Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How Does The Bit Defender Updater Work ?

Options
busterbuddy
edited August 2013 in Update

I have recently switched my security to BDIS.

In the two security programs I have used in the past, updates were pushed to the user. In other words, the user received updates when the company had one available.

From what I have observed the BDIS Updater works differently. It checks for updates at regular intervals and when it checks there may be no new Update to download.

Is this correct?

I say this because I frequently see BDIS going to the update download URL and downloading nothing and then closing. The log will not show any new updates.

Comments

• antikythera
    Options

correct. by default the updater checks every 15 mins for databases. and every 60 for program updates. if nothing found, nothing logged or downloaded. if something found, logged and downloaded. when prompted you will need to restart for program updates. as and when this happens there will usually be a red 1 on the widget. click it to see the alert.

• correct. by default the updater checks every 15 mins for databases. and every 60 for program updates. if nothing found, nothing logged or downloaded. if something found, logged and downloaded. when prompted you will need to restart for program updates. as and when this happens there will usually be a red 1 on the widget. click it to see the alert.

Thanks Again for your help :-)

• columbo
    Options

Also, just to add a couple of side notes to antikythera's excellent info, is that you can receive a pop up prompt from BD when a restart is needed, Settings/Update/Postpone reboot to Off. Try it and see what you think.

If you want to change the update frequency, this can be done fairly easily in Notepad, by following Georgia's instructions here. I've now changed mine again for signature updates to every 90 minutes, and product updates to 360 (less watching of the seemingly constantly spinning widget updater orb which I have set to always be on top with the smaller 2014 version widget, and less inbound outbound BD traffic)

• antikythera
    Options

Thanks for the above very useful additional info :)

• Nesivos
    Options
    Also, just to add a couple of side notes to antikythera's excellent info, is that you can receive a pop up prompt from BD when a restart is needed, Settings/Update/Postpone reboot to Off. Try it and see what you think.

If you want to change the update frequency, this can be done fairly easily in Notepad, by following Georgia's instructions here. I've now changed mine again for signature updates to every 90 minutes, and product updates to 360 (less watching of the seemingly constantly spinning widget updater orb which I have set to always be on top with the smaller 2014 version widget, and less inbound outbound BD traffic)

Great info. Thanks.

Updates appear to work similarly in BD W8 Security. I have left the default update settings unchanged. Every morning the first thing I do after logging into Windows is check my security software to see if any actions need to taken. If so I just follow the instructions. Just another way of handling messages from security software. I am not saying it is better, just chiming in. Seems to work for me.

• columbo
    Options

Thanks, Nesivos :)

It sounds like you have a nice routine going there :) Otherwise the reboot prompts, or the update alerts can get to be a bit annoying, i.e. another distracting pop-up.

updates_zps508b03a5.jpg

• Georgia
    Options

Hello all,

Detailed information about the Bitdefender update process is found in the userguide and you can also access Help & Support - from the lower right corner of the Bitdefender product installed on your PC's. Click Support Center and use the search bar to search for a specific topic/module. In our case, the article is called Keeping Bitdefender up-to-date.

If you are connected to the Internet through broadband or DSL, Bitdefender takes care of this itself. By default, it checks for updates when you turn on your computer and every hour after that. If an update is detected, it is automatically downloaded and installed on your computer.

The update process is performed on the fly, meaning that the files to be updated are replaced progressively. In this way, the update process will not affect product operation and, at the same time, any vulnerability will be excluded.

Please feel free to contact reply with any additional questions or concerns about the Bitdefender update process.

Have a nice day ahead!

• Hello,

I have to add rules in my hardware firewall for the program and definition update functions with Bitdefender, so I am wondering if someone could please tell me what the ip addresses are which are needed so it will work as it should?

Thanks,

LaurentZG