Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Interferes With Apple Tv

Options

Yesterday I purchased and installed Bitdefender Antivirus Plus on two computers. After installing, iTunes will no longer steam video to my Apple TV unit via my wireless network. Before the installation, it worked just fine; now, I get a timeout error message. To confirm that Bitdefender is indeed the culprit, I uninstalled it on one computer -- and now everything works fine again.

What can I do to remedy this? I assume there must be some setting in Bitdefender, but I don't know where. I want to keep Bitdefender, but I also want to stream video like before. (Strangely enough, streaming audio still works fine. It's just video that's affected.)

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks!

Morten, Norway

Comments

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Yesterday I purchased and installed Bitdefender Antivirus Plus on two computers. After installing, iTunes will no longer steam video to my Apple TV unit via my wireless network. Before the installation, it worked just fine; now, I get a timeout error message. To confirm that Bitdefender is indeed the culprit, I uninstalled it on one computer -- and now everything works fine again.

What can I do to remedy this? I assume there must be some setting in Bitdefender, but I don't know where. I want to keep Bitdefender, but I also want to stream video like before. (Strangely enough, streaming audio still works fine. It's just video that's affected.)

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks!

Morten, Norway

Well, try this. Narrow down exactly what part of Bitdefender is causing the blockage. For example, turn off the Firewall, and see if that allows video streaming to your Apple TV.

If it is indeed the Firewall, there are some things you can do. For example, add a rule for iTunes in the Firewall's settings. To do this, open the Bitdefender GUI, click "Settings", then click "Firewall". Under here, you should see an option called "Application rules". Click this and then add a rule for iTunes and see if that helps.

• Well, try this. Narrow down exactly what part of Bitdefender is causing the blockage. For example, turn off the Firewall, and see if that allows video streaming to your Apple TV.

If it is indeed the Firewall, there are some things you can do. For example, add a rule for iTunes in the Firewall's settings. To do this, open the Bitdefender GUI, click "Settings", then click "Firewall". Under here, you should see an option called "Application rules". Click this and then add a rule for iTunes and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply! However, I can't find the Firewall settings. When I click "Settings", I get five submenus: General, Antivirus, Privacy Control, Update, and Wallet. These have further submenus and options, but nothing called "Firewall".

• Thanks for the reply! However, I can't find the Firewall settings. When I click "Settings", I get five submenus: General, Antivirus, Privacy Control, Update, and Wallet. These have further submenus and options, but nothing called "Firewall".

... and that is, as I just found out, because Antivirus Plus apparently has no Firewall. So it can't be that.

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! However, I can't find the Firewall settings. When I click "Settings", I get five submenus: General, Antivirus, Privacy Control, Update, and Wallet. These have further submenus and options, but nothing called "Firewall".

Oh, duh. I'm such an idiot. :rolleyes:

I totally forgot you wrote you have Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, not Bitdefender Internet Security (Bitdefender Plus doesn't ship with a Firewall). All right, then the most likely culprit is the "Real-Time Security". With that being said, I'd try adding iTunes to the Exclusions list under the "Antivirus" submenu. Let me know if that works. :)

• Oh, duh. I'm such an idiot. :rolleyes:

I totally forgot you wrote you have Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, not Bitdefender Internet Security (Bitdefender Plus doesn't ship with a Firewall). All right, then the most likely culprit is the "Real-Time Security". With that being said, I'd try adding iTunes to the Exclusions list under the "Antivirus" submenu. Let me know if that works. :)

I can't find anything called "Real-Time Security" either -- unless you mean "On-access scanning" or "Active Virus Control"?

As for your second suggestion, I did go to the Antivirus submenu and added itunes.exe under "Excluded Processes". Is that what you meant? Unfortunately, it didn't help. The problem still persists ...

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    I can't find anything called "Real-Time Security" either -- unless you mean "On-access scanning" or "Active Virus Control"?

As for your second suggestion, I did go to the Antivirus submenu and added itunes.exe under "Excluded Processes". Is that what you meant? Unfortunately, it didn't help. The problem still persists ...

