Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Win 8.1 System Image Backup Fails

Options

I am certain that this is a well known serious problem, but I have been unable to find the fix.

Whenever I try to do a Windows (8.1) System Image Backup with Bitdefender Total Security installed, it proceeds normally until the end

when an error message is displayed:

"There was a failure while compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location (0x80780151) ... The process cannot access the file

because it is being used by another process (0x80070020)"

This happens despite turning Active Virus Control and Real Time Protection OFF and booting in Safe Mode (System Image Backup is

disabled).

I've tried for days to get the fix from Bitdefender support - by phone and e-mail - with nothing but wasted time and frustration to show for

it. Wrong information, unanswered e-mails, and so on. The advice I received from Microsoft was to uninstall Bitdefender every time I wanted

to do a backup and then reinstall.

A reasonable solution posted here would likely help many people besides myself.

Thanks.

Comments

• Nesivos
    Options
    I am certain that this is a well known serious problem, but I have been unable to find the fix.

Whenever I try to do a Windows (8.1) System Image Backup with Bitdefender Total Security installed, it proceeds normally until the end

when an error message is displayed:

"There was a failure while compacting the virtual hard disk on the backup location (0x80780151) ... The process cannot access the file

because it is being used by another process (0x80070020)"

This happens despite turning Active Virus Control and Real Time Protection OFF and booting in Safe Mode (System Image Backup is

disabled).

I've tried for days to get the fix from Bitdefender support - by phone and e-mail - with nothing but wasted time and frustration to show for

it. Wrong information, unanswered e-mails, and so on. The advice I received from Microsoft was to uninstall Bitdefender every time I wanted

to do a backup and then reinstall.

A reasonable solution posted here would likely help many people besides myself.

Thanks.

Use CCleaner to clean files and registry. Restart Windows and try it again. Do not open any applications including Windows Explorer after restarting Windows and before running image backup again. I got the same message with W8.1 Updated and BD W8 Security. What I am suggesting worked for me.

• CCleaner didn't work for me. Thank you though for taking the time to try to help, unlike Bitdefender "Support."

Here is more description of the problem for others who must be experiencing the same problem - if they are trying to use Windows 8.1

System Image Backup:

"There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the valumes in the backup set. (0x807800C5)

Additional Information:

The process cannot access he file because it is being used by another process. (0x80070020)"

Both Volume Shadow Copy and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider services were set to MANUAL and were running after the error,

and therefore presumably when the error occurred.

These services, as I understand it, are supposed to eliminate errors due to "files ... being used by another process."

Could someone knowledgeable please help us out.

• Nesivos' recommendation worked!

I think initially I must not have followed his direction to

"not open any applications including Windows Explorer after restarting Windows and before running image backup again"

After rereading his post this evening I tried again being even more careful to precisely follow the instructions given.

The Windows 8.1 Update Image Backup ended successfully, as did the image restore done in Safe Mode. I additionally confirmed

that the restored data reflected the backup and not the latest.

Thank you again Nesivos.

This discussion has been closed.