Antispam Windows 8 Security

Hi,I'm currently using Windows 8 Security,however the antispam functions do not appear to work correctly,spam is still making it into my in box,and when I highlight a spam message and click "is spam" on the toolbar,nothing happens,I have to manually delete the spam messages,I'm using Thunderbird for email,and Windows 8.1,any help appreciated.

Comments

• Nesivos
    Nesivos
    edited December 2013
    Hi,I'm currently using Windows 8 Security,however the antispam functions do not appear to work correctly,spam is still making it into my in box,and when I highlight a spam message and click "is spam" on the toolbar,nothing happens,I have to manually delete the spam messages,I'm using Thunderbird for email,and Windows 8.1,any help appreciated.

I have the same combination running and noticed the same thing. Thunderbird has a pretty good anti-spam feature that learns as it goes along. I have noticed that almost all of the spam sent to me that ends up in Thunderbird finds its way directly directly into the Junk (Trash) folder. (I have Thunderbird set to auto-move spam into Trash rather than into the Junk folder.) though sometimes some stuff winds up in Trash that I don't want in there. I have Spam Assasin checked under the Junk control feature in Account Settings in Thunderbird.

I also have the BDW8 Security anti-spam toolbar installed in Thunderbird. I don't know if Thunderbird takes prcedence over the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature or not. I also do not know if the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature blocks emails from entering Thundrbird. Occasionally I check Add Spammer on an email on the BDW8 Security anti-spam toolbar. I also identify those items as Junk in Thunderbird.

Bottom line. Almost all Spam sent to me that winds up in Thuderbird and is not blocked goes directly to Trash. Whether the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature sends any there I do not know. Though I have noticed a number of emails in the Trash folder not identified with the Thunderbird Spam icon. I think the BDW/ Security anti-spam feature either does nothing probably because Thunderbird overrides it, blocks spam from ever winding up in Thunderbird or sends it to Trash without the Thunderbird icon.

However almost all spam coming to me is either blocked from entering Thunderbird (Though I do not know that for sure) or goes directly into the Trash folder which I do check for false postives before emptying Trash with the Thunderbird delete items in folder option Therefore, it really doesn't matter to me which app is doing it. I don't receive that much email in Thunderbird so it is no problem for me to quickly scan the Trash folder for false postives and move them to the correct folder before deleting the reamaing items in the Trash folder.. If I identify an email in the inbox as spam by first clicking Add Spammer on the BDW8 Security anti-spam toolbar and then clicking on Junk in Thunderbird that email immediately goes to Trash. Clicking on Add Sapmmer by itself on an email in the inbox does not move email to Junk or Trash. Only clicking on Junk in Thunderbird moves the email to Junk. However, Like I said I receive very few of those type of emails that are in my inbox and do not go directly to Trash auto-sent there as spam by Thunderbird since the Thunderbird anti-spam self learning feature has learned to auto-send spam to Junk/Trash or whichever folder I choose.

• I have the same combination running and noticed the same thing. Thunderbird has a pretty good anti-spam feature that learns as it goes along. I have noticed that almost all of the spam sent to me that ends up in Thunderbird finds its way directly directly into the Junk (Trash) folder. (I have Thunderbird set to auto-move spam into Trash rather than into the Junk folder.) though sometimes some stuff winds up in Trash that I don't want in there. I have Spam Assasin checked under the Junk control feature in Account Settings in Thunderbird.

I also have the BDW8 Security anti-spam toolbar installed in Thunderbird. I don't know if Thunderbird takes prcedence over the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature or not. I also do not know if the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature blocks emails from entering Thundrbird. Occasionally I check Add Spammer on an email on the BDW8 Security anti-spam toolbar. I also identify those items as Junk in Thunderbird.

Bottom line. Almost all Spam sent to me that winds up in Thuderbird and is not blocked goes directly to Trash. Whether the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature sends any there I do not know. Though I have noticed a number of emails in the Trash folder not identified with the Thunderbird Spam icon. I think the BDW/ Security anti-spam feature either does nothing probably because Thunderbird overrides it, blocks spam from ever winding up in Thunderbird or sends it to Trash without the Thunderbird icon.

However almost all spam coming to me is either blocked from entering Thunderbird (Though I do not know that for sure) or goes directly into the Trash folder which I do check for false postives before emptying Trash with the Thunderbird delete items in folder option Therefore, it really doesn't matter to me which app is doing it. I don't receive that much email in Thunderbird so it is no problem for me to quickly scan the Trash folder for false postives and move them to the correct folder before deleting the reamaing items in the Trash folder.. If I identify an email in the inbox as spam by first clicking Add Spammer on the BDW8 Security anti-spam toolbar and then clicking on Junk in Thunderbird that email immediately goes to Trash. Clicking on Add Sapmmer by itself on an email in the inbox does not move email to Junk or Trash. Only clicking on Junk in Thunderbird moves the email to Junk. However, Like I said I receive very few of those type of emails that are in my inbox and do not go directly to Trash auto-sent there as spam by Thunderbird since the Thunderbird anti-spam self learning feature has learned to auto-send spam to Junk/Trash or whichever folder I choose.

