Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Not Working After Windows Updates

Options
Sunyata2
edited February 2014 in Antivirus

Yesterday, I received notification from my bitdefender anti-virus program that I needed to install essential Windows updates, which I did (directly through Bitdefender). My Bitdefender has not been working properly ever since.

Now, when I restart my computer, there's a yellow exclamation point in the Bitdefender icon, and it says my autoscan has been disabled and my computer is at risk. I have to manually enable it every single time.

Also, when I go to run a manual virus scan, it won't let me. I click on "Scan Now," and it goes to my events menu instead. This happens every single time.

Also, computer is running much slower.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix all this without having to reinstall? I am worried I have some kind of virus that is preventing the Bitdefender from working.

Thanks.

64 bit operating system

Windows 7

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Sunyata, and welcome :)

I take it you ran the Vulnerability Scan to see if things were up to date, is this correct? Chances are it was just an Windows Install update through Bitdefender that may have caused a glitch (the coincidence of all was fine, then an update, makes me think that).

Please try running a repair (restart your PC and do an update), and see if things clear up for you. You can then run a scan to confirm that concern. Here are 2 repair links, one being the video version (2nd link):

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35489

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-...ender-1087.html

I personally, tend to check and install Microsoft Updates myself as I have it set to download and notify me, just so I can get a glance of what the updates include. It is recommend to automatically install them, yet if you see Bitdefender has a Microsoft Update, just run a Microsoft Update manually, to confirm if there is one; All Programs/Windows Update (I created a Desktop Shortcut just to make it quicker). The reason I do this, is sometimes Bitdefender isn't in sync with whats out there, and what's installed (image below). I run the Vulnerability scan more for information, than anything else ^_^

VulScan_zps72c4f8ca.jpg

If you need any follow up help, please post back.

Kind regards,

Scott

• I agree with Scott i install through MS direct to avoid any problems,but just to add i did all my updates yesterday no issues.

• columbo
    Options

Thanks for your input, daman1, as my updates via the normal update path (from Microsoft Update) went without a glitch, too.

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

The New Bitdefender Internet Security (2014)

• Sunyata2
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Columbo (and Daman1), and thanks for your reply. Yes, it was the vulnerability scan that said I needed critical Windows updates. I thought that was odd, as I had just been prompted by Windows itself to install updates just a day or two ago (which I did). But, I did it again through Bitdefender anyway, since they said my computer was at risk. I guess that was my mistake.

Thanks for letting me know that Bitdefender isn't always in sync with what the latest updates are. That screen shot was helpful. From now on, I will update only when prompted by Windows itself.

I did the repair and all seems to be working now. Was able to run a scan and Autoscan is working properly now too. Thanks so much!

• i always install updates with microsoft directly.... did one time with bitdefender and the update was installed 2 times in update history

• columbo
    columbo
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Sunyata, glad to hear all is well and functioning properly and that we were able to help you :) It was a good and informative post you followed up with, let alone the others who chimed in is good confirmation of our updating directly from Microsoft, to avoid any possible glitches, or double installs.

edit: @roberto55, great avatar :D

• Hi Sunyata, glad to hear all is well and functioning properly and that we were able to help you :) It was a good and informative post you followed up with, let alone the others who chimed in is good confirmation of our updating directly from Microsoft, to avoid any possible glitches, or double installs.

edit: @roberto55, great avatar :D

Lol yea ... that monkey face is unusual

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options

Windows Essentials is a group of MS programs, Microsoft Security Essentials is an anti-virus up to and including Win 7, with Win 8 they changed the name of their AV to Windows Defender.

MSE is one of the AVs removed by BD during the install.