Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Rescue Programs Files Are All Read Only

Options
Connie2u
edited February 2022 in The Archive

All the files I finally figured out how to get off the hard drive of my friends computer since windows won't boot and my windows xp installation doesn't work are all read only. I can't acccess them to send to my external hard drive. Can't send them to an email recepient because I don't know what to put for the defauult email. Anyone know what to do to save these files. Thanks in advance

Comments

• All the files I finally figured out how to get off the hard drive of my friends computer since windows won't boot and my windows xp installation doesn't work are all read only. I can't acccess them to send to my external hard drive. Can't send them to an email recepient because I don't know what to put for the defauult email. Anyone know what to do to save these files. Thanks in advance

A few questions:

Are you trying to copy some files (off a windows partition that won't boot into windows) to an external drive ?

Are you trying to do this from rescue mode ? Or after booting into another windows ?

Are the normal documents in your drive read-only ? Or just the rescue mode program files (the ones in c:\bdr-... or the ones in \program files\...\bitdefender threat scanner\bdrescue ?)

Even if the files you are trying to copy are read-only you should still be able to copy them, unless the destination partition is also read-only. If this is so, and you are trying to do this from rescue mode, try opening a terminal and running "sudo fluff". Fluff is the name of the file explorer from rescue mode. Otherwise maybe the destination partition is also mounted read only (in recovery mode).

Hope this helps, otherwise let us know how we can help,

Bogdan

• A few questions:

Are you trying to copy some files (off a windows partition that won't boot into windows) to an external drive ?

Are you trying to do this from rescue mode ? Or after booting into another windows ?

Are the normal documents in your drive read-only ? Or just the rescue mode program files (the ones in c:\bdr-... or the ones in \program files\...\bitdefender threat scanner\bdrescue ?)

Even if the files you are trying to copy are read-only you should still be able to copy them, unless the destination partition is also read-only. If this is so, and you are trying to do this from rescue mode, try opening a terminal and running "sudo fluff". Fluff is the name of the file explorer from rescue mode. Otherwise maybe the destination partition is also mounted read only (in recovery mode).

Hope this helps, otherwise let us know how we can help,

Bogdan

• I am trying to save to external hard drive, but it only lets me save to bitdefender and thats where they already are saved. I don't understand the fluff thing, if windows wont boot even in the save mode How do I get to the fluff thing? I appreciate your help but I cant get anything conpleted. I do not have my external hard drive as read only either. I use it for a back up of my computer. This computer belongs to a friend. Its not mine and I dont know what she did just before this happened. but the installation diwsk after saying windows is starting goes to the blue screen oxoooooo50 page default in non paged area. Does this mean my ram is damaged? Do you think I could take out two sticks (there is 4) and see if that helps. Of course out of 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 sticks.

• also I tried sending in email but I have to upgrade my firefox browser, and since that is a windows file I cant open the exe. file needed to upgrade, so that is out. Windows won't boot at all just goes to a black screen with a curser. Don't know what to type...if anything