Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall Blocking Problems

Options

After I updated to the latest version of Internet Security 2013 the firewall began blocking all my printer functions and back up & recovery functions. Hitting "Allow" didn't help and setting up Application Rules made no difference. I contacted technical support. It's now been more than 48 hrs and I've heard nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• antikythera
    Options

Hello, as long as you are certain the blocked executable files are clean you can add them to the excluded process list (with allow selected) for the antivirus module. this makes Bitdefender ignore them for IDS and firewall alerts as well.

• Hello, as long as you are certain the blocked executable files are clean you can add them to the excluded process list (with allow selected) for the antivirus module. this makes Bitdefender ignore them for IDS and firewall alerts as well.

Hitting "Allow" was not adding the files to the excluded list. I've been having to add every blocked process myself, which has been extremely time consuming. I now have eight pages of exclusions in order to be able to use my printer or open and use any of my word processing programs. Customer support was useless and made no real attempt to solve the problem. It took them four days to even respond and after downloading my information, and another two days, I was told to use the repair tool provided. They never bothered to ask if I had tried to do that already. If they had asked, I could have told them I had and each reboot erased all my exclusions and would recognize fewer and fewer processes. At one point it wouldn't even allow me to set up my wireless network. It's apparent from other posts and chatter on the internet, BD is causing a lot of problems. As more and more people download newer versions of BD and begin having problems, unless BD fixes their program and does a better job with customer support, they will soon loose their #1 ranking.

• Hitting "Allow" was not adding the files to the excluded list. I've been having to add every blocked process myself, which has been extremely time consuming. I now have eight pages of exclusions in order to be able to use my printer or open and use any of my word processing programs. Customer support was useless and made no real attempt to solve the problem. It took them four days to even respond and after downloading my information, and another two days, I was told to use the repair tool provided. They never bothered to ask if I had tried to do that already. If they had asked, I could have told them I had and each reboot erased all my exclusions and would recognize fewer and fewer processes. At one point it wouldn't even allow me to set up my wireless network. It's apparent from other posts and chatter on the internet, BD is causing a lot of problems. As more and more people download newer versions of BD and begin having problems, unless BD fixes their program and does a better job with customer support, they will soon loose their #1 ranking.

At least you ate getting replies, I've submitted THREE (3) seperate support requests and have gotten absolutely no replies to my firewall blocking problem and the latest version of "the new Bitdefender"

They officially now have the crapiest support of all the security suites I've tried over the years

• I've given up on BD firewall, I've disabled it and re-enabled the Windows Firewall, all problems solved. I fought for months with issues and have had enough. We use Kaspersky at work

and have many problems with it's firewall too. I'm in IT security and the latest findings are that firewalls are becoming less and less effective and harder to manage all the time, there is

no way to patch all the holes, yet retain a functioning system, thus, we have looked to using other tools, such as an IP Filter to better manage traffic. I now use OpenDNS at home, it's free

for home use and easy to setup and manage and actually, far more effective, as it gives you enterprise level filtering and security, for free. Best of all, you don't have to install any software

to use it, it's an excellent layer to add to your AV product. If you are having firewall problems, just disable and use Windows Firewall and setup OpenDNS, you'll be happier and actually

more secure. Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that OpenDNS isn't a firewall, however, it works at a much higher level. Go to their web site for more explanation on how it works and decide for yourself.

My apologies to BD for this post, but honestly, your firewall is infuriating. I love the rest of BD, however and will continue to use it. As I have tested other AV firewall products, only to find

similar issues with all of them, and BD continues to score highest in AV rankings, hats off for that. But, I think we need to steer away from firewall technologies, they have become ineffective

anyway as most attacks come now at the application layers, thus, more emphasis needs to go there, and end this firewall frustration, especially for end users that have no clue about firewalls.

• I've given up on BD firewall, I've disabled it and re-enabled the Windows Firewall, all problems solved. I fought for months with issues and have had enough. We use Kaspersky at work

and have many problems with it's firewall too. I'm in IT security and the latest findings are that firewalls are becoming less and less effective and harder to manage all the time, there is

no way to patch all the holes, yet retain a functioning system, thus, we have looked to using other tools, such as an IP Filter to better manage traffic. I now use OpenDNS at home, it's free

for home use and easy to setup and manage and actually, far more effective, as it gives you enterprise level filtering and security, for free. Best of all, you don't have to install any software

to use it, it's an excellent layer to add to your AV product. If you are having firewall problems, just disable and use Windows Firewall and setup OpenDNS, you'll be happier and actually

more secure. Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that OpenDNS isn't a firewall, however, it works at a much higher level. Go to their web site for more explanation on how it works and decide for yourself.

My apologies to BD for this post, but honestly, your firewall is infuriating. I love the rest of BD, however and will continue to use it. As I have tested other AV firewall products, only to find

similar issues with all of them, and BD continues to score highest in AV rankings, hats off for that. But, I think we need to steer away from firewall technologies, they have become ineffective

anyway as most attacks come now at the application layers, thus, more emphasis needs to go there, and end this firewall frustration, especially for end users that have no clue about firewalls.

I'm sorry I almost missed your post. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I pretty much gave up on this forum and quit visiting as often, since there was only one reply and it was of little help in solving my problem. The situation with BD was extremely frustrating and I ended up removing it. I moved to Vipre and Malwarebytes, which has worked well so far. I will check out OpenDNS. I'm always looking for ways to improve security.