Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Folder Exclusions

Options

New member's first post!

Everything I've searched and read indicates that folder exclusion requires naming each folder explicitly. I understand that wildcards are not allowed but to confirm I've understood correctly I'd like to verify that subfolders are not included when excluding a folder.

I have many archived file types in many folders that don't need scanned and being able to exclude the top level folder would be desirable since I cannot exclude their file extensions, e.g., exe.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• antikythera
    edited August 2013
    Options

I was under the impression that subfolders are included. When you exclude a folder or path, everything in that location and below it should be excluded. However, according to the manual you can still scan the location contextually.

• Wow. Getting a clear response from support is like pulling teeth so instead of being lazy I started my own testing. New Bitdefender Total Security on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I haven't got through all the manual yet so I apologize if these are covered. I created a folder called Virus in a folder called Temp.

1. A Standard User account cannot see or access AV file/folder exclusions even though they are turned on

2. Using an Administrator account I set an on-Access/on-Demand exclusion for the Virus folder

3. I put the eicar test file in the Virus folder

4. Still as an Administrator I created a custom scan for the Temp folder that automatically included files and folders in it

5. Still as an Administrator I ran the scan and the eicar file was ignored

5. Changed to the User account and ran the same on-demand scan and the eicar file was flagged as a risk

6. The log for the scan in #5 does not display that an exclusion was set

Executive summary: Standard User accounts cannot see or modify file/folder exclusions. File/folder exclusions set by an Administrator are ignored in a Standard User account.

C level executive summary: Subfolders are not always excluded when excluding folders.

CEO summary: Synergy!

I want to be wrong here :) so fire away!

• No way to edit posts? Yikes!

I re-ran my steps to make sure I didn't make a mistake and sure enough I did. :(

The exclusion worked in both Windows accounts. No more testing AV while trying to put the kids to bed.

I'm still cranky that I had to do this at all. Between support and the manual it should have been clearer.