Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Task Manager Replacement Mode In Process Explorer

Options

I'm running the 30 day trial of Antivirus (1st time Bitdefender user) on Win 7 Pro 64-bit. I've had ProcExp running as my task manager replacement for quite a few years, but Bitdefender just turned task manager replacement mode off and won't let me turn it back on: I get an "access denied" error. I've tried adding a folder exclusion for the sysinternals folder as well as process exclusions for procexp.exe and %TEMP%\procexp64.exe; but to no avail.

Is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi joerg, and welcome

I have the same set up as you, Win 7-64-bit running BD AV+. I am a fan of Process Explorer, but never have had it set to run on start up. I did the steps to accomplish this, and have now rebooted 3 times without a hitch from BD, as Process Explorer started every time in the Taskbar, running.

If you have AVC (Settings/AV) set to Aggressive, this can cause issues at times. Try turning it off and restarting your PC, and see what happens.

Otherwise, delete the P.E. shortcut from the start up folder, restart your PC, and go through the process of creating the start up for P.E. and see what happens.

3rd option, delete the P.E. short cut (auto start up), run a BD repair (same for the 2014 versions), and try enabling P.E. and see what you come up with. Just a side note, if you had a previous AV installed, and all remnants were not removed (i.e. removal tools and personal 2nd looking), can cause BD to act a little glitchy. If you had a previous AV installed, and want to make sure of a clean BD install, we can go through that together.

Kind regards,

Scott

edit:sp

• columbo
    Options
    Hi joerg, and welcome

I have the same set up as you, Win 7-64-bit running BD AV+. I am a fan of Process Explorer, but never have had it set to run on start up. I did the steps to accomplish this, and have now rebooted 3 times without a hitch from BD, as Process Explorer started every time in the Taskbar, running.

Edit for clarification: in the Taskbar, and System Tray.

PE_zpse705b6f2.png

• Rebooting did the trick, thank you Scott. I considered this a small config change, but obviously Bitdefender sees it differently. Btw., I don't use "Run At Logon" (have yet to find a case where this would be useful), just "Replace Task Manager".

• columbo
    Options

Thanks for your reply joerg, glad it was resolved with a reboot. If you would care to PM me in how (maybe a link) to set "Replace Task Manager", would be appreciated. I'll leave that up to you.

:)