Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

System Scan Stuck At 59%

Options

Well I bought BitDefender today and I am in a right mess. I was forced to remove AVG and other software which worries me. Then I run System scan and it gets stuck at 59% although the files scanned count is increasing. I tried to search the forum for 59%, stuck 59%, scan stuck 59% and other combinations and it told be the words were too short so I had to go out to Google and do the same search to search the forums that way. Then I saw old posts so came to post a new topic on this subject. NOT impressed and very close to asking for money back. The scan has been running for 2 hours so far. Iknow there is an issue in the browser with toobat.snap.do but so far it hasn't found it. OK, what do I do next...Thanks in advance.

Comments

• This is also a problem for me. Like you I have looked for info on this. What stops mine is a crash in the vsserv process that is required for AV to work and detect threats. I excluded some items from my scan (as a custom scan) like steam, flight sims some other large games. Things that are not likely to get infected. I have 6TB of stuff also exclude mp3 files maybe photos. this will speed the scan up. run your custom scan. each time you run it will get farther until you can complete the scan. I had BD running good but I tried a repair and that set me back to when I first installed. I like this AV but problem make you want to buy another AV.

3770k @ 4.5

Asus sabertooth Z77

16 MB

GTX680 4MB

Win7 64bit

• I just now completed a system scan. I found out that if you let BD start the scan after you set when you want it to run there is a better chance it will complete. Very strange that vsserv crashes when I started the scan myself.. At 59% most of the time but not always. I find that the scan will stay at 59% it seems a long time before moving on if it does not crash. After a few good system scans things should get better. I believe that BD once it scans some files, it will not scan them again unless there has been a change to them.

Most of the time I have to fix my own problems. I have tried tech people and a few have been helpful but just that a few.... Sometimes you have to play with it to get it to work.

• I just now completed a system scan. I found out that if you let BD start the scan after you set when you want it to run there is a better chance it will complete. Very strange that vsserv crashes when I started the scan myself.. At 59% most of the time but not always. I find that the scan will stay at 59% it seems a long time before moving on if it does not crash. After a few good system scans things should get better. I believe that BD once it scans some files, it will not scan them again unless there has been a change to them.

Most of the time I have to fix my own problems. I have tried tech people and a few have been helpful but just that a few.... Sometimes you have to play with it to get it to work.

Well I am trying it again to see what happens... this will be the 4th time. If the same thing happens and I don't get support then money back. I have a business to run and don't have time or indeed the inclination to play around to get it working. I had to delete all other systems off of the computer to install BitDefender which I didn't like doing. I would have preferred to just stop them running. If I move away from BitDefender I have to install them all again.

I think only scanning the files that have changed is an option I have seen somewhere...

Not impressed so far with the product or the support.Amazed that they have won awards.

If they sell me a product it should work... at least something as simple as the AV running to 100%

Support? :wacko:

Colin

• antikythera
    edited October 2013
    Options

Running more than one security product with realtime protection causes conflicts and actually reduces the efficiency of protection instead of increasing it. It is not unique to Bitdefender. Kaspersky for example from experience removes the same when you install that too.

The scan scope to check only modified files is set by default. However, the first scan needs to complete. If the progress bar gets stuck at 59% but the number of files is still increasing then it has not frozen. It will move on when it has got through those files.

My educated guess is that you have a lot of large compressed archives on your system? If so the initial scan will take longer but will complete eventually. Alternatively you can disable the archive check (untick scan inside archives) and speed the process up. This doesn't reduce security since the realtime protection would pick up any threats on access when you try to extract a file from the archive.

post-147261-1382455228_thumb.png

• Windows Defender should it be turned off? If I turn it off then I get a security notice. Anyway you have it on or off the vsserv service still crashes most of the time if you yourself start a scan. You are right that you have to get by the first full system scan and then it will smooth out the more you scan. I had things running good until I did a repair from the uninstall program, hoping to fix the vsserv problem. It wasn't that bad I should have just left it alone. I have a number of times tried to find more info on this. All I find is that I am not the only person with this problem. It seems that most users that have this problem have an Asus motherboard like myself.

• Yes windows defender should really be turned off as well. I go a step further and disable the service for it too. You shouldn't get any further messages about it after the one saying it is turned off.

I also have an Asus board. Have you set a process exclusion for the AI Suite? Take a look at the other exclusions too and try them yourself. See if any improvement. The remainder on the list not shown are specific to O&O Defrag.

post-147261-1382505380_thumb.png

• Colin, I have a fast machine, when I was at the point you are and the full system scan seemed to be stuck at 59% for what seemed a long time. I thought that it stop. It just look a long while. About 3.5 to 4hrs with 16MB ram. Resources make a big difference CPU speed and number of drives, speed of drives, the amount of content on drives. archived files an such. I have four drives with 6TB between them. If you are using your computer at the same time as your scan running takes away resources . Take resources in consideration. As long as the file count is going up like this other poster says, it is working. If you have a crash like I was talking about vsserv service it will tell you. After you go through the reporting and click finish it BD will restart. My guess is that if you are not having this crash then BD may just be taking a long time. Fix your machine to where it will not go to sleep. So BD is not interrupted and let it run over night.

This really is a good piece of software. I know that now that I got through my first scan after reinstalling (repairing) things will improve.

