, I just realised that there is one more task running in the background, xcommsvr.exe, that's from DB (Softwin).

• Niels
    Options

Hi altechk

That is a necessary task that must be running in the background. That file is necessary to let all modules of BitDefender run together.

Glad that I could help you.

Regards

Niels