Thanks for the reply,it sounds from what your saying,Thunderbird is catching the spam,rather than Bitdefender,I also have all the options enabled in the spam settings,but the spam is still getting through.

I seem to remember when I first installed Windows 8 Security,highlighting a spam message,and selecting from the toolbar "is spam" would immediately send the offending message to spam or junk mail folder,this however is no longer the case,as the toolbar seems to do nothing at all.

I do like this software,and I'm shortly due to renew my licence,but if its not compatible with either my Email client or Windows 8.1,I dont see any point in renewing,I hoping maybe someone on here has a solution,again thanks for any help

• Thanks for the reply,it sounds from what your saying,Thunderbird is catching the spam,rather than Bitdefender,I also have all the options enabled in the spam settings,but the spam is still getting through.

I seem to remember when I first installed Windows 8 Security,highlighting a spam message,and selecting from the toolbar "is spam" would immediately send the offending message to spam or junk mail folder,this however is no longer the case,as the toolbar seems to do nothing at all.

I do like this software,and I'm shortly due to renew my licence,but if its not compatible with either my Email client or Windows 8.1,I dont see any point in renewing,I hoping maybe someone on here has a solution,again thanks for any help

As far as I know BDW8 Security is fully compatible with W8.1.

As far as spam getting through goes. I assume you mean shows up in my inbox rather than being put in Junk/Trash or any folder I choose. This is how Yahoo mail and Hotmail/Outlook work. Spam goes directly into the Spam folder. As far as some Spam emails winding up in my inbox rather than going to directly to Spam again this is exactly how Yahoo mail and Hotmail/Outlook work. I see no difference. No Spam filter or email client will send all spam to the Spam/Junk/Trash or folder. It just doesn't happen.

My biggest problem with spam using Thunderbird with the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature are the false postives that wind up in my Trash folder rather than going to my inbox.

• As far as I know BDW8 Security is fully compatible with W8.1.

As far as spam getting through goes. I assume you mean shows up in my inbox rather than being put in Junk/Trash or any folder I choose. This is how Yahoo mail and Hotmail/Outlook work. Spam goes directly into the Spam folder. As far as some Spam emails winding up in my inbox rather than going to directly to Spam again this is exactly how Yahoo mail and Hotmail/Outlook work. I see no difference. No Spam filter or email client will send all spam to the Spam/Junk/Trash or folder. It just doesn't happen.

My biggest problem with spam using Thunderbird with the BDW8 Security anti-spam feature are the false postives that wind up in my Trash folder rather than going to my inbox.

While I appreciate no anti virus programme will catch all spam,I do expect Bitdefender to catch repeat spam from the same spam address,which I had previously added using the "spammers" button on the BD toolbar.

• Just checked the Bitdefender website,and noticed the following under system requirements for Windows 8 Security

Supports/Integrates with:

Firefox 3.6 and higher

Thunderbird 3.0.4

Outlook 2007, 2010

Outlook Express and Windows Mail on x86

So maybe BD antispam is not supported by later versions of Thunderbird,I have installed an older version of Thunderbird (3.0.4) ,and will see if its any better

• While I appreciate no anti virus programme will catch all spam,I do expect Bitdefender to catch repeat spam from the same spam address,which I had previously added using the "spammers" button on the BD toolbar.

Repeat spam. How do you even know it is repeat spam from the same email address? Spammers obfuscate their spam so that you see the what you think is the same email address as before but is actually from a different email address. Thunderbird has an add-on that can identify the real email address of the senders.

How do you know Thunderbird is not over-riding BDW8 Security anti-spam feature maybe because of the way you have Thunderbird setup.

Anyway good luck to you, just don't use avast! because it will allow through onto your computer a lot worse stuff than just spam. cheers

• How do I know its the same email address? Quite simple,its from a printing company,using their company name in the email address field,and also a link in the body of the mail to their website,they are not trying to hide their email address at all.

Anyway,I'm done with this tread,if a mod could close/lock it,that would be great.

• How do I know its the same email address? Quite simple,its from a printing company,using their company name in the email address field,and also a link in the body of the mail to their website,they are not trying to hide their email address at all.

Anyway,I'm done with this tread,if a mod could close/lock it,that would be great.

I don't believe u are correct on this. If they aren't hiding anything then it should be no problem to contact them and ask them to stop sending you email or even easier go to their website and opt out of emails.

Anyway have a nice day.

• Rule number one,never respond to spam email....

Also I dont care what you believe or dont believe,and in all your posts on this topic,there has not been one helpful or useful one.

Please do me a favour,don't post here any more,your a typical arrogant know it all,you just cannot help but push your opinions on others,it's people like you,that put others off looking for help or assistance on forums like this..

Have a very bad day.