[submitted to developers] Steam Client Triggers Game Profile

Comments

• Rohugh:

Thanks for your response. No I have not disabled my protection (BD 2015 TS, Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium). As I indicated, I have a main tower computer and a

laptop. Both computers have the same security solutions. On the tower, BD is in Standard Profile unless a listed "game" program is executed. On the laptop, most of the time it is in Game Mode for no apparent

reason. It could be the "architecture" of the DELL laptop or some other weird incompatibility. Every computer is unique.

If it bugs me enough and doesn't resolve itself in the next couple of builds, I will open a ticket. I have recently had some issues with some programs and I am worn out for a few weeks. All of the logs and such that

they request can take a lot of time.

Thanks again, Rohugh. Have a great weekend.

Regards,

-Phil

• This program runs like "Iwanttoruningamemodesoidoit". For some reason my bitdefender antivirus plus 2015 is running in game mode from this week. I don´t know why, it just happenned.

• I have seen problems with profiles enabling when I don't want them to so now I have profiles enabled but "Let autopilot manage my profiles" turned off. The only time I need to use them is if I play a game, then I will manually enable the game profile. Bit of a pain when it should do it automatically but saves further aggravation.

• I have seen problems with profiles enabling when I don't want them to so now I have profiles enabled but "Let autopilot manage my profiles" turned off. The only time I need to use them is if I play a game, then I will manually enable the game profile. Bit of a pain when it should do it automatically but saves further aggravation.

Of course I do it manually. It is just....BD is trying to be too clever. Is there a possibility to create our own app. list in profiles? Yes. But I am much more better, I can do it myself, no matter if you want it or not :-p.

• Unfortunately there is already a default list list the profiles that we are not able to access or alter in any way. I would rather that the default list could be accessed so that we could set up our own list, removing the ones that we don't need. It has been mentioned by Bitdefender that they will look into this.

• Same issue for me. On a brand new 8.1 laptop with nothing else installed apart from BitDefender Total security 2015, Autopilot switches randomly to Gaming mode and disables Windows Autoupdate. With Autopilot off, everything seems to be fine. So, for now, I will leave it turned off and disable the Profile function.

BD is a good product and I have used it for a long time but this bug seems so obvious and basic that I am starting to be tempted to switch to Kaspersky. The bug kind of indicates that BD have not done their pre-launch testing properly. A response from BD would go a long way to helping with this

• Hello,

Excluding apps from the Profile list is not available but I have forwarded this request to our product manager.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Hi, any update on this feature request?

Thanks

• Like the Steam client, the Origin game client also triggers game mode, thereby diminishing Windows security 24/7.

I'm new to BD and I must say I am concerned that this obvious oversight (which makes me wonder if the devs even use their own product) occurs in the vital parts of BD.

I would also be concerned that BD is drifting away from their specialty--security--and into all-in-one bloatware that has absolutely nothing to do with security, lest BD be confused with IObit, et. al.

• We inform you that the fix for this issue will be released in a couple of hours, via Bitdefender signature updates. Please make sure that the Bitdefender product updates daily, and in order to do this open Bitdefender and click Update.

Steam client will no longer trigger Game Profile in Bitdefender.

• We inform you that the fix for this issue will be released in a couple of hours, via Bitdefender signature updates. Please make sure that the Bitdefender product updates daily, and in order to do this open Bitdefender and click Update.

The Origin client still does trigger the game profile.

Umm...NOT solved; my Steam client still puts BD in game profile. I've updated and reboot several times in the past 3 days.

• Like the Steam client, the Origin game client also triggers game mode, thereby diminishing Windows security 24/7.

I'm new to BD and I must say I am concerned that this obvious oversight (which makes me wonder if the devs even use their own product) occurs in the vital parts of BD.

I would also be concerned that BD is drifting away from their specialty--security--and into all-in-one bloatware that has absolutely nothing to do with security, lest BD be confused with IObit, et. al.

Nope, XFire is still in Game mode. Battle.net as well...still waiting for some White list.

• The Game profile in BD 2015 disables the Windows auto update function among other changes.

[...]

I was trying to figure out why Windows Update kept getting disabled for a month pulling my hair out over the issue before I locked the setting via Local Security Policy. Now I know what was going on.

This bug seriously needs fixed. I wonder how many people have security issues due to no Windows Security Updates thanks to this bug. Automatically enabling game mode should happen less often then it should rather than too often. If it happens less often then it should not a big deal but if it is enabled too often it is a security concern.

Why hasn't this been fixed yet? Remove a few triggers for Game Mode via bitdefender update and call it a day already!