Yes. Again, I must apologize for being ambiguous. "Real-Time Security" is my terminology for Bitdefender's Antivirus Shield. Because that is exactly what the shield is. It provides security in "real time" ( thus the term Real-Time Security).

Anyways, it might not be enough to just add the iTunes executable to the exclusions list. See, modern applications usually utilize tons of different resources. These resources include things like .dll files (which means Dynamic Link Libraries), .dat files (which means Data files), .fat files (which means File Allocation Table), and even other .exe files (executables). So as you can imagine, troubleshooting a specific problem could be tedious if you do it one file at a time. That's why Bitdefender gives you the option to add entire folders. If you feel comfortable adding the entire iTunes folder to the exclusions list, I'd say that would most likely solve your problem. :)

Here, I made some screenshots of the process:

1. BitdefenderMenuPB.png

2. BitdefenderMenuAntV.png

3. Click "Excluded Files and Folders" BitdefenderExclusionsOn.png

4. Add the iTunes Folder BitdefenderAddExtensions.png

Well, I hope I helped. :)

• Yes. Again, I must apologize for being ambiguous. "Real-Time Security" is my terminology for Bitdefender's Antivirus Shield. Because that is exactly what the shield is. It provides security in "real time" ( thus the term Real-Time Security).

Anyways, it might not be enough to just add the iTunes executable to the exclusions list. See, modern applications usually utilize tons of different resources. These resources include things like .dll files (which means Dynamic Link Libraries), .dat files (which means Data files), .fat files (which means File Allocation Table), and even other .exe files (executables). So as you can imagine, troubleshooting a specific problem could be tedious if you do it one file at a time. That's why Bitdefender gives you the option to add entire folders. If you feel comfortable adding the entire iTunes folder to the exclusions list, I'd say that would most likely solve your problem. :)

Here, I made some screenshots of the process:

1. BitdefenderMenuPB.png

2. BitdefenderMenuAntV.png

3. Click "Excluded Files and Folders" BitdefenderExclusionsOn.png

4. Add the iTunes Folder BitdefenderAddExtensions.png

Well, I hope I helped. :)

Thanks again, I excluded the entire iTunes folder and also tried disabling the virus scan like you said, but no, none of that helped either. The problem still persists.

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Thanks again, I excluded the entire iTunes folder and also tried disabling the virus scan like you said, but no, none of that helped either. The problem still persists.

May I make one more suggestion? I have been puzzling over the problem, and I for one haven't found a solution (at least on my computer). See everyone's computer is different. And I am not a developer of this product. But the developers of this product themselves could probably help you find a solution better than I could. :)

If you don't think it will be too much trouble, could you open an email ticket with customer support? You can find the links for support options here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

Don't forget, if you do indeed reach a solution, could you post what your fix was here? That way, others can know what to do if they ever run into a similar situation. B)

I would still check back here occasionally though. You never might know who else may post a solution.

Thank you, and I hope you get your problem solved. :)

• May I make one more suggestion? I have been puzzling over the problem, and I for one haven't found a solution (at least on my computer). See everyone's computer is different. And I am not a developer of this product. But the developers of this product themselves could probably help you find a solution better than I could. :)

If you don't think it will be too much trouble, could you open an email ticket with customer support? You can find the links for support options here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/consumer.html

Don't forget, if you do indeed reach a solution, could you post what your fix was here? That way, others can know what to do if they ever run into a similar situation. B)

I would still check back here occasionally though. You never might know who else may post a solution.

Thank you, and I hope you get your problem solved. :)

Thanks, I already did that a while ago and received a reply with suggestions that didn't help. Currently waiting for more suggestions from them.

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Thanks, I already did that a while ago and received a reply with suggestions that didn't help. Currently waiting for more suggestions from them.

Yeah, iTunes is a tricky beast. I personally stopped going with them a while back, but I can understand why you'd want it. It sure is a convenient way to get music. :)

Anyways, I can't figure out why you'd get a timeout error. Without a Firewall monitoring your ports, your computer should be wide open for streaming. Hey, do you got other streaming applications like Intel WiDi? If other video streaming applications are affected the same way, then that would narrow down the problem even more. Is it just iTunes that's having these streaming problems?