Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

generic.miglied

Options

Hello,

During the last few days, whenever I log on to my broadband server a BitDefender popup informs me that it detected a virus called generic.miglied. It then tells me that the computer is safe. I didn't even start my email program (Thunderbird) before the popup. I just purchased Bit Defender last week. When I ask for more information, the Bit Defender sends me to the encyclopedia but does not show the viral characteristics of miglied.

I have Windows XP with all the latest updates. (My previous viral software was Trendmicro).

Here is the log for the latest detection.

h:\documents and settings\esdt\application data\thunderbird\profiles\5qfqt43l.default\mail\pop.MY-DOMAIN.com\inbox=](message 157)=][subject: Johen][Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 02:02:30 +0900]=](MIME part)=]Nicholaus.zm9=]DFC00027.exe

infected with GenPa

Is the virus still within? How do I remove it (or its remnants)?

Thank you in advance...

Comments

• Niels
    Options

Hi Little Bit

I suggest that you boot your pc into safe mode by pressing several times on the f8 button before the windows loading screen. Choose for safe mode. Then open Thunderbird delete message 157 (the mail where BitDefender refers to). I don't know if Thunderbird has the feature compact mails go to file, data file management ,select the current mail archive,Setting ,Compact Now. It could be that you can't compact in Thunderbird. Reboot your pc again.

Regards

Niels

• vlad
    Options

I'm guessing it's Mitglied you're talking about. It appears to be an attachment in this e-mail: Subject: Johen, Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 02:02:30 +0900. Simply delete that e-mail, careful NOT TO OPEN the attachment. If the virus shield blocks you from deleting the mail, disable the shield while deleting the mail and re-enable it after.

It is most likely that if you haven't opened the attachment, you aren't infected.

• Thank you. Actually, I never saw the email. BitDefender seemed to have trashed the message before it even appeared on my incoming. It seemed to be reacting to a remnant of the virus in the backup files.

Per Niel's suggestion I compacted the Thunderbird (yes, new versions of T-bird compact) mailboxes and the problem disappeared.

Thank you for your help.

• Niels
    Options

Hi Little Bit

Glad that I could help you.

Regards

Niels