Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Antivirus 2013 Will Not Update With Dual-boot Pc

Options
baroque-quest
edited May 2013 in Installation

I have a newly built dual-boot PC (built by me: Intel H67 motherboard and Sandy Bridge CPU) with Windows 7 Pro 64 in both boot_s. I put Bitdefender on only one OS. The installation appeared to go fine, but when I try to update, I see an error 1017. Bitdefender support told me that 1017 means there is a communications problem preventing Bitdefender from reaching the mother ship.

They told me to Repair it using the Start Menu option. I did this and nothing changed. Even worse, on the screen where I am shown the choices of OS, at the bottom are two lines showing Bitdefender Repair Mode, with one of them having a '(2)' at the end, implying that this is the second instance of this thing.

I have Bitdefender running fine on two other single-boot PCs, so I am starting to believe that Bitdefender has a problem with dual-boot systems.

Anyone here running Bitdefender on a dual-boot system?

Comments

• baroque-quest
    edited May 2013
    Options

Following up on my own post, I think I have proven my hypothesis correct. I used a restore point created just before I installed Bitdefender to go back in time, or at least I thought. After I rebooted, I expected to see two things: no Bitdefender appearing on the OS on which it was installed and the two entries of "Bitdefender Repair Mode" (or Repair Disk, I cannot remember) to have disappeared. Only the former was true; the two entries remained. Therefore, Bitdefender's hooks are firmly embedded into the BCD/MBR.

Bitdefender needs to include a note on its webpage and its packaging to the effect that dual-boot_s are not recommended when using Bitdefender. If I had known this, I would not have purchased it.

And why does this website sometimes insert a '_' after the word "boot"?

• I am the same person who posted "Bitdefender Antivirus 2013 Will Not Update With Dual-boot Pc" just recently. I thought I had confirmed that Bitdefender had a problem in a dual-boot situation. The problem was that Bitdefender would never update, always terminating with an error 1017, which support told me was a communication problem.

I found this difficult to believe, as this PC is a lab machine with a hot-swap rack where I slip in drives containing different OS. No OS or other anti-virus product has a problem communicating with the Internet. Additionally, I have a drive inside the case, which I connect or disconnect based on my needs; the previous time, Bitdefender was installed on the inside drive. Therefore, the problem is not the rack.

So today I took a clean drive, installed Windows 7, and installed Bitdefender. I thought for sure that everything would be fine. No, the exact same problem occurred.

So one of two things is true:

1) Bitdefender, for whatever reason, pukes on my hardware (Intel DH67BL and i5-2405S), or

2) Bitdefender is now broken due to a bug added to the code in the last two months or so (I was able to install it on two single-boot PCs 1-2 months ago).

In either case, support has nothing to tell me. They never even responded to my previous email when I suggested that dual-boot_s might be the problem.

Bitdefender has been an enormous waste of time and money. I will make sure to mention Bitdefender's problems to anyone who asks, customer or otherwise.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

I found your existing ticket 201305301006171 in the system.

If you decide to reconsider our products remember our Technical Support Office is open 24/7. Please do not hesitate to contact us. You can either reply to our last e-mail *(Ticket ID: 201305301006171), you can post back, use our chat system by accessing http://www.bitdefender.com/en/Main/contactEmail or you can call (+1) 954 928 2780.