Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

What Can Cause A System Scan To Get Stuck?

Options

Hi :-)

Last night before before sleeping I started a full system scan. This morning I found it stuck at 59% and it was stopped, e.g., the elapsed time clock was not advancing. I only have 180 gigs used on my drive.

What type of thing/action/event can cause a scan to get stuck and stop?

Comments

• busterbuddy
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Perhaps a huge file that the CPU utilization went 100% utilized. But how long did you wait for the scan to finish? smile2.png

It happened again last night. A system scan got stuck at 69%. The elapsed time clock showed 1 hr 8 min and was not advancing and the scan was started 4 hours earlier. Files being scanned showed 1/s. I have only 177 gigs used on my HD. The scan was a default scan.

What is particularly disturbing is that the scan screen said it had till that point found 7 infected items and the little square was red.

I assume that when the elapsed time clock is stopped the scan has stopped. I have yet been able to complete a scan with the New BD IS!!!! Even after a clean uninstall in safe mode and reinstall.

A scan with Hitman Pro showed nothing, possibly cause BD had removed or sent to quarantine the 7 infected items.

Nothing else was running on my machine during the scan. I find it doubtful that my quad core got stuck at 100% usage. I have never seen it go above 70% and that was with several programs were running. Also I use Process Lasso Pro and that would never allow a program to hog the CPU or allow it to use 100%

My Anti-Virus tab in settings is empty. Should there be a quarantine tab. (Also my updates tab is empty although there were several updates in it last night)

Why can't BD IS complete a scan on my system ???????????????

And if it did indeed find 7 infected items why did BD allow them to get there, although I assume it would catch them if they tried to run.

• Georgia
    Options

Hello hawki,

There are many reasons why the scan would hang.

Please try following the steps from this knowledge-base article, restart Windows then check if the Bitdefender system scan works:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-do-...mance-1017.html

Feel free to reply to this thread if the issue persists afterwards.

Have a great day!

• busterbuddy
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Hello hawki,

There are many reasons why the scan would hang.

Please try following the steps from this knowledge-base article, restart Windows then check if the Bitdefender system scan works:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-do-...mance-1017.html

Feel free to reply to this thread if the issue persists afterwards.

Have a great day!

Hi Georgia :-)

Thanks for your reply. BDIS continued to cause further problems after several restarts, e.g., freezing, freezing my PC.

With 360 days left on my license I have had to uninstall it.

Either there is a bug in the program or there is a conflict with something or some particular combination of things on my PC. I intend to reinstall it and give it another try at some time in the future.

BTW: The first 2 times I tried a full scan after installing the 30 day demo BDIS the scan did complete and was very light allowing me to do other things on my PC. Neither of these were present today. In addition to no longer being able to complete a full scan (today's attempt was not the first that failed to complete), BDIS scanning slowed my PC considerably and several times my PC froze/crashed if I tried to open another program while the scan was running. I think I may have said otherwise somewhere in this thread. I will try to recall what programs I have installed since the demo that may account for my current issues.

• Georgia
    Options

Sorry to hear about that.

If you decide to reconsider our products please post back at anytime and we will assist you further.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

• busterbuddy
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that.

If you decide to reconsider our products please post back at anytime and we will assist you further.

Thank you for taking the time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further details from us.

I re-installed BDIS and it completed a full scan last night :-)

Changes made before re-install were getting rid of some "Windows:old" files and changing my defrag software. Whether or not these changes made the difference I do not know, but I am happy to be able to use BD 2014.

• Georgia
    Options

I am glad to hear this.Thank you for sharing your results with us, on the forum.

Since the issue is now resolved, I declare this topic closed.

If you need further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a great weekend ahead! :)

This discussion has been closed.