Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Latest Bitdefender Rescue Cd Fails To Mount Windows Partition

Options
santrix
edited February 2022 in The Archive

Hi,

Regarding bitdefender-rescue-cd.iso obtained today.

I am carrying out a review of various bootable AV products. BD refuses to mount the Windows partitions on our text machine. It's a vanilla windows 7 installation using legacy bios boot (no UEFI). I was able to mount the device manually from the terminal, but this defeats the whole object of the review. The test machine is just a basic mini-itx gigabyte based machine with a single 64Gb SSD attached. We are booting using a USB drive containing just the ISO from your website. I really can't imagine what the issue is.

Oddly, when booting a VirtualBox Win7 installation using the ISO as the CD drive, then it DOES see the Windows partition and mount it automatically to the desktop.

We have tested 5 other products so far and none suffer this problem on the same hardware. Any clues?

Comments

• csalgau
    Options

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Unfortunately our idea of your situation is quite sketchy. We currently believe this is a timing issue related to when your drives are enumerated in udev(7).

I'd like to ask you, if possible, to please mention the motherboard model and harddrive/RAID controller model/chipset to which your drive is attached.

We'll try to address this in a future release of the Rescue CD.

In the meantime, you should be able to proceed without major issues after manually mounting your partitions.

• I'd like to ask you, if possible, to please mention the motherboard model and harddrive/RAID controller model/chipset to which your drive is attached.

We'll try to address this in a future release of the Rescue CD.

In the meantime, you should be able to proceed without major issues after manually mounting your partitions.

Thank for replying - MB is a GigaByte GA-1037UN using Intel NM70 i/o chipset. We wiped the SSD and reinstalled windows as the only OS on the drive and now it works fine. I must apologise, as looking more closely at the usb stick I installed windows from, it was a UEFI setup, and as the mobo is dual BIOS, I suspect the disk was GPT... Would this explain the problem I found? Only saw this after wiping the disk and starting again so can't tell now if that was the original problem. Thanks for you help.

• csalgau
    Options

Thank you for investigating.

The Rescue CD branch currently published has not been targeted or tested on EFI configurations, but we know of several issues.

An EFI and GPT compatible (in the loose sense) release is still undergoing testing and will be published when feasible.

Have a nice day!