Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Lost Setting / Setting Not Saving

Options

Hi everyone,

I'm using the private internet access VPN service, and having problems in that the VPN connection will fail if left for any period of time. I've been in contact with their help desk, and have submitted error logs which suggest that some of the .exe's are being blocked by the bitdefender (I have total security) firewall.

I've had the advice of adding trusted zones IPs, I've added virus scan exclusions to the folder/files, I've added exceptions in the firewall for every .exe and I've added folder path exceptions in the hope of allowing everything, I've also added the whole appdata\temp folder as their program unpacks there.

still having problems:

When I first started trying to add the zones, after a reboot, all zones I added had been lost. Also, after setting the TAP adapter which is the VPN's installed adapter, to Trusted, stealth mode off and generic=yes, the settings were lost.

After a few more times, the adapter settings and zone IPs have now been saved, but internet sharing = yes and block port scans=no will not save at all, there's no way of keeping the settings.

Additionally, a few months ago I set game mode to on, and gave it the address to a game .exe and it would switch between the modes when i opened the game - after checking last night, game mode is off, and the rule has been deleted.

perhaps most importantly, everytime i open bitdefender, it's in autopilot, then switches over to user mode after a couple of seconds - could it be possible everytime the application is minimised it switches over to autopilot and loses all the settings that have been adjusted?

Every night now I've been changing bitdefender settings, uninstalling and re installing the PIA VPN client, adding scan exclusions, folder exclusions, adding allow exceptions through the firewall, then in the morning, after the connection has failed, i email the error log to the PIA support team. They then tell me what has been blocked - there's no logic to it, it seems to do it's own thing, which is what i'd imagine it would do if i turned it from user mode to autopilot?

So the long and short of it, there are a lot of posts on the forum with this issue, yet no definitive advice other than upgrading to the latest version, but people have had this issue sine 2011 and I have the latest version. would a complete reinstallation or repair be a step to consider yet?

If so, I have so many exceptions and firewall rules, i'd really like to save them somehow - last time upgrading from 2013 i lost everything and it took a day to put them all back!!

does the fact it doesn't seem to save sometimes suggest a damaged install/xml file?

regards,

Comments

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the Bitdefender forums, carb1de!

Please post the ticket ID received when contacting Bitdefender Technical Support, to check your case.

Thank you very much, looking forward to hearing from you.

• Welcome to the Bitdefender forums, carb1de!

Please post the ticket ID received when contacting Bitdefender Technical Support, to check your case.

Thank you very much, looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Georgia, thank you for the reply!

my ticket ID is:

Carb1de

• Hi Georgia,

I was wondering if you'd had a chance to look at ticket number 2014030409360001 at all?

I've just emailed and had a reply from PIA VPN that advise that the error log I sent them this morning shows that the files I've put exceptions in the firewall for have been blocked again.

I have 3 licences with over 200 days remaining so it would be a shame, but i can't keep this software if it's going to fight my decisions and reset my options all the time!

I would uninstall it and test the VPN to rule it out, but I have so many exceptions it would be almost a days work to add them again!!

Would the technical dept. have a process to export exceptions to a text/xml etc. so as they can be added again to a fresh install?

• Hi carb1de. I may have missed this but have you tried to isolate the issue first by disabling the BD firewall and see if the connection works for you? smile2.png

Hi Jimmy, I also had the same advice from the support dept. yesterday.

The specific advice was to manually disable every option in each component, then disable every component, to rule out bitdefender as the culprit.

Strangely, after a reboot (specifically instructed) the firewall turned itself on, and reselected 'Block Port Scans' = ON

Which, I suppose comes round to my initial concern, that 'auto pilot' is taking control away from 'use mode' and changing to settings it believes are optimal?!

I have the bitdefender window open, with all the settings back to disabled, and my VPN connected, just waiting for the connection drop. Seems odd you have to run your pc with no internet security, and manually fault find by process of elimination, I was hoping support would ask me to export an error log, and would be proactive into resolving the issue, if not to fix my VPN connection but to get to the bottom of why the program seems to do its own thing!

Until then, i can only wait...

• Nesivos
    Options
    Hi Jimmy, I also had the same advice from the support dept. yesterday.

The specific advice was to manually disable every option in each component, then disable every component, to rule out bitdefender as the culprit.

Strangely, after a reboot (specifically instructed) the firewall turned itself on, and reselected 'Block Port Scans' = ON

Which, I suppose comes round to my initial concern, that 'auto pilot' is taking control away from 'use mode' and changing to settings it believes are optimal?!

I have the bitdefender window open, with all the settings back to disabled, and my VPN connected, just waiting for the connection drop. Seems odd you have to run your pc with no internet security, and manually fault find by process of elimination, I was hoping support would ask me to export an error log, and would be proactive into resolving the issue, if not to fix my VPN connection but to get to the bottom of why the program seems to do its own thing!

Until then, i can only wait...

This may not be relevant but does your VPN use a static or dynamic IP addresses?