Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows 8.1 And Bitdefender Free Edition. Notification Task Bar Icon Disappears.

Options

I have Windows 8.1. Clean install with no malware. I do understand that this OS is still in trail, but I only wanted to give Bitdefender a heads up on my problem. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing/repairing with no success.

The problem: Bitdefender Free Edition system tray icon will randomly (I tried to replicate the problem to no avail) disappear. Windows doesn't report any antivirus programs 'not installed' when it happens. I have to double click on the Bitdefender Free Edition desktop or start menu shortcut to get the icon to come back. Once the icon comes back, usually it takes about 2-3 hours for it to disappear again. When I open the task manager while the icon is gone, there is only one instance of Bitdefender Free Edition running (usually there is two).

Comments

• Nesivos
    Options
    I have Windows 8.1. Clean install with no malware. I do understand that this OS is still in trail, but I only wanted to give Bitdefender a heads up on my problem. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing/repairing with no success.

The problem: Bitdefender Free Edition system tray icon will randomly (I tried to replicate the problem to no avail) disappear. Windows doesn't report any antivirus programs 'not installed' when it happens. I have to double click on the Bitdefender Free Edition desktop or start menu shortcut to get the icon to come back. Once the icon comes back, usually it takes about 2-3 hours for it to disappear again. When I open the task manager while the icon is gone, there is only one instance of Bitdefender Free Edition running (usually there is two).

You might try this.

In desktop mode try right clicking on the Taskbar, left click on Properties and click on Notification Area-Customize (assumes no changes from W8). Find the BD line item and make sure its notifications are properly set.

• stebo12
    Options

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do have "Always show all icons and notifications in the taskbar" checked. This is genuinely a process disappearing.

post-106694-1374509083_thumb.jpg

• Nesivos
    Options
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do have "Always show all icons and notifications in the taskbar" checked. This is genuinely a process disappearing.

I think someone else will have to help you on this. I use BD AV Free on W7-SP1 x64 and the only processes I am seeing are "gzserv.exe" "gziface.exe" I don't recall ever seen the line items in your pic.

• stebo12
    Options

Today, I did not have any icon issues. I will post back if it disappears again.

• stebo12
    edited July 2013
    Options

Bitdefender system tray icon just disappeared again after a couple hours of playing World of Warcraft. The process above (in pic) is not running. I have to double click on Bitdefender to make the system tray icon re-appear.

• LoA
    Options

Hi,

I can sort of replicate your icon fault.

For me on completion of a scan, the icon disappears.

And doesn't come back till a reboot.

Bit defender stays active though no icon.

• stebo12
    Options
    Hi,

I can't narrow down when it disappears, but usually after I finish playing World of Warcraft, I hover over the icon and it usually disappears. Windows doesn't report Bitdefender not working, so maybe it is only the "system tray process" that closes.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback :)

We do not guarantee the full functionality of the product on a prerelease operating system. You may also want to read this post.

Thank you.

• stebo12
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you for your feedback :)

We do not guarantee the full functionality of the product on a prerelease operating system. You may also want to read this post.

Thank you.

I understand that (see my 1st post). I was only giving feedback if this was a bug you didn't know about.

• LoA
    Options
    Hi,

This is on win8, same as above.

• stebo12
    Options

So the problem is possibly not because of a pre-release OS. I hope Bitdefender works out the kinks in their software. The labs like them, but after using their software (BIS 2012,2013, BTS 2012,2013, New BIS, Bit Free) on different OS configs and setups, I am starting to realize many of their software releases are buggy.

• stebo12
    Options

So the problem is possibly not because of a pre-release OS. I hope Bitdefender works out the kinks in their software. The labs like them, but after using their software (BIS 2012,2013, BTS 2012,2013, New BIS, Bit Free) on different OS configs and setups, I am starting to realize many of their software releases are buggy.

• So the problem is possibly not because of a pre-release OS. I hope Bitdefender works out the kinks in their software. The labs like them, but after using their software (BIS 2012,2013, BTS 2012,2013, New BIS, Bit Free) on different OS configs and setups, I am starting to realize many of their software releases are buggy.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit and the icon is gone as we speak, so no, it's not the the OS, it's Bit Defender.

• Hopefully a dev will take note of this bug and release a fix soon. Icon in the notification bar disappearing is a big deal.

I'm not sure if 1083 update fixed this issue, but I will know soon (I re-installed Bitdefender Free)

• After 1083 update, Bitdefender Free system tray icon still disappears.

PC: Windows 8.1 x64