Do I Need Malwarebytes Anti-exploit Program

I am totally confused about the claims of a recent Malwarebytes email sales promotion. received today. :unsure:

Malwarebytes has been one of my essential tools for many years in its passive form, to scan downloads and (on very rare occasions) locate and extinguish malware.

I am not against Malwarebytes, it is an excellent tool along with google's online VirusTotal

But now the Malwarebytes sales spiel is implying my AV (Bitdefender Internet Security) is not good enough to protect my PC from "invasion".

If that is the case what is the point of having AV.

Granted, MB free version does nothing for Malwarebytes financial survival ... but I cannot help but feel very suspicious of Malwarebytes push for sales.

(Or maybe MB should be charging for MB instead of making it free ... topic for another place and time B) )

Any decent AV is going to use resources and affect PC performance while the AV does its job.

Now MB are pushing to use proactive MB ... more system resources being swallowed up by non productive monitoring.

I have 4 stand alone AutoCad rigs (AC uses a lot of resources), no web connections, all without AV, one is a 2003 dinosaur ... and they are all lightning fast, not bogged down with AV monitoring, and still clean after several years of daily use.

A different story with my web connected PCs/laptops .. I wouldn't dream of no AV.

For years I accepted what my PC tech told me (ie, what he was selling and financially gaining from)

In my experience, AV that does not use resources is not doing its job. I have been caught with mediocre AVs in the past.

Choosing "Bitdefender Anti Virus" was the result of a lot of research and trialling various AVs over many months.

Now MB are implying my AV is not good enough. BD has been brilliant at trapping the odd invaders, so far cookies, and I can live with the false positives.

But how essential is it that I install proactive anti-malware ?

No point in asking MB because that is what they are selling !

A totally confused cynic ! :blink: and :ph34r:

Comments