Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Thunderbird Periodically Unresponsive On Mac Os X

Options

Now and again for the last week or two (not before) Thunderbird will become unresponsive with a spinner cursor. This usually lasts about 20 seconds. Input completely halts; typed characters simply do not appear. If I open Activity Monitor, Thunderbird is displayed in red and marked unresponsive. BDDaemon jumps up to 97-99% CPU utilization at these times. RAM used by BitDefender also expands to 5-7 GB, by far the biggest user of RAM on the computer. If I turn off BitDefender, the problem stops. When BDDaemon drops to under 10% CPU use, the computer becomes normally responsive. Other applications than Thunderbird are not affected, and respond normally at these times, though a little slowly.

Thunderbird is configured to access e-mail accounts by IMAP (fastmail.fm and gmail.com). The same problem occurs whether on Wi-Fi or using a Verizon USB data device (Pantech UML290, LTE).

BitDefender Family Pack 2013. Installed several months ago, in June 2013.

MacBookPro8,3 with i7 CPU and 16 GB RAM

OSX is 10.7.5, all updates applied

Thunderbird is 17.0.8, auto-updating

Note: before registering for this forum I found a similar post in these fora mentioning Thunderbird and IMAP using a search engine. However, I have not been able to find that post again after extensive searching since registering for the forum.

Comments

• Found that other forum entry, with no replies:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=13842

• antikythera
    edited September 2013
    Options

If you too are using IMAP, try disabling the Bitdefender Antispam toolbar in Thunderbird's Add-on configuration page. Antispam only works over POP3 protocol according to the manual. So see if that helps at all.

• If you too are using IMAP, try disabling the Bitdefender Antispam toolbar in Thunderbird's Add-on configuration page. Antispam only works over POP3 protocol according to the manual. So see if that helps at all.

Thanks for that idea. There is no BitDefender anti-spam add-on, perhaps because this is a Mac. Maybe that is a Windows only feature.

• no problem, thanks for the polite informative reply too.