Possible Unwanted Wi-fi Connection

Since I'm using wi-fi I've got "monitor wi-fi connections" switched on in Bitdefender Internet Security 2013. Looking at the firewall events the WAN IP address of my router appears every 20 minutes (plus a few seconds) the whole time my laptop is connected to the internet. There's another IP address though that appears at random intervals which begins with a 10. I understand that this means it's a private network address so I was just wondering if it's me as the address is always the same or if someone else is accessing my router wirelessly.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• This is still going on. I tried blocking the private IP address but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The address beginning with 10 has since changed to another one beginning with 10 (10.*.*.*) which I've also blocked to no avail.

Does anyone know why these private network addresses are connecting to my router please?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello,

A quick solution for the encountered issue is to upgrade to The New Bitdefender. The upgrade is absolutely free of charge and due to the many improvements brought to this lineup any issues you may have encountered with your current product are now solved.

In order to upgrade to the new version please follow the steps below:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=366&id=58

From now on, post in this area of the forum in case you encounter further issues after the upgrade:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showforum=360

Thank you.

• Ah I see. This is obviously a pre-defined post that doesn't necessarily address my issue at all. This is not about BD being at fault but rather it detecting possibly unwanted activity on my network. I'll have a look elsewhere with regards to the IP addresses beginning with 10. Thanks anyway. :)

• Do you have a secured wi-fi? For anyone to access my wi-fi, they need to know my password. You can configure any router to have a password. Now, I don't know how easy it is for people to hack passwords. I think, though, the first thing is to make sure you router requires a password before anyone can use your wi-fi signal.

• Thanks Gin. Yeah, my router most definately has a password. I was thinking along the lines of hacking activity.

This discussion has been closed.