Practical Password Management

I would enjoy being able to use Lastpass (or other password management tools) while using Safepay.

Safepay is a great concept and implementation. However, I do not use it because the Lastpass add-in is non-functional within the sandbox environment.

Comments

• For people like me (read chea.p), use KeePass. It's free and work just fine. Good for me as I have a bunch of new passwords to keep track of and I've reached the tipping point of having too much to remember. Best stand-alone password manager I've tried.

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    I would enjoy being able to use Lastpass (or other password management tools) while using Safepay.

Safepay is a great concept and implementation. However, I do not use it because the Lastpass add-in is non-functional within the sandbox environment.

Well, this is a hard one.

To use an external program (how do we validate one?) inside Safepay's desktop pretty much will defeat the purpose of isolation.

Although I understand your need. It would be an option to use Bitdefender Wallet instead?

Also, as an alternative, now at least there is the switch between desktops; you can grab a password from the default desktop and paste it into Safepay desktop - although that would not be a regular use case, it will do the job.

But the main issue is composed from other two things; one, as I said already, would be to let another program to run inside.

The second is even more dangerous. Even if trusted, I (sadly) watched how over 95% of programs fail miserably (yes, I'm not afraid to say it) when run in another desktop than the default one. Among them, Internet Explorer (crash), Chrome (corrupts profile) and Firefox (not responding and then crash).

One of the latest issues was, for example, Java: we will (optionally) enable Java for user having to deal with bank websites using it. And I watched how the plugin is executing inside the Safepay process in secure desktop, while Java was launched in the default desktop; the result being that the plugin and Java executable could not communicate AT ALL. I had to resort to some hot patching techniques (yes, replacing operating system calls with ours ...) in order to trick java.exe to launch in the correct desktop.

That is not a lament, BTW; just trying to let you have a better picture about what can happen.

Regards,

Cristian