Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Downgrading From Is To Just Av

Options
Diazruanova
edited November 2014 in Install & register

Hi,

My annual subscription for my BitDefender Internet Security 2015 is about to expire and I was wondering which would be the easiest and/or safest way to downgrade to just the AV version, given the fact that I am no really using the Privacy functions of IS , like parental control, wallet, etc.

1.- Should I UN-Install IS completely (with its own Un-Install utility or simply un-installing from the control panel)?

2.- Can I just install the AV on top of the IS?

3.- Is it enough with just introducing the new AV subscription "License Key" and all the functions I use will be grayed out turning the IS into plain AV?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Rohugh
    Options

Hiya,

Firstly you realize that you will also lose your BD Firewall?

Secondly, if you download and install Bitdefender Antivirus 2015, at the start of the installation it will detect BD IS and ask to un-install it, say yes and follow it through. You will also be asked to reboot your computer, do that. Finally you will have BD AV installed (read all the installation windows carefully) and you can add your AV license.

Ro.

• antikythera
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi,

My annual subscription for my BitDefender Internet Security 2015 is about to expire and I was wondering which would be the easiest and/or safest way to downgrade to just the AV version, given the fact that I am no really using the Privacy functions of IS , like parental control, wallet, etc.

1.- Should I UN-Install IS completely (with its own Un-Install utility or simply un-installing from the control panel)?

2.- Can I just install the AV on top of the IS?

3.- Is it enough with just introducing the new AV subscription "License Key" and all the functions I use will be grayed out turning the IS into plain AV?

Thanks a lot

I've already done the downgrade. The best thing to do is a clean install. it doesn't accept the license key and I had that discussion with Bitdefender Technical Support.

You can't install on top either.

As Ro mentions you will lose the firewall function. So if you have an alternative in place that is no big deal as long as it is configured correctly. Personally, I use a hardware firewall built into my ADSL router which has been tested and bombarded with all sorts to see if it is strong enough.

how to downgrade (belt and braces method).

1. Download the corresponding installation package for BDAV 32-bit or 64-bit from here.

2. Download the uninstall tool for your existing version from here

3. From windows start menu run the uninstall that came with your BDIS.

4. Restart windows in safe mode and then run the uninstall tool to clear up any left overs. Then restart the PC.

5. If you have CCleaner use it to remove errant registry entries (normally MUI related).

6. Install BDAV and enter new license key, register with your existing My Bitdefender account via same email and password.

Job done ;)

• Diazruanova
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thank you very much guys,

...so a complete UN-Install and a thorough one will be my choice! ...(thanks for the links Antikythera)

Yes, I am aware of the Firewall issue, which in reality is not, because in fact, I have been using my Windows 7 FW instead of BD´s one with apparently the same results.

Thanks again to both!!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.