Wireless Printing

I've just installed a new Canon Pixma printer via wireless. Predictably, the firewall blocks traffic to it so it will not print. I can create a rule to allow traffic to the ip address of the printer and it works fine, but after a restart the rule disappears. Additionally, as my network used DHCP, the ip addressed of the devices (and printer change) depending on the order they access the router.

How do I overcome these two issues?

Thanks

David

Comments

• Found this at a guide somewhere. Make sure that your wireless adapter is on a trusted zone. 1.gif

To add a trusted zone:

Open the Bitdefender window.

Click the Settings button on the upper toolbar..

In the Settings Overview window, select Firewall.

In the Firewall Settings window, select the Settings tab.

Under Firewall Rules, click Adapter Rules.

To add a zone, click the corresponding button. A new window displaying the IP addresses of the devices connected to the network will appear.

Select the IP address of the computer or the printer you want to add, or type an address or address range in the provided text box.

Go to Permission and select Allow.

• Hello David,

We recommend you to make sure that the Firewall settings are allowing the PC communication with the printer, as follows:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/i-canno...-2015-1300.html

Let us know how is everything going.

• Hello David,

We recommend you to make sure that the Firewall settings are allowing the PC communication with the printer, as follows:

I Have Total Security. Not sure if that is the same as the link you list. I can find the firewall settings, but not the protection module. I can access the adaptor rules section and manually add ip addresses but I cannot find the module that allows me to add the printer as a device. As I have dynamic ip addressing, I have to manually add the ip addresses on an occasional basis. What step am I missing?

• Anybody? :wacko:

• Hello David,

This maybe fine and dandy, BUT... WHen I go to Protection\Firewall\Adapters I have NO ADAPTERS SHOWING!

There is an ongoing Ticket (2014090621140001) with Bitdefender since 9/6/2014 trying to help in resolving this issue. I have done everything that support has asked: Screen Shot, sysdump log and an autolog run.

My last correspondence received from Bitdefender on this was on 09/20/2014. Since then, I have sent weekly e-mails to them asking for some sort of resolution or workaround.

This computer is used as both a file server and a print server for all the other computers on my network. Until this is resolved and I am able to set the Stealth Mode to 'OFF' and the Generic to 'Yes", my only workaround is to use a flash drive to move things from one computer to another and to print from the flash drive. Not an acceptable method, considering that this is a SERVER and not meant to be used as a desktop.

I have given Bitdefender till October 31st, 2014, at which time I am uninstalling Bitdefender and will be asking for a refund.

• Sorry for the late reply.

This issue usually occurs when the driver for your network adapter is outdated. Please update it.

Click on Start > in the Search bar type Device Manager and hit Enter > wait for the list to be populated then expand the Network adapters entry > right-click on each entry below, one by one, and select Update Driver Software > once the process is complete reboot the system.

Please reply here or via email ticket 2014090621140001 and let us know if everything works smoothly or if you need further assistance.