Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Anti-theft Option - Location Shown Wrong On The Map

Options

Ive been using Bit Defender for a while but never really used the extra options.

I looked today in the Dashboard and saw "Anti-Theft", I realised you can specify your location on a map and

then I presume if your PC is stolen or is used from a different location there is some kind of notification ?

How would recieve this info if the PC you normally recieve the info on is stolen ?

Anyway that isnt the problem, the problem is the when I pressed "Locate" my PC is shown as being in

a completely different location then it actually is.

The first thing I checked was my own profile and the info in there is correct,

so why is the Locate option not picking up right locale?

Firstly How do i change this and secondly should I be at all worried about this wrong location I mean

does it mean someone has cloned my ID at all ?

thanks

Comments

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Options

The location depends on whether you are using it from your home router, then it is going to show the location where that router is connected to, or if you are using GPS and local cellnet connections it will be accurate (generally to within a few meters).

My laptop running from the home router via wifi shows some few Kilometers away fro here, my tablet and mobile show within a few meters of their location.

• cerveau32
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The location depends on whether you are using it from your home router, then it is going to show the location where that router is connected to, or if you are using GPS and local cellnet connections it will be accurate (generally to within a few meters).

My laptop running from the home router via wifi shows some few Kilometers away fro here, my tablet and mobile show within a few meters of their location.

Its a desktop using a permanent wired connection to my router so it never moves, ever.

yet the location is completely wrong by miles and miles not just a few kilometers, it shows a completely different address on the map.

• Rohugh
    Rohugh ✭✭
    Options

Location services rely on either cell towers or GPS and needs at least three to triangulate the position so sorry, you are not going to get accuracy with it being wired. I have just tried my desktop (not laptop) which is also wired to the router and that is wildly off.

The location is designed for devices that rely on cell/gps info.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options

@ cerveau

You are posting in an area for Bitdefender 2013. However, upon checking your Bitdefender account I could see that you have 2 Bitdefender products: Bitdefender 2013 and the new Bitdefender (2014) edition. Please tell me which product is currently installed on the PC you are unable to locate through Antitheft ?

• cerveau32
    edited June 2014
    Options

@ cerveau

You are posting in an area for Bitdefender 2013. However, upon checking your Bitdefender account I could see that you have 2 Bitdefender products: Bitdefender 2013 and the new Bitdefender (2014) edition. Please tell me which product is currently installed on the PC you are unable to locate through Antitheft ?

Hmm that is interesting because I only have Bit Defender Total Security 2013.

I dont recall buying 2014 and I have just resubbed this week for another year of 2013.

[EDIT] having just checked my Products it seems when I resubbed it says Bitdefender 2014, still I have 2013 installed

I dont see how this is related to the location error.

My PC is shown as being at a different address over 15 miles away. I dont think its to do with Cell coverage. the address it shows is someone else's house, ie not in a field, or where a cell tower

would be, but in the middle of a street.

How is cell phone location services affecting this anyway i fail to see it ??

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello cerveau,

Thank you for your response.

By renewing Bitdefender you receive a license key for the latest product available on the market, as we do not issue any more old Bitdefender license keys.

We recommend first upgrading to the new Bitdefender and then check if the geo-locate feature works properly. You can find here the necessary steps:

[How to upgrade to the new Bitdefender]

Part 1: To make sure that there won't be any other glitches with the new installation you will first need to remove the current version using this uninstall tool:

http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...installTool.exe

- access the link and when the window with the Bitdefender file appears, please choose the 'Save' option

- save (download) the tool on the PC first

- right-click on it and from the menu choose 'Run as Administrator' or double click on it to run it for Windows XP

- click on 'Uninstall', then restart the computer when prompted.

Note: this process may take a few minutes to complete.

Part 2: Download the latest Bitdefender kit available on our website:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/...nstaller/ts.exe

Save it on your PC then run it to begin the installation.

Part 3: At the end of the installation process click on 'Get Started' green button to configure the product.

Your license key should be automatically detected. If not, please use your current Bitdefender key to register it. More information on how to install and register Bitdefender is available in this article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/Install...oduct-1149.html

Let us know how is everything going. We are here for you should you require further assistance.

• cerveau32
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks for the info.

I used the Renew link in the email I received, nowhere does it mention 2014...

So obviously I continued to use the product that's installed on my PC, which is 2013.

As for the Anti-Theft option in the dashboard if this really is for Mobile Devices, then it should

give an indication on the screen!!!

It does not say anywhere that this only works with mobile devices and further it shouldnt even

show a wired desktop IF the intention is just for use with mobiles.

• cerveau32
    edited June 2014
    Options

So I uninstalled 2013 and installed 2014 and I also read the blurb about Anti Theft and

it is supposed to cover Desktop PCs.

So its still showing the wrong location.....

And please explain how this works because a desktop PC isnt going to be locatable by cell towers is it.

if indeed this is how it works as has been suggested.

I guess you could just read my account profile, get the address and manually point it to the right location

but then that would make the whole thing useless for desktops....