Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Free Edition Status

Options

I emailed Bitdefender asking if the free version would continue to be supported and possibly updated and I got the following response.

Please be kindly informed that all Bitdefender products, paid or free versions, share the same antivirus protection and shall receive technical support as long as they are used. We are glad that you are using our product and please do not hesitate to contact us for any situation you may encounter.

Comments

• Rohugh
    Options

Yes. it has been said many times on the forum by those members who use the free version that there is no problem with the database and definitions being update regularly. I suspect the "being discontinued" rumor has come because the version has not been updated since (I believe) last November.

• Yes. it has been said many times on the forum by those members who use the free version that there is no problem with the database and definitions being update regularly. I suspect the "being discontinued" rumor has come because the version has not been updated since (I believe) last November.

Happy birthday/anniversary to version 1.0.21.1099 :wub:

• I think the virus database is the critical part. Even if the version is old but the virus definition are updated, it should be fine. 1.gif

• I think the virus database is the critical part. Even if the version is old but the virus definition are updated, it should be fine. 1.gif

I agree but some people are getting the idea from somewhere that the free edition has been discontinued.

• Most likely next actual version update will coincide with Windows 10 release to manufacturers/general public release.

Your assumptions are correct only if the developers of antivirus ahead of time and creates superior products exceeds the capabilities of the commercial versions that have recently updated version.

Every day there are tens of thousands of malware. Changes machinery and methods of infection. On the old and more than a year does not update more than a year, and the engine can not achieve the desired detecting the malware. Proactive protection must also evolve over time, and do not stand still. Only rely on the signature should not be.

• Your assumptions are correct only if the developers of antivirus ahead of time and creates superior products exceeds the capabilities of the commercial versions that have recently updated version.

Every day there are tens of thousands of malware. Changes machinery and methods of infection. On the old and more than a year does not update more than a year, and the engine can not achieve the desired detecting the malware. Proactive protection must also evolve over time, and do not stand still. Only rely on the signature should not be.

From Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition's web page:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition uses a combination of Cloud scanning and behavioral analysis to detect new or unknown threats that other antiviruses miss.

Cloud scanning allows for improvements in the scan engine unrestricted by the local software version. This software does not rely solely on signatures.

• From Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition's web page:

Cloud scanning allows for improvements in the scan engine unrestricted by the local software version. This software does not rely solely on signatures.

That's why this antivirus thinks long before detects malware, unlike other antivirus vendors that are not so heavily rely on the cloud.

Do not forget that in the absence of the Internet antivirus capabilities are limited.

• dch48
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That's why this antivirus thinks long before detects malware, unlike other antivirus vendors that are not so heavily rely on the cloud.

Do not forget that in the absence of the Internet antivirus capabilities are limited.

What do you mean by "thinks long"? I have found it to be the fastest and lightest AV I have ever used on all the Windows Versions I've used it with. Vista, 7, 8.1, and even the Windows 10 Preview, it works great with all of them. So good in fact, that it is the only AV I have ever allowed to do automatic scans. Even the Deep Sweep proceeds completely unnoticed.

• lapka
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What do you mean by "thinks long"?

Try to download a malicious file on your computer with this antivirus and see how long the antivirus detects the file as malicious. It will be much longer than with other antivirus products.

The same thing happens if you want to scan the same malicious file. It is the merit of the clouds, which is not too quick.

P.S. I also love this antivirus, and I want it to become even better. And he has the opportunity for growth, despite its advantages and disadvantages.

• It's instantaneous for me. I don't have any problem with BD Free.

• It's instantaneous for me. I don't have any problem with BD Free.

I'm happy for you. But this does not mean that there are no such problems in others.

• I'm happy for you. But this does not mean that there are no such problems in others.

Just stating the fact that BD Free does work as advertised for some. Your post made it sound like it doesn't. Sorry it doesn't work as advertised for you.

• Try to download a malicious file on your computer with this antivirus and see how long the antivirus detects the file as malicious. It will be much longer than with other antivirus products.

The same thing happens if you want to scan the same malicious file. It is the merit of the clouds, which is not too quick.

P.S. I also love this antivirus, and I want it to become even better. And he has the opportunity for growth, despite its advantages and disadvantages.

Well, this is the thing. I would never deliberately download a malicious file. The only thing I will download that gets detected is the EICAR test file.