Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[solved] Bitdefender & Thunderbird

Options

Hi Sirs,

I am using Bitdefender antivirus plus 2014 and thunderbird email clients. I have found that there seems to have some conflicts on these two.

When I am trying to save a draft email or delete an email, the CPU useage of bitdefender will increase to about 50% and the thunderbird will be stuck for some seconds. After the email has been deleted and the CPU usage of bitdefender will reduce to be normal.

After I have adjusted the "on-access sacnning" to "Permissive", there will be no above problems.

Is it a issue of Bitdfender or Thunderbird?

Comments

• disappointed that no any reply from Bitdefender.

But have changed to kaspersky, which have no above problem and very good as well.

So, I am sure now there are some bugs on Bitdenfender.

• Georgia
    Options

Hello and welcome to the Bitdefender forums.

Please provide us with more details to be able to assist you:

- this issue happens with any of your emails or with just a certain email?

- what do they have in common all those emails? Do they have attachments, special characters, etc.?

- what Thunderbird version are you currently using?

- is your e-mail client configured to receive e-mail messages via the POP3 protocol or another one?

- what build version is your current Bitdefender? (right click on the Bitdefender icon located in system tray and from the menu select About, then look under Product Information)

Thank you, looking forward to your response.

• ksihota
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the Bitdefender forums.

Please provide us with more details to be able to assist you:

- this issue happens with any of your emails or with just a certain email?

- what do they have in common all those emails? Do they have attachments, special characters, etc.?

- what Thunderbird version are you currently using?

- is your e-mail client configured to receive e-mail messages via the POP3 protocol or another one?

- what build version is your current Bitdefender? (right click on the Bitdefender icon located in system tray and from the menu select About, then look under Product Information)

Thank you, looking forward to your response.

I have a similar problem with Bitdefender Sphere (16.35.0.1936) and Thunderbird 24.2.0

Thunderbird freezes up for 20 to 30 seconds and it was not until just recently I have started getting ****** errors.

The first was ******: resources:///modules/gloda/log4moz.js.291 and the other was ******: chrome//messenger/content/folderPane.js:1783

This was not happening until I upgraded to Win8. Now it is happening quite regularly and it is becoming quite frustrating.

From what I have read, I believe the issue is when Bitdefender scans the draft email files being automatically saved on my local drive. I tried stopping the process that scans outgoing mail and it appeared to work (I did not try it long enough to ensure this is the problem.)

I have now excluded the thunderbird folder where my drafts are stored as an exclusion for bitdefender and hope that will solve the problem. Is there any information that you have that might help with this?

KS

• ksihota
    Options

I have not had any issues with Thunderbird "not responding" since excluding my profile mail folder. I assume this stops BitDefender from scanning any draft files being saved?

However, I began having issues again when I have attached files to my message. Again, I assume this is BitDefender trying to scan the attachment. Since the attachments can be anywhere I cannot exclude these locations. I tested Thunderbird without adding the attachment and then after adding the attachments several time and it always started freezing shortly after adding the attachment.

I tried changing the time between saving drafts in Thunderbird to see if it had any impact and it appears the it does not. BitDefender appears to scan the attachment when it is attached to the draft email. So far the only solution I have is to wait until I have completed my emails before attaching any files.

Is there any way to disable the scanning of attachments until the email is being sent?

• Georgia
    Options

@ ksihota

Please upgrade to Bitdefender Total Security (2014 edition) to correct this issue. Sphere 2013 includes Bitdefender Total Security 2013 and you will be able to upgrade for free to the latest build by referring to these steps:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...ender--711.html

Let us know how is everything going afterwards. Thank you.

• Arise
    Options

Bitdefender Internet Security (Antivirus module) is taking a huge pie of CPU while scanning the Thunderbird mbox folder.

Deleting an email in Thunderbird, will trigger the antivirus to kick in, and while scanning the files it will make Thunderbird unresponsive for a couple of seconds.

Very annoying.

My Inbox file is 1,23 GB, and is also compacted. Latest Thunderbird, latest updated Bitdefender.

As a solution I had to exclude C:\Users\Arise\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles folder.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Arise,

Thank you for posting your workaround.

Make sure there are no other security solutions on the system, then check if everything gets back to normal when you turn OFF the On-access Scanning from (Bitdefender -> Settings -> Antivirus).

I am looking forward to your response.

Also, if you've already contacted the Bitdefender support team by email/chat/phone, please post your ticket ID number.

• Arise
    Options

No other real time antivirus solution running. Bitdefender is the only one.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

A Bitdefender update was released today, which fixes the Thunderbird freezing when on-access scanning is enabled in Bitdefender.

Make sure that the Bitdefender product updates daily, and in order to do this right click on the Bitdefender icon from the system tray (near Windows clock) and choose 'Update now'. Or press the button 'Update Now' on the Bitdefender interface - Update panel. Wait until the update process completes, then restart the computer. The build version was not modified.

Please confirm if the latest Bitdefender update fixes the reported issue.