• Nope, XFire is still in Game mode. Battle.net as well...still waiting for some White list.

Steam is still triggering Game mode for me, even when running in the background.

Please let us know as soon as this is fixed.

• 6 months and still not fixed--it makes me wonder just how much they bit off more than they could chew (heh, "bit")...

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

The signature update released back in December should have removed by now Steam from the list of apps that trigger Game Profile.

Let me check again with our testing team. I will post back new information as soon as I hear from them.

• Also "Fraps" is included by default in the Game profile which shouldn't be. Please try and fix this and to prevent future problems you should add an option to exclude applications from profiles which will make this process much easier and efficient.

• I can confirm that Steam and Origin is still triggering Game Profile on Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

Hello,

Please update Bitdefender to solve this.

If Steam still triggers Bitdefender Game Profile afterwards, check if you have any running gaming/video card software or game managing systems, besides Steam/Battlenet/Origin.

Thank you, we are looking forward to your results!

• Hello,

If Steam still triggers Bitdefender Game Profile afterwards, check if you have any running gaming/video card software or game managing systems, besides Steam/Battlenet/Origin.

Now my PC is on game mode all the time. Is there a way for me to submit my systeminfo for you guys to troubleshoot what is triggering game mode?

• Hi, eD1s0n

Here are a couple of options to generate a Support Tool File for BD Techs to review:

1) From the one integrated in BD. Open the BD Main UI, at the top the Personal settings icon drop down, Help & Support/Contact Support, and go through the steps.

2) You could also use the stand alone version found here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...og%29-1168.html

Once you have submitted the information, you should be sent a ticket number via email, which you could also post here on this thread, for Georgia to look up on her end if needed.

Also, if wanted (but your ticket number should be enough) you could upload the file to SendSpace, and post the link here, but for privacy sake, lets just do that if Georgia asks for it.

Kind regards,

Scott

• Hi, eD1s0n

Here are a couple of options to generate a Support Tool File for BD Techs to review:

1) From the one integrated in BD. Open the BD Main UI, at the top the Personal settings icon drop down, Help & Support/Contact Support, and go through the steps.

2) You could also use the stand alone version found here: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/what-to...og%29-1168.html

Once you have submitted the information, you should be sent a ticket number via email, which you could also post here on this thread, for Georgia to look up on her end if needed.

Also, if wanted (but your ticket number should be enough) you could upload the file to SendSpace, and post the link here, but for privacy sake, lets just do that if Georgia asks for it.

Kind regards,

Scott

I'll use the built in tool to contact support. Thanks!

• Hello,

Georgia, Bitdefender still goes into game mode for me when I start Steam or Origin. I have no other gaming/video software.

I have build 18.20.0.1429 of Total Security - is that the latest?

• Georgia, Bitdefender still goes into game mode for me when I start Steam or Origin. I have no other gaming/video software.

I have build 18.20.0.1429 of Total Security - is that the latest?

Hiya,

Yes you have the latest version of BD TS. :)

To get round this for now open the GUI>Tool>Profiles and uncheck the "Let autopilot manage my profiles". If you want to use one of the profiles you can do so manually from the drop down on the maim GUI, I never bother with them and just leave it set as Standard.

Ro.

• I'll use the built in tool to contact support. Thanks!

You're welcome :)

When you get your support ticket number, post it here, as Georgia seems to be keeping track of this thread. She may or may not respond, but will see it (as well as the techs that received your log file), and will take it from there.

• Bump, Just updated from 2015 BD and this is making me mad. WHEN WILL YOU FIX IT! OR CAN i DOWNGRADE BACK TO 2014

• Bump, Just updated from 2015 BD and this is making me mad. WHEN WILL YOU FIX IT! OR CAN i DOWNGRADE BACK TO 2014
  • Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hello all,

We have identified the cause of the issue and is currently being worked on for a fix. I will add another post here as soon as I have news from our developers.

• jes0411
    edited March 2015

I think profiles should have an option to exclude programs.

• With xbmc/kodi profile changes to game and it should be movie.

Featured content

bitdefender review banner

Ukrainian Government Websites Defaced in Massive Cyberattack

Hackers took down and defaced several Ukrainian government websites after diplomatic talks between Ukrainian, Russian and US officials reached a dead end on Thursday.

Read more

Top Five Security Tips for iPhone Owners in 2022

‘Less is more applies’ perfectly to exploits targeting iOS. They are rare, but can inflict major damage..

Read more

Critical Vulnerability in 3 WordPress Plugins Impacts 84,000 Websites

“Security experts last week disclosed a critical WordPress plugin vulnerability affecting over 84,000 websites"

Read more