Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Homepage = About:blank

Options

Its happening again!!

Why cant Bit defender? Seriously we pay money to lose our home pages? This has been a problem for YEARS. I will not be renewing again unless this crap is fixed.

Now here is my info:

Win 7 Home premium 64-bit

IE 11

BitDefender Antivirus Plus

Comments

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

The home page of your web browser will always reset to about:blank after a an infected file is found. This is how the disinfection routine works for web browsers infections.

However, if you can't reset your browser home page, we need some detailed logs from your system.

Please let us know if this is the case.

• Rampant
    Options

What to do, what would bitdefender did not clear the home page?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options
    @ Rampant: I do not understand your question. Please rephrase it.
  • Rampant
    Options

When scanning, bitdefender detects and removes cookies, it automatically cleans homepage, amends the folder settings, as to avoid?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Rampant,

I am afraid I don't understand your English. Are you using a translation program? If you are, please try asking someone who speaks English to write the question for you.

Otherwise I am afraid I can't help. On the forums we offer support only in English, French, Spanish, German and Romanian.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Ok, so it is Bitdefender that seems to change also my homepage to blank. I was wondering what the reason was.

Do you mean that BD changes the page efter every scan or just after cleaning an infection?

• Hello.

I have been a BitDefender user for many years.

Up until about a year ago (August 2013) I had absolutely no problems

with the BitDefender products.

About a year ago, all ###### seemed to have broken loose.

Anyway, about the about:blank.

I have tried the Bitdefender 'Tool' and directions for resetting it and it does not work!

The only way I have found to (temporarily) get rid of this is the following:

1.) Start your PC in Safe Mode.

2.) Run 'Regedit'.

3.) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

4.) Change the value of 'Start Page' from about:blank to your 'Home Page' (Mine is www.google.com)

5.) Do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

6.) Reboot the PC.

Note that you cannot do this is 'normal' mode, you will get an exception:

'Cannot edit Start Page: Error writing the values new contents,'.

This of course works until the next time someone tries to Hijack your browser (about once a week for me).

So the question I am putting forth is not answered by Gorgia's response 'This is how it works...'.

I know how it works. the problem is the way you (Bitdefender) choose to handle it is a very bad implementation.

When you change the ownership on the registry key you do in fact prevent someone from Hijacking my browser but

you also prevent me from changing my home page back (via Internet Explorer or by directly editing the registry

in normal mode). Therefore I am required to reboot into safe mode to make the change.

Goergia, Perhaps you should speak with your programming team. Have them put the Home Page setting into the BitDefender

interface (Since you are security experts I am sure you can do this in a safe fashion). That way at least a user can change

his/her home page when you 'disinfecting' a Hijacker.

Bitdefender Total Security 2014.

Windows 8.1 Pro.