Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How Do I Temporarily Disable Or Turn Off Bd

I'm sure this will seem silly, but I'm having a hard time finding this info.

How can I temporarily disable or turn off BD, I just installed Bitdefender Total Security 2013, and my system runs Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

For example, when installing a program I might want to do this.

Also, what is the best way if I want to prevent BD from starting up when my system boot_s up? And are there any other situations when it would automatically start itself up?

I have an SSD as my system drive, and I don't think I want BD to constantly scan my drive in the background forever. I don't often access the internet from the machine I installed BD on, so I don't need to have it on all the time.

Answers to any of these questions would be appreciated.

Comments

• You can probably do a right click on system tray on its icon and there should be an option for you to stop it temporarily. smile2.png

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello LawnMower,

Welcome to the Bitdefender forum!

There isn't a button to completely disable Bitdefender. You can temporarily turn of the on-access scanning feature.

[how to DISABLE THE ANTIVIRUS PROTECTION in Bitdefender 2013]

In order to disable the antivirus protection,please open Bitdefender and click the "Settings" button in the upper side part of the interface"; In the new window go to "Antivirus" > "Shield"tab and switch to OFF On-access scanning. Select the time interval that suites your troubleshooting needs and click "OK" . The On-access scanning should be enabled back after finishing the troubleshooting procedure.

You can also go to Exclusions (under Settings > Antivirus > Exclusions tab) and exclude the files and folders you want to be ignored by the On-demand and/or On-access Bitdefender scan.

On the same tab, you will find options to Disable/Ask every time the Autoscan for Mapped network drives and other removable devices.

Feel free to post back if you have other questions, I will gladly help you.

• Thanks Georgia. A related question:

When entering Safe Mode, BitDefender does not run in a visible way - interface not accessible, no icon in the System Tray, does not show up as recognizable processes in the Task Manager. Yet when running alternative cleaner programs, they warn that BitDefender is still running. It appears that bdagent.exe is in the Startup config, and there is no way to disable this in Safe Mode. Can you advise the proper way to disable BitDefender completely when in this mode?

I'm running windows XP-SP3.

Thanks.

• Thanks Georgia. A related question:

When entering Safe Mode, BitDefender does not run in a visible way - interface not accessible, no icon in the System Tray, does not show up as recognizable processes in the Task Manager. Yet when running alternative cleaner programs, they warn that BitDefender is still running. It appears that bdagent.exe is in the Startup config, and there is no way to disable this in Safe Mode. Can you advise the proper way to disable BitDefender completely when in this mode?

I'm running windows XP-SP3.

Thanks.

You have to go to Services from Computer Management, locate and disable all Bitdefender Services (Disable Startup Type and Service Status) in Windows Safe Mode

• Now it's my turn.  It is 2017, I'm running BD Antivirus Plus.  I have W7 OS.  Problem: I am having trouble and suspect that BD is interfering with my internet connection. Ever since I boughlt BD I have had problems.  But in order to determine whether this is connected or not, I need to disable BD. This is the most unuser friendly program I've ever had. Can someone help me know how to disable this for a few  hours to determine whether this is related?  It is either that or buy a new modem and I cannot in good conscience buy a new modem without checking all the possibilities first.  Please, can anyone help?  Thank you.

• Autumn, I am having the same problem. I hope someone who knows the answers responds.

• Hi Dlynne, after utter frustration with this program, I finally went into msconfig and disabled it that way.

Here's what I did:  (on W7, type "msconfig" at the startup button and hit enter).  When the system configuration box pops up, click on "STARTUP" tab, uncheck bitdefender, click APPLY, then OKAY.  Restart the computer.  This completely disables the program entirely until finished doing what is needed.  Once finished with that, I went back into the MSCONFIG, re-checked Bitdefender in the startup process, clicked APPLY, and OKAY, then restarted the computer. Back in business. 

Not knowing the level of your computer knowledge or anyone that might also be looking for a similar answer, I try to warn users to be mindful that when an antivirus is disabled, the computer is at risk until activated again. :o  Hope that helps. :D

• Autumn, thanks so much for this detailed reply. I don't have enough self-confidence to do this myself, but I will give a copy of this to my IT guy. In last year's versions of Bitdefender there as a simply button to click to disable Bitdefender for a specific amount of time. It seems they did away with it in this year's version.

• He will know how to do that.  This is my first time using BD and have to confess I've not been very happy with it.  It's unfortunate that they removed the disable feature because there are times when an antivirus needs to be disabled for various reasons.  Whoever developed this program made it unbelievably and unnecessarily confusing.  I'm not an expert but an IT expert that I know believes I have a good knowledge of programs.  I can usually figure programs out but unfortunately, when it comes to BD, I'm left shaking my head. :wacko:  Here's hoping they make it more user-friendly in the next version. 

I wish you the best. :)

This discussion has been closed.