• Yes windows defender should really be turned off as well. I go a step further and disable the service for it too. You shouldn't get any further messages about it after the one saying it is turned off.

I also have an Asus board. Have you set a process exclusion for the AI Suite? Take a look at the other exclusions too and try them yourself. See if any improvement. The remainder on the list not shown are specific to O&O Defrag.

Things will smooth out now I believe, I will take your suggestions. What's name Windows defender service? to be sure. I found it (stopped)

Thanks

learning everyday... even after 25 years of this stuff

That will make you feel old

• Running more than one security product with realtime protection causes conflicts and actually reduces the efficiency of protection instead of increasing it. It is not unique to Bitdefender. Kaspersky for example from experience removes the same when you install that too.

The scan scope to check only modified files is set by default. However, the first scan needs to complete. If the progress bar gets stuck at 59% but the number of files is still increasing then it has not frozen. It will move on when it has got through those files.

My educated guess is that you have a lot of large compressed archives on your system? If so the initial scan will take longer but will complete eventually. Alternatively you can disable the archive check (untick scan inside archives) and speed the process up. This doesn't reduce security since the realtime protection would pick up any threats on access when you try to extract a file from the archive.

Noproblem with disabling other systems,just don't like the idea of uninstalling them, was my point. I do have many compressed files and large discs so your comment is helpful. I completed a full scan over night (14 hours) so\I will look for improvement from now on. Its strange that for other users it sticks at 59% though.That is bound to raise peoples concerns. Many thanks.

• You're welcome. The reason they ask for the other programs to be removed is because even with protection disabled the drivers are still loaded in some instances.

• You're welcome. The reason they ask for the other programs to be removed is because even with protection disabled the drivers are still loaded in some instances.

I added more exclusions of things I know most likely will never get infected. Scan has ran well. I did not suffer that vsserv ( Virus Shield Service) crash. It has been a real pain. I guess having very large archives and many of them, does create problems for some reason. I am looking forward to next version and hope there is improvement in that area. From some of the post I have seen some people have had this issue back in 2010.

thanks again

• Hi,

I purchased the Total Security product yesterday and am having a real problem with a long running scan.

It is installed on a 4 yr old Tosh Sat Pro running Vista Home Premium 32bit.

The install removed my Norton products.

I have shut most things down - browser, mail etc.

Mine is stuck at 9% - it has now been running for 10 Hours and has scanned 579650 items and is still going through c:users\dave which only has 17,418 files in it!

Taskmanager shows System Idle 80% / odscanui.exe 6% - 10% and vsserv.exe 5% - 10% as the main things running.

I'm getting really hacked off and getting very frustrated.

Where can we report such performance, officially? Any ideas?

Dave

• Hi,

I purchased the Total Security product yesterday and am having a real problem with a long running scan.

It is installed on a 4 yr old Tosh Sat Pro running Vista Home Premium 32bit.

The install removed my Norton products.

I have shut most things down - browser, mail etc.

Mine is stuck at 9% - it has now been running for 10 Hours and has scanned 579650 items and is still going through c:users\dave which only has 17,418 files in it!

Taskmanager shows System Idle 80% / odscanui.exe 6% - 10% and vsserv.exe 5% - 10% as the main things running.

I'm getting really hacked off and getting very frustrated.

Where can we report such performance, officially? Any ideas?

Dave

Check the site for contact, support phone. I had to call them once last year. It took awhile to find but when I did they where very friendly and helpful. I have never ran BD on vista.

• @tip - you could email support@bitdefender.com

I have BDIS on two machines running Vista, one 32-bit and one 64-bit. I don't have a load of large compressed archives on my system so haven't experienced the scan freeze issue.

a couple of additional suggestions though. in your particular instance you say the machine is 4 years old. is the operating system installation that old too? if so it may need a little attention. a couple of things to try:

1. run command prompt with admin rights.

2. enter the command compcln.exe (it removes the Service Pack backup files no longer needed on your computer)

3. enter the following commands as well to remove downloaded update files that are no longer needed

net stop wuauserv
    cd \
    cd %windir%
    cd SoftwareDistribution
    DEL /F /S /Q Download
    net start wuauserv

4. run the command chkdsk c: /F and choose to run a check at the next startup. Then restart the PC. Let the scan complete. After this restart the PC twice. First run the disk cleanup tool. Then run a defrag.

Try scanning again, it should go through a little quicker.

• edrichards
    edited December 2013
    Options

After reading some of these posts, I apparently have the same type problem without a real solution. I have BD Total Security 2014 installed for about a month or so now. On my desktop, when I run a System Scan, it takes about an hour and a half. I have about 2+ million files on the main drive and the external drive. When I run the same System Scan on my wife's laptop, it makes it to 26% and basically stops. I have about 1/5 the number of files on the laptop as I do on the desktop. It keeps running but apparently no files are being accessed. I let it run overnight but finally stopped it after 14 HOURS. Same result. 26%. The laptop acts like it's in a loop. I've reported this to tech support last week (Nov 27) and the last word from them is "we're looking into it and will get back to you". In the meantime my laptop might or might not be infected. I asked a local computer guy and he suggested that I have a virus and I should bring it in so they can fix it...at $135 an hour. I thought BD would protest me from this type thing. I've had it installed for over a year now. First the 2013 and now the 2014 versions. I hope I get some relief soon or I'll have to consider other software.